Confirmed with Link: Sens hire Pierre McGuire

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Must we pollute this thread with pictures of known terrorists?

What's funny is that I can imagine Melnyk listening in on TSN 1200 where Pierre McGuire does his usual spiel of positivity for the hometown fans.

"Yes, YES! This is the guy!"

In any event, I'm not equating McGuire to Hannity except for the fact that I could see Melnyk being enamored with something he heard and/or saw.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What's funny is that I can imagine Melnyk listening in on TSN 1200 where Pierre McGuire does his usual spiel of positivity for the hometown fans.

In any event, I'm not equating McGuire to Hannity except for the fact that I could see Melnyk being enamored with something he heard and/or saw.
Lol, yup seems plausible. Maybe even McGuire's TV personality that seems to rub so many the wrong way is the thing that actually appealed to Melnyk and drew him in.

Just teasing on the picture, I'm trying to keep those memories repressed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't really understand what you mean here.

If you're referring to Karlsson, well a soon-to-retire Phillips was the alternative.

They seem to name them and then trade them. Now they do not name a C at all.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
P. McGuire IMO will likely be grateful to EM for giving him an NHL job since most have been reluctant to over the last few yrs for whatever reason. He has interviewed for several NHL jobs over the yrs & apparently not qualified until this one fell into his lap. I assume he will do what he is told to do as PD does & try like hell to stay on EMs good side for as long as he can to take over from PD when the time comes for EM to can him, there time together must be coming to an end soon enough. Should be interesting to watch the dynamics between these three & how well or how badly they get along & who ends up on top. I don't think the Sens are the only team with an over zealous billionaire buffoon running the show, there have been plenty of those in sports over the yrs.

Reactions: Cosmix

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
How there still straight up analytics vs eye test debates lol. I HATE saying “both sides”. But guys. Both sides. Use literally every piece of data you can find if you want to analyze. Where’s the harm.

Pierre McGuire is funny cuz he will say stuff like “yeah and look at Blake Coleman playing a key part in a cup win bet the ANALYTICS GUYS in their MOMs basement didn’t see THAT coming”.
(The Analytics guys in their moms basement have been screaming for every single team to trade for Blake Coleman since I can remember ).
I bet if Coleman never went to tampa there would be some saying “hehe analytics is there to tell you players like Blake Coleman are actually good hehe”
So. Pierre might be key in getting us good player. If by accident
I don't think anybody here is saying analytics alone are sufficient. In fact the best insights probably occur when analytics and the eye test disagree. It would be a pity to only rely on one at the expense of the other.

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think anybody here is saying analytics alone are sufficient. In fact the best insights probably occur when analytics and the eye test disagree. It would be a pity to only rely on one at the expense of the other.
No one should ever rely just on one.

I just feel like it’s the “eye test” people that just totally disregard analytics. Analytics people are like “yeah definitely don’t rely just on one”

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Years of Pierre McGuire pumping the Sens' tires on Ottawa radio has paid off.

Reactions: Cosmix and NyQuil

Carrie Underwood

Jul 28, 2010
He's not wrong. Hockey isn't a mathematical equation. He's just saying that intangibles are equally if not more important then raw data. Hockey is a team sport. Depends on personalities, leadership, playing off strengths etc. Can't look at someones raw data on a different team and expect the same results.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Let me just say this:

If contract status is the prevailing reason behind who you select to lead the players on the ice, it says something about your commitment to being competitive, and it may also factor in if we want to re-sign Brady Tkachuk down the road.

The worst case scenario if he leaves as Captain - WE NAME ANOTHER CAPTAIN. Oh, the humiliation!

Tkachuk has been a leader from the moment he became a Senator and he has grown in to that role more fully each year. That won't change if he isn't wearing a C (he will certainly have an A at minimum).

Giving him the C to entice him to sign doesn't make sense IMO - the dollars and years need to make sense, that is all but if he wants to bet on himself as he most likely will do I have no problem with handing the C to Chabot so we can that continuity for many more years.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

You are over thinking this - Pierre is one of the only guys who would come here for $2-300K (or whatever he makes) with some NHL experience, knowledge players etc. He’s the best and most qualified candidate who dropped of his resume…. It was a short pile.

Reactions: pzeeman

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Giving him the C to entice him to sign doesn't make sense IMO - the dollars and years need to make sense, that is all but if he wants to bet on himself as he most likely will do I have no problem with handing the C to Chabot so we can that continuity for many more years.

I just think it should be the best candidate, not who is going to be around the longest.

I thought it was Chabot, now I think it's Tkachuk, it appears the organization thinks the same but is trying to leverage it to entice Brady to sign a longer contract.

In my opinion, the "C" has no place in contract negotiations.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
No one should ever rely just on one.

I just feel like it’s the “eye test” people that just totally disregard analytics. Analytics people are like “yeah definitely don’t rely just on one”

It definitely goes both ways. I've seen countless people argue about players they've never seen using stats only while being so sure that their opinion on that player is more accurate than someone else who's watched the players.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I just think it should be the best candidate, not who is going to be around the longest.

I thought it was Chabot, now I think it's Tkachuk, it appears the organization thinks the same but is trying to leverage it to entice Brady to sign a longer contract.

I think they are so close we can't go wrong but that the impact the C has on how players respect a leader in the room or on the ice is over-stated. In every facet of life there are natural leaders and people generally gravitate to them based on their consistent behaviours so the fact is that both of those guys will have their influence regardless.

The bolded I agree with 100% but I am not sure if the C is actually being used in negotiations or not? I can see them negotiating the contract on the standard metrics and then having contract status as part of the consideration for who gets the C - that seems logical and reasonable to me in this case.

If Brady was clearly the only leader on the team I may feel differently but seems like a solid group and from a marketing perspective the C does come in to play.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think the stats are a great tool ,but not the be all and end all when it comes to scouting players...People cant be summed up their worth by numbers alone

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Anyone with a good hockey eye can dismiss an advanced stat for what it is. Cosches are going to trust their instincts and hopefully consider the value of stats vs their potential personal bias.

Stat only observers have nothing else to fall back on.

Pierre’s been in hockey for a long time. His eye is a great addition to our team.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Analytics can be a useful tool in assessing player performance and will improve in the future as new methods of tracking observable player behaviours on the ice (e.g., zone entries/exits, passing performance & accuracy, shooting performance & accuracy, body checking, back checking, defensive zone positioning, skating ability to separate from opponents, etc.) are developed. At this time, some tools are either not very advanced or have weaknesses due to lack of tracking data.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
How is this an ongoing discussion?

It’s not one method or another. Or one source or another.

All info is valuable. Obviously if you narrow your lens to far you will miss out on important stuff.

What a vortex of disappearing time :)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Ya, and I don't think the strategy is going to work either. I'm guessing most players will strongly prefer the money and better contract than the "C".

On a completely different note, I'm sure glad we were sheltered and leadered by a player like Stepan last year.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Garrioch reports Dorion saying “But it was made very clear to me that he reports to me.”

What do you make of that?

HahHaHaHa.
Sounds like a guy that lacks confidence, or that is unsure of his status.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
How is this an ongoing discussion?

It’s not one method or another. Or one source or another.

All info is valuable. Obviously if you narrow your lens to far you will miss out on important stuff.

What a vortex of disappearing time :)

Who are you responding to?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad