News Article: Sens hire DJ Smith as head coach

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Capuano is an interesting choice for us actually. He LOVES offense from the D. He encourages them to rush, join the rush, etc often. It's is a great fit for today's game and our emerging D corps or Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, JBD, etc. BUT, Florida was a freakin trainwreck defensively. Either the talent wasn't there or we couldn't deploy them properly.

But we may have better suited players for that style. Not better players, just a better fit for what he does with the D.

Good, I like my Ds to rush the puck up ice, taking calculated but not stupidly risky plays, plus join the rush as third wave attack after the three forwards have entered the O-zone. Makes for a more thrilling game with higher scoring. BUT, and that is a BIG BUT, the Ds must be able to get back ultra fast to play defense too. Requires excellent skaters which we seem to have a few of: Chabot, Wolanin, Brannson, Ceci. The rest of the D men: Borowiecki, Harpur, DeMelo might not fit that mold.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It sounds like kelly will continue in player development or some other similar role or not be involved in hockey at all

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So far I'm liking what I'm hearing from DJ Smith especially that he loves the way the Tkachuk's play. Hopefully, he builds this team the way St Louis has & we end up with a big tough skilled team.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Kelly should be our GM one day. Stick a bit closer to home and less road warrior work as a scout - just want him to stay. But he seems like more of a manager to me then a coach

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It wouldn't surprise me if Chris Kelly & Troy Mann both return to Belleville for another yr especially if they have the makings of a good team that could go all the way next season. It would be good recognition for both to help them promote themselves.

Reactions: Cosmix

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if Chris Kelly & Troy Mann both return to Belleville for another yr especially if they have the makings of a good team that could go all the way next season. It would be good recognition for both to help them promote themselves.
We already know Troy Mann is still their head coach. He has a contract...

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Kelly should be our GM one day. Stick a bit closer to home and less road warrior work as a scout - just want him to stay. But he seems like more of a manager to me then a coach

A bit of a stretch to be a GM when he is just getting his feet wet in an assistant coaching and player development role.
Would hate to see him leave the organization since his strength appears to be working directly with the players.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I read an article in the jdm and Chabot said we have the best coach for us. He have a good chat with DJ and he like what he hear

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I read an article in the jdm and Chabot said we have the best coach for us. He have a good chat with DJ and he like what he hear

Chabot has never been coached by Smith, he'll just say whatever the team wants to hear.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Chabot is smart he lets Dorion sign him to a contract that eats up his RFA years and walks him straight to UFA. I expect a deal that leaves him with 1 RFA year because the long term money would be too much for Melnyk to swallow. Chabot shouldn't worry but If I was him, I would not be signing long term for anything under 10 million.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Sen's DJ
“I think the St. Louis Blues and Boston, both, are the way we want to play,” he said, addressing the media before teeing off in the Senators Alumni golf tournament Friday.
“We want to be physical. We don’t want to give you anything. I think you saw that with St. Louis in the end, the way they shut that down in the second half (of Game 7). That’s the way you can win in this league.” --- Maybe he should bring in Boucher as an assistant.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJB

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Sen's DJ
“I think the St. Louis Blues and Boston, both, are the way we want to play,” he said, addressing the media before teeing off in the Senators Alumni golf tournament Friday.
“We want to be physical. We don’t want to give you anything. I think you saw that with St. Louis in the end, the way they shut that down in the second half (of Game 7). That’s the way you can win in this league.” --- Maybe he should bring in Boucher as an assistant.

Interesting to hear Neil make those comments even if they aren't surprising. It's a tough balancing act for a coach to be accepting of input from the players when things aren't working and getting them to stick with something when you think its just a matter of getting the bounces or developing the chemistry to make a systwm instictive.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
If Chabot is smart he lets Dorion sign him to a contract that eats up his RFA years and walks him straight to UFA. I expect a deal that leaves him with 1 RFA year because the long term money would be too much for Melnyk to swallow. Chabot shouldn't worry but If I was him, I would not be signing long term for anything under 10 million.
I think he signs something like an 8 x 8mill contract in the offseason if he can. for a 22 year old to get a 64 million dollar contact locked up it's tough to turn that down.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Sen's DJ

Love what I'm hearing from DJ Smith & very glad they got rid of Boucher. Neil should have jersey-ed Boucher.

Reactions: Variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad