News Article: Sens hire DJ Smith as head coach

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Don't know too much about him personally, but around the league he is very highly regarded.

He's been constantly rumoured the past 2 seasons as a guy that would definitely become a head coach at some point.

He may be a budget hire, but we definitely could of done worse for sure.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don't know too much about him personally, but around the league he is very highly regarded.

He's been constantly rumoured the past 2 seasons as a guy that would definitely become a head coach at some point.

He may be a budget hire, but we definitely could of done worse for sure.

I feel similarly. I was wary of an untested college guy, and the two sequels (Martin and Bowness). I also thought that Patrick Roy was a disaster waiting to happen - his emotions and ego would have inevitably clashed with the GM and/or owner, and in a very public fashion.

Smith is probably a good compromise between "inspired" and "safe" as a choice. As you say, there is no shortage of people around the league who saw him as one of the best up and comers in the assistant ranks...

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Leafs fans will be happy indeed. He had poor management of special teams for the Leafs and their defensive assignments at times. He's been blamed for a lot of poor decisions in deployment too. So...we're going to suck, probably. Which is fine, since we want a lottery pick the next few years I imagine.

Smith was probably cheap to hire as well. McGuire and J.R. were discussing salary talks with the Senators and McGuire basically inferred that salary should never come up at first. Which works fine for us, since we can't pay them.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->