News Article: Sens hire DJ Smith as head coach

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
What do we think about the rumour we're interested in Capuano?
The "at least we tried" story. I am sure Capuano who has received a fairly nice salary as an associate coach and before that an NHL head coach is just chomping at the bit to become one of the lowest paid assistant coaches in the league.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Capuano is an interesting choice for us actually. He LOVES offense from the D. He encourages them to rush, join the rush, etc often. It's is a great fit for today's game and our emerging D corps or Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, JBD, etc. BUT, Florida was a freakin trainwreck defensively. Either the talent wasn't there or we couldn't deploy them properly.

But we may have better suited players for that style. Not better players, just a better fit for what he does with the D.

Reactions: Cosmix

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The "at least we tried" story. I am sure Capuano who has received a fairly nice salary as an associate coach and before that an NHL head coach is just chomping at the bit to become one of the lowest paid assistant coaches in the league.
You realize the Sens also had an associate coach for the last three years, right?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Capuano was a really bad Head Coach, but having a guy who has been in that position before could actually be a big benefit to DJ. I wouldn't hate it if it comes to fruition. Not as happy as would have been with Boughner, but happier than if the Sens just shoehorned some alumni in to that role (Kelly and Donovan or something).

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Just so I am clear,

DJ Smith - Played for AVS, Leafs. Assistant Coached Leafs - Almost got Islanders job
Marc Crawford - Played for the Canucks, coached the Avs, Nordiques, Stars, Kings, and Sens
Jack Capuano - Played for Leafs, Canucks, Bruins - Coached Islanders
Chris Kelly - Played for Sens, Bruins - Assistant Coached Sens

Still not sure how Kevin Bacon fits into all of this...

Reactions: Clayonator

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Capuano was a really bad Head Coach, but having a guy who has been in that position before could actually be a big benefit to DJ. I wouldn't hate it if it comes to fruition. Not as happy as would have been with Boughner, but happier than if the Sens just shoehorned some alumni in to that role (Kelly and Donovan or something).

He wasn’t really bad, he was just in a tough position and was held onto for a couple years too long.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Just so I am clear,

DJ Smith - Played for AVS, Leafs. Assistant Coached Leafs - Almost got Islanders job
Marc Crawford - Played for the Canucks, coached the Avs, Nordiques, Stars, Kings, and Sens
Jack Capuano - Played for Leafs, Canucks, Bruins - Coached Islanders
Chris Kelly - Played for Sens, Bruins - Assistant Coached Sens

Still not sure how Kevin Bacon fits into all of this...

not sure if you meant Crawford is still here, but he just went to Chicago.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm starting to like what I'm seeing from this rebuild, hopefully, this coaching staff will play a tough style of hockey that are really hard to play against.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm starting to like what I'm seeing from this rebuild, hopefully, this coaching staff will play a tough style of hockey that are really hard to play against.
Real 200 ft hockey,I want an hell bent forecheck,and players that will win puck battles all over the ice

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think you're on to something here. please continue....

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Did you have a chance to read through the thread, or you just cherry picking posts??

ya I read it and ya I saw your eat shorts post. I'll happily volunteer to stop by with some salt and pepper for you and record the event.

I read top to bottom and comment as I go if I feel like commenting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad