Proposal: Sens' highway to very fast rebuild

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
None of the trades work. Sens will get pennies on the dollar for all their key assets.

I would recommend they build around French Canadian players for the future.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Would Sens fans be on board for that? Burn it down to the ground and accelerate the process.

Trade Karlsson to Tampa for Sergachev+++

Trade extended Duchene to NYI for a futures heavy package

Trade RFA Stone to Colorado for their own Sens 1st 2019

Getting a huge haul from Tampa and Islanders + their own 1st back and the Sens suddenly could look like a very rich and healthy rebuilding team. Especially with the young pieces they already have (Chabot, Brown, White, Tkachuk, Gustavsson...)

Sure they'll suck this upcoming year but who cares? Not like keeping those players would change anything at this point.

+ They'd have a shot a Hughes or at least another top 5 pick next year.

Steps for rebuild:
(1) Fire Dorion as he seems to be a little lost when it comes to being a GM of a team
(2) Have Melnyk sell the team (even relocate if they have to).
(3) Trade Duchene for who ever offers the best prospect/picks package
(4) Sign and Trade Karlsson - give him the 8 years and 88 Million and move him to a team that can provide you youth and picks
(5) Find a trading partner for Bobby Ryan (get a bag of pucks for him if you have to)

Once you have younger assets and picks, you tank for 2 seasons (rebuild) and draft well - you have a boat load of free cash and sign some complimentary UFA's in the 2020 season (heck if things are going good make some offersheets depending on how many picks and prospects you get for Karlsson and Duchene).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
None of the trades work. Sens will get pennies on the dollar for all their key assets.

I would recommend they build around French Canadian players for the future.
bhd_ad_gob-pennies.gif

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Would Sens fans be on board for that? Burn it down to the ground and accelerate the process.

Trade Karlsson to Tampa for Sergachev+++

Trade extended Duchene to NYI for a futures heavy package

Trade RFA Stone to Colorado for their own Sens 1st 2019

Getting a huge haul from Tampa and Islanders + their own 1st back and the Sens suddenly could look like a very rich and healthy rebuilding team. Especially with the young pieces they already have (Chabot, Brown, White, Tkachuk, Gustavsson...)

Sure they'll suck this upcoming year but who cares? Not like keeping those players would change anything at this point.

+ They'd have a shot a Hughes or at least another top 5 pick next year.

Yeah, the Oilers rebuild theory... doesn't work. Forced too many young players to play in roles they were in no way ready for... expect 10+ years of a rebuild. The most successful way to rebuild is to have some decent talent and strong leadership in the lineup to shelter the young players from being rushed into the lineup and then being forced into roles they are not ready for.

I don't feel the Sens fanbase (the ones that buy tickets) has the fortitude... or maybe better said "as stupid"... as the Oilers faithful and at least the Oiler had an owner that was willing to spend the money.

One last comment... I highly doubt Stone alone gets you that pick back. Stone is a very good player but a very strong shot at 1OA is probably more enticing to the Avs.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If the Sens are 100% guaranteed to finish last (they are not), the pick is still likely to be 4th. Statistically speaking, it is highly unlikely that the Sens pick is in the top 3 next year.

In a vacuum, I suspect a lot of teams would give the 4th-8th overall pick for Mark Stone.

So then Stone for the Sens 1st, lottery protected ...

How about something like this... Stone to the Avs for 2019 Sens 1st, top 3OA protected... if it ends up being a top 3OA then the Sens get the Avs 2019 1st + the Avs 2019 2nd and (conditional on the Avs making the 2019 playoffs) the Avs 2020 2nd?

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If the Sens are 100% guaranteed to finish last (they are not), the pick is still likely to be 4th. Statistically speaking, it is highly unlikely that the Sens pick is in the top 3 next year.

In a vacuum, I suspect a lot of teams would give the 4th-8th overall pick for Mark Stone.

Statistically speaking, the chances are very slim that it's 1st overall. At best it's there's an 18.5%, and that's based on Ottawa finishing dead last - which in it self is also unlikely. Most of the time, the team finishing last is trying to tank - which Ottawa won't be doing because they don't have the pick.

IMO Stone is worth more than a very slim chance at Hughes. The guy was PPG and is defensively speaking, the best top 6 winger in the league.

lol cmon now...
How many drafts have had the top 8 be better than Stone? You're exaggerating quite a bit.

You're looking at this from a Senators point of view but that's not how the Avs would view it. There's a very strong chance that the Ottawa 2019 1st round pick ends up a Top-10 pick PLUS a chance at a Top-3 pick.

There isn't only going to be Jack Hughes in this draft. It's still early but players like Alex Newhook, Dylan Cozens, Kaapo Kakko, Kirby Dach and Peyton Krebs to name a few are set to be high first round picks and might be available with that pick. Not to mention that whoever that player ends up being, he would not require expansion protection while Mark Stone would...why is Colorado doing this again??

Put it this way, from an Avs perspective : I like Mark Stone a lot but that 1st round pick should be off-limits. I get that it's essentially 'their' pick but they lost that right to it when they decided to select Tkachuk.

Now it belongs to the Avalanche and if we trade it away, WE are the ones knowingly trading away a potential high lottery pick. I don't think it's going to happen.

As far as tanking, sometimes even when you're trying to win...you can't because you're just not good enough and you end up with a 48 point season. (just an example)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad