Proposal: Sens' highway to very fast rebuild

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You really believe "Stone is one of the top 10 wingers in the game" and that he is worth the third OA pick? Does someone really have to come up with a list of 10 wingers in the NHL that are better than Stone?

Kane
Ovi
Kessel
Pastrnak
Marchand
Kucherov
Tarasenko
Rakell
Benn
Panarin
Forsberg
Pacioretty
Boeser
Gaudreau
Giroux
Voracek
Rantanen
Marner
Laine
Wheeler

So do Ottawa fans think Stone is in the top 10 of these wingers?
Last season I would say yes....

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Did someone say fancy stats?

Attachments

• CA4B2503-81D3-40A1-9428-C0B84EA710B3.png
    CA4B2503-81D3-40A1-9428-C0B84EA710B3.png
    115 KB · Views: 14

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
Did someone say fancy stats?

:thumbu:

And remember: this is with Couturier being ridden by the Flyers like a rented mule, playing against the best opposing players with limited support (crappy linemates) and also playing while seriously injured at least two years.

I can't stand the Flyers, but Couturier might just be the most underrated player in the league.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
:thumbu:

And remember: this is with Couturier being ridden by the Flyers like a rented mule, playing against the best opposing players with limited support (crappy linemates) and also playing while seriously injured at least two years.

I can't stand the Flyers, but Couturier might just be the most underrated player in the league.

Yep. I love Stone but the numbers show that Courturier has faced tougher competition while playing largely with less effective teammates. Despite this, he still has managed to be a player where his team's offence increases when he is on the ice. Stone though is shown to be a better offensive player but appears to play a more sheltered role (not too significant but still notable)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
My vision is fine. Please tell us all which 11 players on that list are that he's better than.
Rakell,Boesner,Kessel,Patches are 4 I wouldnt move Stone for and would be very debateable...Giroux and Vorachek ,would be questionable for us to trade for

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
Yep. I love Stone but the numbers show that Courturier has faced tougher competition while playing largely with less effective teammates. Despite this, he still has managed to be a player where his team's offence increases when he is on the ice. Stone though is shown to be a better offensive player but appears to play a more sheltered role (not too significant but still notable)

Thanks for posting this. Flyers fans can also speak to how Couturier played through some bad injuries (he and Wayne Simmonds are true warriors) and how bad the Flyers goaltending was in recent years.

I've been hoping since he got into the league that the Flyers would give him a chance on the top line instead of saddling him with overwhelming defensive responsibilities year after year with ZERO support.

I'm really not sure what to tell anyone who thinks Stone is a better player to have on a team than Couturier. Maybe watch a few Flyers games (ideally in person where you can focus on a single player and watch what they do on the ice throughout the shift). Given a choice of players at this stage in their careers I would probably choose Couturier over Bergeron if I was picking a team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thanks for posting this. Flyers fans can also speak to how Couturier played through some bad injuries (he and Wayne Simmonds are true warriors) and how bad the Flyers goaltending was in recent years.

I've been hoping since he got into the league that the Flyers would give him a chance on the top line instead of saddling him with overwhelming defensive responsibilities year after year with ZERO support.

I'm really not sure what to tell anyone who thinks Stone is a better player to have on a team than Couturier. Maybe watch a few Flyers games (ideally in person where you can focus on a single player and watch what they do on the ice throughout the shift). Given a choice of players at this stage in their careers I would probably choose Couturier over Bergeron if I was picking a team.
Ok this is your shared opinion ,which is fine ...But there would be just as many that would disagree which is also fine...No need to get into a shoving match over two players that will likely ever get traded for one another

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Rakell,Boesner,Kessel,Patches are 4 I wouldnt move Stone for and would be very debateable...Giroux and Vorachek ,would be questionable for us to trade for

I would agree with this list for the most part. Patches is the only one who regularly has better adv stats than Stone with Giroux being the next closest at times and Boesner is young still so he can't be rated on the same scale but yeah, I would take Stone over any of these players pretty easily.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018

As a (former, pre-Bergevin) Habs fan I'll give you Pacioretty. But healthy Giroux is on a completely different level - higher - than Stone. As far as the others, all I'll say is spend some time watching them next year and still see if you still feel the same way about Stone.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I would agree with this list for the most part. Patches is the only one who regularly has better adv stats than Stone with Giroux being the next closest at times and Boesner is young still so he can't be rated on the same scale but yeah, I would take Stone over any of these players pretty easily.
Yeah players in the exact scale we have been talking about can be anywhere,and nowhere in one season...They are all pretty good,some are for sure better..Some arent....The bottom end of the top 10 to 20 is where Stone is ...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
As a (former, pre-Bergevin) Habs fan I'll give you Pacioretty. But healthy Giroux is on a completely different level - higher - than Stone. As far as the others, all I'll say is spend some time watching them next year and still see if you still feel the same way about Stone.
5 years ago i would have never mentioned him,I only said as far as us trading him ,as Giroux is a bit older and has more miles on him ...Which is the only reason as to why ,ditto Vorachek..As far as the rest the exact same thing could be said of Stone whom was on pace for a 80 point season last year

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
right? still cant believe they got him for a playeer that wanted to be traded. Yzerman is satan.If Erik goes there its for barely anything

Yzerman is God. And Bergevin is the village idiot. Ottawa fans should be worried, because Dorion doesn't appear to be too bright.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
You really believe "Stone is one of the top 10 wingers in the game" and that he is worth the third OA pick? Does someone really have to come up with a list of 10 wingers in the NHL that are better than Stone?

Kane
Ovi
Kessel
Pastrnak
Marchand
Kucherov
Tarasenko
Rakell
Benn
Panarin
Forsberg
Pacioretty
Boeser
Gaudreau
Giroux
Voracek
Rantanen
Marner
Laine
Wheeler

So do Ottawa fans think Stone is in the top 10 of these wingers?
Some other wingers better than or as good as Stone

Hall
Ehlers?
Gallagher
Arviidson
Radulov
Gourde
Zucker
maybe even JVR

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
5 years ago i would have never mentioned him,I only said as far as us trading him ,as Giroux is a bit older and has more miles on him ...Which is the only reason as to why ,ditto Vorachek..As far as the rest the exact same thing could be said of Stone whom was on pace for a 80 point season last year

Got it.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Hall
Ehlers?
Gallagher
Arviidson
Radulov
Gourde
Zucker
maybe even JVR

Tableau Public

JVR is a great comparable for Stone. Stone plays tougher competition w better teammates but everything else is super close. Its not too common you see players that matchup as well as those two.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Hall
Ehlers?
Gallagher
Arviidson
Radulov
Gourde
Zucker
maybe even JVR

Players I'd take ahead of Stone (not factoring age)
Gourde, Gallagher, Hall, Zucker

Players I wouldn't (not factoring age)
Radulov (maybe when he was younger), JVR, Arvidson, Ehlers

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Better make sure you do the Colorado deal first.

No way do they accept just Mark Stone for what could be the No. 1 Overall Pick.

i like the OP's idea here but if Colorado is in any way in line for the #1 overall next year, then in my opinion only a trade for Karlsson would have gotten the Sens that pick back, otherwise keep dreaming ! you potentially add a franchise player in Jack Hughes to an already in the playoffs this past year Colorado and they could be cup bound a whole lot faster than they thought they could ! o_O

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I would've expected that Stone would be significantly superior 5 on 5 compared to JVR.

The stats may be skewed as far as JVR playing less minutes and playing against other team's lesser lines but he's done well for himself the last few years. Mark Stone is the better play imo but the gap isn't as huge as I would have thought either.

That being said, Stone is younger, faces better competition, and has a bit more room to fill in his defensive side whereas I expect to see 2 more years of JVR at this level before he starts his offensive decline (which based on style, should be slow assuming there's no major injuries)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad