Proposal: Sens' highway to very fast rebuild

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Would Sens fans be on board for that? Burn it down to the ground and accelerate the process.

Trade Karlsson to Tampa for Sergachev+++

Trade extended Duchene to NYI for a futures heavy package

Trade RFA Stone to Colorado for their own Sens 1st 2019

Getting a huge haul from Tampa and Islanders + their own 1st back and the Sens suddenly could look like a very rich and healthy rebuilding team. Especially with the young pieces they already have (Chabot, Brown, White, Tkachuk, Gustavsson...)

Sure they'll suck this upcoming year but who cares? Not like keeping those players would change anything at this point.

+ They'd have a shot a Hughes or at least another top 5 pick next year.

Reactions: Mitts888

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
You are still missing a crucial step. Melnyk, Dorion, and 1st 2023 to any team for future considerations. Sen's would probably prefer a rival team or in division team...

Also, I personally think Sen's should do a scorched earth and recover any and all assets and just start over. I'm also not a Sen's fan though, just an outsider's view.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Carolina offers Bean, Gauthier, and Rask for Duchene assuming he would resign.

Pick up Sergechev++ for Karlsson plus the youth Ottawa has and that is a good start at a rebuild.

Reactions: sheriff bart

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Would Sens fans be on board for that? Burn it down to the ground and accelerate the process.

Is a future heavy package a top 5 protected 1st+ Bellows? Because that is as high as I want to go for a #2C.

Isles may have to slide Bailey back to the #2C position, but that is more likely then a huge overpay for Duchene.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Only if the highway didn't look so much like this..

maxresdefault.jpg

It will be really hard for anything to happen quickly there.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Playing kids alone ,yeah we arent likely to do this ...We want young nhl talent involved in any deal for EK,and would likely look to build around a core involving Stone Duchene and Chabot

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Dorion and Melnyk said the Sens would be competitive next year. That pick will be late.

By virtue of being on the ice and not giving up, any team is competitive but thinking they'll be competing for a playoff spot to get you that late pick isn't realistic.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Who the hell would give up OTT's 1st for Mark Stone?

If the Sens are 100% guaranteed to finish last (they are not), the pick is still likely to be 4th. Statistically speaking, it is highly unlikely that the Sens pick is in the top 3 next year.

In a vacuum, I suspect a lot of teams would give the 4th-8th overall pick for Mark Stone.

Reactions: derriko

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You are still missing a crucial step. Melnyk, Dorion, and 1st 2023 to any team for future considerations. Sen's would probably prefer a rival team or in division team...

Also, I personally think Sen's should do a scorched earth and recover any and all assets and just start over. I'm also not a Sen's fan though, just an outsider's view.

Thats kind of where Im at as a Sens fan. Though without this years pick, no sense in doing it now. BUt perhaps to maximize the value they get from Stone and Duchene they might have to.

I dunno . . . they're in the worst spot I've ever seen them as a fan from the beginning. At least With the expansion teams you had good picks to look forward to, and passionate if not financially limited owners.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018

Trade RFA Stone to Colorado for their own Sens 1st 2019

Getting a huge haul from Tampa and Islanders + their own 1st back and the Sens suddenly could look like a very rich and healthy rebuilding team. Especially with the young pieces they already have (Chabot, Brown, White, Tkachuk, Gustavsson...)

Sure they'll suck this upcoming year but who cares? Not like keeping those players would change anything at this point.

+ They'd have a shot a Hughes or at least another top 5 pick next year.

Colorado isn't trading back the potential for drafting Hughes for Stone. That's Bergevin/Snow/Millbury level stupidity.

Dorion and Melnyk need to go.

I do think they will be blowing up the team once Karlsson is traded. Sergachev, some young Tampa Bay forwards and a cap dump would be a reasonable return for Karlsson.

Duchene was a big mistake and it's probably best for Ottawa to cut their losses now before his value declines further. Trading him now to the Islanders for draft picks or blue ribbon prospects makes sense. Probably would have to take a cap dump like Ladd back as well.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Keeping Stone and Duchene will go a long way in a fast rebuild. Senators already have solid prospect depth coming through the ranks they need to insulate those players. You don’t win in the league with nothing but kids playing at the top of your lineup, it’s been proven time and time again.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

paragon

May 5, 2010
Here's a thing all people making these threads don't get. Why would Karlsson or Duchene agree to an extension and make their news teams worse? There's no benefit to it and it rarely happens. Sign and trades happen almost exclusively with RFAs.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Who the hell would give up OTT's 1st for Mark Stone?

A certain subset of Avs fans on this board has an unhealthy obsession with Mark Stone and with trading one of our 1sts (because we have two so we can afford to trade one, right ? )

I have 0 interest in trading that pick for Mark Stone. Especially if it happens after arbitration.

That pick should under no circumstances be traded. If it ends up as the #22 pick next season then I am fine with it as well.Too bad. But the gamble was fine. Just don't trade it..

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Here's a thing all people making these threads don't get. Why would Karlsson or Duchene agree to an extension and make their news teams worse? There's no benefit to it and it rarely happens. Sign and trades happen almost exclusively with RFAs.
Happened with Turris

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If the Sens are 100% guaranteed to finish last (they are not), the pick is still likely to be 4th. Statistically speaking, it is highly unlikely that the Sens pick is in the top 3 next year.

In a vacuum, I suspect a lot of teams would give the 4th-8th overall pick for Mark Stone.

Not only that. Sens will not tank on purpose without their 1st. Sure they might still finish a bottom team but they'll try their best to be competitive because they have zero incentive not to (and they are very aware that handing a top 5 pick to Colorado would make them look real bad).

So I'm convinced that the end result will not be the same if they own their 1st vs if they don't.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018

I suspect you're wrong. Looking at the 2019 draft class the likely 4th-8th OA picks are all > Stone.

And the chance of the 31st place team picking first/second/third is higher than it is for specifically picking fourth.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
It'll never work cause they don't pay to keep their players and wives of players either are harassing one another or setting each other on fire.

But seriously, they'll never be done the rebuild till Melnyk is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad