Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Flyers Apr. 2 1 p.m. Eastern| MOD Warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well since we have no money and will be paying 2 coaches not to coach, this place will explode when Luke gets promoted to head coach.

BM: Luke has done a great job in Bingo and was highly sought after so welcome LR as our new head coach.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well since we have no money and will be paying 2 coaches not to coach, this place will explode when Luke gets promoted to head coach.

BM: Luke has done a great job in Bingo and was highly sought after so welcome LR as our new head coach.

Richardson will just come in and do some charity work and work for free, right?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
No, we did exactly this with Maclean and Richardson. That was part of the reason so many of our call ups were so damn successful in that shortened season. They deliberately played the same systems.

Yeah. In one season. Effectively. Not for a decade like Detroit with Babcock/their whole staff or Boston under Julien.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah. In one season. Effectively. Not for a decade like Detroit with Babcock/their whole staff or Boston under Julien.

This is a strange criticism given that during McLean's tenure, the problem was seldom the callups.

Credit where it's due, he brought that philosophy with him from Detroit and are call ups seem to have done well. Grant looked good as a callup in 13/14

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
This is a strange criticism given that during McLean's tenure, the problem was seldom the callups.

Credit where it's due, he brought that philosophy with him from Detroit and are call ups seem to have done well. Grant looked good as a callup in 13/14

It isn't a criticism of Maclean. But of the organization in general.

Well basically I want an organizational structure like Boston or Detroit. And if Julien was available it would be a great addition. Maybe he would want to keep Cameron in the AHL as head coach or as an assistant? Or Richardson.

I don't want to trash this organization at all. But we obviously need change. Even if we were doing better Murray is going to have to hand over the reigns regardless soon just due to his health. If Julien somehow was available I think he knows a lot about building a winning hockey organization and winning strategy and systems. And in development.

He is top tier. If we could get him he is worth giving the world to. He is worth subtracting his salary from the player cap payroll if it came down to that. There is no better way for this organization to spend 3.5-5 million dollars a year. Nothing would help us more.

That said I doubt Julien moves from Boston this offseason.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It isn't a criticism of Maclean. But of the organization in general.

Well basically I want an organizational structure like Boston or Detroit. And if Julien was available it would be a great addition. Maybe he would want to keep Cameron in the AHL as head coach or as an assistant? Or Richardson.

I don't want to trash this organization at all. But we obviously need change. Even if we were doing better Murray is going to have to hand over the reigns regardless soon just due to his health. If Julien somehow was available I think he knows a lot about building a winning hockey organization and winning strategy and systems. And in development.

He is top tier. If we could get him he is worth giving the world to. He is worth subtracting his salary from the player cap payroll if it came down to that. There is no better way for this organization to spend 3.5-5 million dollars a year. Nothing would help us more.

That said I doubt Julien moves from Boston this offseason.

I really agree that Julien would be a great hire, and that he's likely not going to be available, I just think that as far as establishing a system in the farm team that aligns itself to the big club, well, we were already doing that (hard to tell this year, as Bingo lost so much skill before the season started).

If we're hiring a new coach, that's about 1 mil per year min, and my guess is that a hire like Julien would a) create some much needed positive energy wrt ticket sales, b) help get us wins, again resulting in ticket sales and c) probably be enough to get us into the playoffs, maybe even go more than one round, again resulting it ticket sales.

I firmly believe that if a guy like Julien is available, it's a no brainer, as he practically pays for himself.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If Julien leaves Boston and we don't offer him the gig here, I don't know what to say. I mean, he might not be interested in coming, but if he is we should meet his demands, be they 5 mil per or whatever.

Why? Because with a decent coach, we make the playoffs, which means extra revenue and Julien pays for himself.

I totally agree with this whole post, but the bolded is a scenario in which I think it doesn't get done.

Flat out, I have zero faith in Melnyk spending that much money on any coach, even if it were Scotty Bowman.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I totally agree with this whole post, but the bolded is a scenario in which I think it doesn't get done.

Flat out, I have zero faith in Melnyk spending that much money on any coach, even if it were Scotty Bowman.

I actually think Euge would do it for CJ. The biggest hurdle would be for him to become available imo.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Really sad, but your probably right. Thats a huge bill that we can't afford as a budget team that already will be paying for 3 head coaches salaries...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Really sad, but your probably right. Thats a huge bill that we can't afford as a budget team that already will be paying for 3 head coaches salaries...

SO do the coaches get there full pay for the duration.

Does MacLean getting an assistant job, mean he still gets paid a full senators salary? or does Anaheim get him for free on our behalf, how does this all work out when the dust settles. Who pays

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Cameron makes like 800k. No way we pay 5mil for a coach. Not a chance. I'd be shocked at anything more than 2mil for a coach.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm generally not a "fire the coach" guy, and I dislike knee jerk reactions against coaches. Having said that, the giant tire fire that is our special teams play falls directly to the coaching staff. Giving up three PP goals in a game? Having the worst penalty kill in hockey by a significant margin? Unacceptable. For those reasons alone, Cameron should walk the plank.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

This.

And even if a miracle happens and we do get a top coach like Julien, you still need to spend more money on both the NHL and farm team on better assistants (let the coaches hire their own for a change) and to implement the system properly. Like I said before, the off-ice spending is just as important as on-ice. That extra money for top notch staff, training facilities, as much ice as you want, etc etc....all of that factors in just as much as the next coach.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
SO do the coaches get there full pay for the duration.

Does MacLean getting an assistant job, mean he still gets paid a full senators salary? or does Anaheim get him for free on our behalf, how does this all work out when the dust settles. Who pays

Ottawa pays the difference between his head coaching salary here and his assistant coaching salary in Anaheim. If Anaheim pays him more then he doesn't receive anything from Ottawa.

AFAIK.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Cameron makes like 800k. No way we pay 5mil for a coach. Not a chance. I'd be shocked at anything more than 2mil for a coach.

We've interviewed higher profile guys in the past, like Hartley for example. I don't think it's that unrealistic that we'd be willing to pay more for a coach. 5 mil for Julien might be a stretch, by more than 2 mil seems pretty likely imo, provided they don't go the "no experience ath the NHL level route"

I imagine Euge only cares about the bottom line and will let the GM worry about how the budget is spent, so if he's paying 3-4 mil on a coach and ~2 mil less on his roster, what's the difference?

Obviously his financial position has changed, but I imagine when we lured Murray over here to coach, it probably cost more than the average coach, same with Muckler as GM.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Sean Couturier is becoming a pretty dominant player... 30Pts in his last 35 to go along with his godly defense ability

We could have had him instead of Zibanejad :(

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Sean Couturier is becoming a pretty dominant player... 30Pts in his last 35 to go along with his godly defense ability

We could have had him instead of Zibanejad :(

Yet even with 30pts in his last 35gp, he's still only going at a 50pt pace. His stat line of 37pts/59gp is not any better than what Mika has done all season. He's obviously a streaky guy.

I still prefer Mika tbh.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Yet even with 30pts in his last 35gp, he's still only going at a 50pt pace. His stat line of 37pts/59gp is not any better than what Mika has done all season. He's obviously a streaky guy.

I still prefer Mika tbh.

50-55 points is first line production in the NHL... Only 35 players or so will get 60+

Couturier is Bergeron good defense and looks like he might be developing into a 60 point talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad