Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Ducks - Oct 13/ 2013

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hey guys.. commin in peace...What did u guys think about Ryan's comments after the game? funny that PK Subban got ripped by the media after stating that the team had a bad practice.. Ryan pretty much says the same thing but nobody talks about it. I totally agree with what Ryan and Subban said... Is Karlsson always that soft and bad in his own zone?

I missed Ryan's comments, what did he say?

Berserker*

All this talk from MacLean and Methot about the team lacking an identity really reflects poorly on the leadership core IMO. I know that Spezza tends to be the scapegoat around here so I don't really want to throw more blame at him unless it is absolutely necessary. But with that said, it doesn't sound very good when a player becomes the new captain of a team and within 5 games, the head coach and one of the veteran players are questioning the team identity.

Last edited by a moderator:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Better light a fire under Spezza and Karlssons butts. And start Lehner. Sens were one of the funniest teams to watch last year.. not so much so far this year :<

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
The team really seems to be tired and/or out of shape right now, much like how they looked against Pittsburgh last year. They're always a step behind the play which is leading to lost battles, being on the wrong side of the puck which is leading to bad passes as well as turnovers and failed pinches that lead to odd-man rushes against.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
DrEasy's EasyFixes(TM):

- Defense looks disorganized. Karlsson and Phillips should not be paired together. Cowen-Wiercioch as a pairing is too inexperienced. Go back to the Methot-Karlsson pairing, and pair up one vet with one rook:

Methot - Karlsson
Phillips - Wiercioch
Cowen - Corvo

- It pains me to say it, but I think the Da Costa experience must end, at least for the time being. We now probably can slip him through waivers without losing him anyway. If Pageau can't win face offs, he's not going to help either, and so JOB could do that for us until the rest of the team gets better and Pageau plays big minutes in the AHL and comes back with a bang. So, in agreement with MAK and a couple of other commenters:

Da Costa <-> Ziba
Pageau <-> JOB

- Turris has some good chemistry with MacArthur and Ryan, and until Spezza can regain his form, it's Turris who should get first line minutes:

Mac - Turris - Ryan
Conacher - Spezza - Michalek
Greening - Ziba - Condra
Smith - JOB -Neil

- it's still too early to make panic trades. If we're still not in the playoff hunt closer to the trade deadline, then yeah, it will be time to worry and to blow it up to some extent: Anderson, MacArthur should get us some good assets back (Michalek not so much, with the way he's been playing, but he'll have to go as well) and save uncle Eug some dough for this season.

Koffein

Mar 20, 2009
Oslo
Had a feeling Ryan would get one tonight, though quite relieved it stayed at one. Also watched your game vs Sharks and he is looking better than I think he did all last season with the Ducks.
Did Karlsson just have an off weekend or is he still recovering from the injury? Haven't seen him play since the Cooke incident but he did not seem as sharp as I recall these two nights.
Best of luck to you guys for the rest of the season, loved to have Bobby back on retro night and hope he catches fire for real soon, it will happen eventually.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Had a feeling Ryan would get one tonight, though quite relieved it stayed at one. Also watched your game vs Sharks and he is looking better than I think he did all last season with the Ducks.
Did Karlsson just have an off weekend or is he still recovering from the injury? Haven't seen him play since the Cooke incident but he did not seem as sharp as I recall these two nights.
Best of luck to you guys for the rest of the season, loved to have Bobby back on retro night and hope he catches fire for real soon, it will happen eventually.

Thanks a lot bud and likewise. You got a ridiculously fast, high-paced huge physical team. All ingredients of a contender.

What struck me the most when watching the Ducks is their ridiculously good breakout passes and transition of the puck from their zone to a potential breakaway the other way.

Lindholm(I was very high on him draft year) and Vatanen are studs.

Yea, Karlsson still seems to be not 100% in his consistency, the flashes are there but he's trying to play with the new feel it seems. First game of the year he was amazing but since then he feels uncomfortable.

See u on the 24th, I believe.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Having Alfy on this team wouldnt have made a difference.

Sens rarely if ever do well on a huge western road trip. If they play like this at home after a few days off, then I'll be concerned.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Just curious but is anyone who voted in the poll a sens player? I swear sometimes it seem like theres vodka in those water bottles.;)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This team misses Afie's leadership more than people assumed.

Or it's 5 games into the season on a west coast road-trip in which the Sens have always struggled, even when Alfredsson was captain. Were we missing his leadership then too?

This is a team that has a bunch of new faces, and hasn't played together much yet either.

Just give the team time. There's been ups and downs which are to be expected when you have changes, players coming off injury, and opening a season on a 6 game western road trip with 2 back to backs involved.

I mean we've lost 1 game by more than a goal against a very hot team on the 2nd night of a back to back after having played until 1 the night before. Step away from the ledge. I know people are looking for reasons to blame Spezza but take it easy and give the team a chance.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Cujomi said:
Or it's 5 games into the season on a west coast road-trip in which the Sens have always struggled

That's what's so funny about this whole thing. This trip is the standard, not the aberration.

Yes, the games were ugly, but we were 1-11-1 in our last 13 trips to LA.

Not sure what the records were in the other two arenas, but this is hardly new territory.

The difference is that this road trip is at the very beginning of the season, where the implications of every game are magnified.

The team looked tired and slow and was jumped on by two very good and very eager and aggressive teams.

The silver lining is that the team should realize by now that half-assery and fancy plays are not going to be what gets this team back on track. Don't get me started on undisciplined penalties (warranted or not) - which was the story of this road trip last year as well.

Phoenix game should be an interesting one.

It's the old story - first you start winning games you should be losing, then you're getting single points from less than 60 minute performances, and then you start losing.

Then, after rock bottom, you start losing games that you probably should be winning, and then you get your way back into winning ways.

It doesn't always happen like this, but the sort of valley of losing is a gradual drop and then a gradual rise out of it again.

source

Jul 13, 2008
So... who starts in goal next game? It's a tough call for the coach, for sure.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So... who starts in goal next game? It's a tough call for the coach, for sure.

In the post-game, they were talking about the home opener on Thu.

They figured you can start the #1 for the home opener "out of respect" which means they could continue with the hot hand in Lehner.

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

They figured you can start the #1 for the home opener "out of respect" which means they could continue with the hot hand in Lehner.

My guess is Anderson starts in Phoenix and depending on how he plays, he gets the start Thursday.

I think you have to start Anderson on Tuesday. The Sens laid a turd sandwich which caused him to get yanked. That was a message pull not a performance pull as Maclean didn't pull Andy when the team went down 3-0 to the Kings.

Right now, this team doesn't deserve its goaltending. If it wasn't for Andy & Lehner, we'd be getting throttled 9-0 like the Rangers or Oilers.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This team misses Afie's leadership more than people assumed.

We sucked on the West Coast road trip under his overrated leadership as well.

Look, we all conveniently forget how Alfie struggled horribly early in his captaincy in the playoffs. Trying to do too much. Can we not give Spezza a chance, time, to realize that being a captain does not necessarily strapping the team on your back, sometimes less is more.

Alfie had 10 years to figure it out and Spezza gets 4 games.

source

Jul 13, 2008

I think they will go with Anderson. Everyone can see Lehner is a fantastic goalie, but it's too early in the season to mess with the status quo with Anderson as the #1. It would send a bad message to Anderson, who should be given the benefit of the doubt still.

My guess is Anderson starts in Phoenix and depending on how he plays, he gets the start Thursday.

I think you have to start Anderson on Tuesday. The Sens laid a turd sandwich which caused him to get yanked. That was a message pull not a performance pull as Maclean didn't pull Andy when the team went down 3-0 to the Kings.

Right now, this team doesn't deserve its goaltending. If it wasn't for Andy & Lehner, we'd be getting throttled 9-0 like the Rangers or Oilers.

Agreed with this. But, Lehner has looked like the better goalie so far, and this should not really surprise anyone.

Another loss for Anderson followed by two Lehner wins, and then we'll have a situation where Lehner is the 1A.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I love Lehner and I think he's already better than Anderson.

You gotta start Anderson on Phoenix though. His chance to redeem himself and the team for that poor star. Also shows we have confidence in him as the number 1 throw everything he has done last year.

Also, it forces his own fate whether he starts home opener or Lehner who you know will be eagerly waiting.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Hey guys.. commin in peace...What did u guys think about Ryan's comments after the game? funny that PK Subban got ripped by the media after stating that the team had a bad practice.. Ryan pretty much says the same thing but nobody talks about it. I totally agree with what Ryan and Subban said... Is Karlsson always that soft and bad in his own zone?

Funny that everything somehow relates to Subban with these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad