Rumor: Sens don't qualify Anthony Duclair

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Would take him in Vancouver and a 1 year 3.5 million per deal.

Miller-Petey-Duclair or Duclair-Gaudette-Leivo

you must be jokin if you think he would sign that

Sens probably offered at least 2.5m or up to 3m and he balked (my guess)

Any team that plans to sign him will be taking a risk. Inconsistency has plagued him throughout his career.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
you must be jokin if you think he would sign that

Sens probably offered at least 2.5m or up to 3m and he balked (my guess)

Any team that plans to sign him will be taking a risk. Inconsistency has plagued him throughout his career.
I'm not saying he would take a ridiculous offer, but you have to bet there are more than a couple of UFA's looking at the open spot in the Canucks top 6 and seeing a very good opportunity to build some value for themselves. Look at Toffoli: 47 points, 34 points, 48 point (pace), then get on a line with Miller and EP and goes PPG before the shut down. He is going to be paid far better on Friday than he would have been had he not had that short sample in Vancouver. There are certainly guys who will factor that in.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I'm not saying he would take a ridiculous offer, but you have to bet there are more than a couple of UFA's looking at the open spot in the Canucks top 6 and seeing a very good opportunity to build some value for themselves. Look at Toffoli: 47 points, 34 points, 48 point (pace), then get on a line with Miller and EP and goes PPG before the shut down. He is going to be paid far better on Friday than he would have been had he not had that short sample in Vancouver. There are certainly guys who will factor that in.

If Canucks couldn't lock up Toffoli, what makes you think they can Duclair? Especially when he is looking for a similar deal as Toffoli

He put up good point totals. Made the all star team. His value (in his estimation), is as it could ever be.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Not sure I’d be pointing the finger at Melnyk or Dorion after this. Sounds like poor management by Duclair by choosing to represent himself.

Sounds like good management. He’s a UFA coming off his best career season now. Plus he gets to leave the worst owner in the NHL. Becoming a UFA is great for him.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If Canucks couldn't lock up Toffoli, what makes you think they can Duclair? Especially when he is looking for a similar deal as Toffoli

He put up good point totals. Made the all star team. His value (in his estimation), is as it could ever be.

Firstly, you don't know what him or Toffoli are asking for. Second off, both of their teams weren't willing to get to whatever that contract is.
This is shaping up to be a buyers market as a number of pretty solid players hit the market somewhat unexpectedly yesterday, and hardly any teams have any money to spend. There will most certainly be guys who factor that, and a flat cap into their decisions, and going to a very favorable situation to rebuild value may be the way to go. Taylor Hall for one has already stated he will consider a two year deal to ride put the flat cap. When was the last time the best UFA on the market said that?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Sounds like good management. He’s a UFA coming off his best career season now. Plus he gets to leave the worst owner in the NHL. Becoming a UFA is great for him.
It may or may not be good management by Duclair. Only time will tell. He’s taking a gamble, especially by choosing representing himself, when many teams are facing internal salary caps during a pandemic. More players are going to be left without contracts as UFAs this year.

Some guys like Taylor Hall have been reported as willing to take 1 year deals because they understand the current market. Unless it’s someone like Pietrangelo, many players will need to consider less term and/or salary. Duclair apparently turned down a substantial raise (whatever that means), but it sounds like he chose to gamble.

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
It may or may not be good management by Duclair. Only time will tell. He’s taking a gamble, especially by choosing representing himself, when many teams are facing internal salary caps during a pandemic. More players are going to be left without contracts as UFAs this year.

Some guys like Taylor Hall have been reported as willing to take 1 year deals because they understand the current market. Unless it’s someone like Pietrangelo, many players will need to consider less term and/or salary. Duclair apparently turned down a substantial raise (whatever that means), but it sounds like he chose to gamble.
I don’t believe he turned down a substantial raise or they would have taken him to arbitration. Melnyk is just a cheap owner who mismanages his team. This team has all the cap space in the world. This is just about saving money.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
These are the types of things that suck really. He finally finds a place he fits and because of a contract situation, his days appear to be over in Ottawa. Or at least open up to someone else giving him more cash where he may not fit as well.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I don’t believe he turned down a substantial raise or they would have taken him to arbitration. Melnyk is just a cheap owner who mismanages his team. This team has all the cap space in the world. This is just about saving money.
2.5m would have been a substantial raise and he could have gotten up to 4.5m in arbitration with the Sens having no option to refuse.

Reactions: Prajna

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Fans of other teams. Would you pay Duclair, right now. 4.5M?

What is the most you'd pay him on a one year contract?

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
2.5m would have been a substantial raise and he could have gotten up to 4.5m in arbitration with the Sens having no option to refuse.
They have an insane amount of cap space. 4.5 would barely have dented that. This is only an issue because Melnyk is cheap.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I know it’s easy to dump on the Sens, and quite frankly I think many people are too trigger happy and blame Sens management for anything. I don’t think the Sens or Duclair are to blame here. Has Duclair even denied being offered any raise, let alone a substantial raise? I still believe that by choosing to represent himself, he’s doing a disservice to himself, but that’s his choice, and he chose to gamble by not re-signing, which led to not being qualified by the Sens and becoming a UFA. With many teams tightening their budgets, more players will be without a dance partner (in the NHL) this season.

Overall, I don’t see why there’s a need to point fingers and lay blame. It’s business and both sides mutually parted ways. In my opinion, Duclair chose the riskier route but it’s his right. That’s not the Sens fault either.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd go 1 year 3.5 mill from the Canucks. Sell him on playing in our top 6 to build value for his next deal.

Not saying he'd go for it, but that would be our offer and selling point.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
He had 23 goals in 66 games last year. How is he not worth 5x5 or something to that effect?

I know he’s bounced around, but he’s had big production before in the NHL and was a beast in the Q. I see a lot of guys his age getting bigger deals that have done much less.

Is he a bad teammate? What’s the deal here

lawrence

May 19, 2012
With Josh Anderson making 5.5 , Alex Tuch making 4.7, there is no doubt in my mind players in that age group such as Duclaire, Jake Debrusk, and probably Jake Virtanen looking in that range for a salary and I don't fault these guys one bit for it. My gosh, Josh Anderson literally screwed up the market value for that type of player.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He had 23 goals in 66 games last year. How is he not worth 5x5 or something to that effect?

I know he’s bounced around, but he’s had big production before in the NHL and was a beast in the Q. I see a lot of guys his age getting bigger deals that have done much less.

Is he a bad teammate? What’s the deal here

He has talent and he was productive in Ottawa, that said 5x5 is ridiculous. He was given every opportunity in Ottawa and to his credit he succeeded, but it's less than ideal to have him filling that role. If Duclair is the player you have eating those minutes and opportunities you are not going to be a good team. Same situation as Dzingel, despite being productive in Ottawa he went to deeper teams and was scratched for both teams when it came playoff time. These types of players have talent and can be productive but they don't score enough and don't do enough away from the puck to get those types of minutes on a good team.

Now the decision to not qualify him is 100% financially motivated and has nothing to do with him being a bad teammate, not having a strong work ethic or however some might spin it. He worked hard even if his production was inconsistent. 2goals in the last 27 games. Ottawa is operating on a budget and they offered what they could, he was looking for more and they were not interested in taking it to arbitration and risking him being awarded amount above what they could fit in but below what they could walk away from.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
He wants term. We wants to get paid long term for his 23 goals this season. I'm not gonna say he isnt worth it but even in this great season he was inconsistent. I thought he fit in this team really well. I hoped to see him for another two years. I wish him well. It would be crazy if him and Hoffman ended up on the same team, pumping out goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad