Sens coach for 2019-2020 Season

Who should be the next head coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Dorion said he dont like is interview with him. The last time we search for a coach
I'd like to see a source for this if you have it, please. A quick search is pulling up nothing of the sort, not even in Le Droit or La Presse. That's the kind of comment that would have picked up a lot of traction, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Reactions: Clayonator

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I'd like to see a source for this if you have it, please. A quick search is pulling up nothing of the sort, not even in Le Droit or La Presse. That's the kind of comment that would have picked up a lot of traction, so I'm a bit skeptical.
I don t remember where I hear that at the time. Probably in a post game interview or in two period. Dany Dube said the same thing in a game when we fire Boucher

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Am I the only one who thought Crawford's style and the way he adapted to other teams was refreshing and gave us a chance to win with a crap roster?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Dorion said he dont like is interview with him. The last time we search for a coach
Benoit Groulx won't put up with the Melnyk/Dorion crap and they both know this. That's why it will never happen. Groulx would throw Melnyk through a table WWE style if ever confronted

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Rumblings from Pierre McGuire this morning that Martin is headed to Buffalo.
That's not what I heard. He only said that the Pens might have trouble holding onto Martin because he may have head coach or associate coach offers.
He said that McLellan may not have been offered the Buffalo job. That he wasn't choosing between Buffalo and LA. That Buffalo may not have even offered him the head coaching job.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
That's not what I heard. He only said that the Pens might have trouble holding onto Martin because he may have head coach or associate coach offers.
He said that McLellan may not have been offered the Buffalo job. That he wasn't choosing between Buffalo and LA. That Buffalo may not have even offered him the head coaching job.

I didn't actually hear it, I was going of off what Mendes said later in the show.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
When Cooper and/or de Boer are fired, are either of them candidates in Ottawa? I know they both just got extensions, but they must be cheaper than Q or V.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
When Cooper and/or de Boer are fired, are either of them candidates in Ottawa? I know they both just got extensions, but they must be cheaper than Q or V.
I am sure both of these guys will come with a rather large price tag. Not as big as the other guys, but definitely not from the bargain bin that we tend to hire from.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Bring back Paul MacLean! We no longer have guys like Spezza and Karlsson to go on strike because they are asked to work as hard as everyone else.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Bring back Paul MacLean! We no longer have guys like Spezza and Karlsson to go on strike because they are asked to work as hard as everyone else.

He’s probably going to go coach the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles

Yes even the QMJHL gets dibs before Ottawa

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Nice, we have a shot to beat out a QMJHL team for a coaching talent

Just 1 of the roughly 100 grossly alarming issues on the front burner right now. It's not surprising really that anyone with the slightest option is telling gene and pierre to pound sand...hopefully it is exposed to the generic fan more from the media.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Acting President of Hockey Ops Bruce Garrioch has let us know who the candidates are likely to be:

1. Marc Crawford
2. Troy Mann
3. Jacques Martin
4. Mike Yeo
5. Sheldon Keefe
6. Dominique Ducharme

I don't see Mann having much of a shot.

I'm not sure the Leafs would even let us speak to Keefe, but even if they do he's probably out of Ottawa's price range. High profile rookie coaches are now regularly getting salaries in the 2.5M per year range [Hakstol, Quinn]. Would the Sens step up with a 4 year 10+M offer for a rookie coach? I think we all know the answer to that.

Mike Yeo sucks.

Same issues apply to Ducharme as Keefe.

Sounds like there could be some competition for Martin. Do we have the most appealing destination/will we win a bidding war?

I'd lay pretty good odds on Crawford getting the gig. 2 years, 750k per or something ludicrous like that.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Maybe they waiting on their hockey-Ops hiring before they let PD pull the trigger on a new coach. No rush here but you would think they get it started near or end of the playoffs before the draft.

This would be my interviews:

Obligation Interviews:

Marc Crawford: This will cost PD his job so in a way I hope he hires him but honestly he helped us get in this mess, why would we ever bother.

Troy Mann: Not cause I am going to give him the job but out of respect, keeping him in Belleville is best place for him

Sheldon Keefe: At least offer interview , worst he can do is decline it. His current contract is probably more then we pay him and he is serious candidate for vacanies in the future.

Luke Richardson: We owe it to him but he was not all that in Baby Sens, may bring good karma to us.

Serious Interviews

Jacque Martin: Who knows if he is around for us to hire by time PD get's to it but we will see. Couple rings with the Pens.

Lane Lambert : Associate Coach with Islanders and Trotz with a cup ring to match.

Benoit Groulx: You be stupid if you don't. Head coach of the TB's AHL Affiliate Syracuse Crunch and local favorite.

Rikard Gronborg: Serious Candidate I believe for this rebuilding team and fresh blood not old retreads.Coached Sweden U18, U20 and now Men's National Team.

John Stevens: Blake hung him out to dry with the slowest team on earth, deserves another shot. Was one of most sought after assistants for many years but L.A. denied request to interview him. Couple of cup rings.

Dominique Ducharme: Long Resume of Developing young talent and Silver and Gold with the World Juniors and now Assistant with Claude Julien.

Pascal Vincent: May not be available if Jet's don't go deep this year, could get Maurice's job. Assistant coach of Jets before promoted him to head coach of their AHL team. Maurice would probably make more money sitting at home waiting for the next job then taking the Sens job.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Dorion is probably texting all these other GMs telling them to stop hiring coaches so quickly because they are making him look bad.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
According to A-GM Bruce Garrioch, the list of potential coaches is Mark Crawford, Troy Mann, Jacques Martin, Sheldon Keefe, Mike Yeo (who apparently was a top 3 runner up when Boucher was hired), and Dominque Ducharme. He also says if Paul Maurice is fired it would make sense for the Sens to talk to them.

I'd eliminate Mann from that list (politics, courtesy interview) and Maurice. That leaves five candidates. I don't think Crawford is a serious candidate unless we cannot get anybody else. There's way too much risk keeping long term a coach with his supposed temperament on a team filled with young millennials. Millennials don't respond to that screaming and shouting you suck at hockey go back to the ECHL and bag groceries in Sweden kind of stuff and our team is full of them.

Are guys like Keefe and Ducharme realistic targets? Or would they wait for a better situation to get what could be their first and only shots at being NHL head coaches? There's been rumblings that Babcock and Dubas don't see eye to eye, so I wonder if Keefe is his guy, and if we could see him taken off the market via Babcock being fired if Toronto are eliminated in round one for the third season in a row.

Reactions: Yak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad