Who should be the next head coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Yeo sucked for the Wild and the Blues , teams were boring to watch and game has changed and was reason he was let go. He is assistant coach material.

Babcock won't get canned , but Keefe will probably get the Leafs job as assistant coach or next quality job opening.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Yeo sucked for the Wild and the Blues , teams were boring to watch and game has changed and was reason he was let go. He is assistant coach material.

Babcock won't get canned , but Keefe will probably get the Leafs job as assistant coach or next quality job opening.

Yeah Keefe will probably get an assistant or even associate role if DJ Smith takes a HC opening. You just know Dubas wants him to be the Leafs next HC sooner than later, but the optics of firing Babcock are insane.

Reactions: Yak

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I'd say Brad Shaw would be a favorite --- not sure why his name hasn't been widely mentioned

I’d almost rather the other Brad from Columbus (Larsen), A lot younger and more recently removed from playing (2010), still has a good base of coaching experience too.

Edit: While Shaw hasn’t been on my preferred list, in looking into him he seems very well spoken and intelligent. I can’t really use age as a metric for disqualifying him either, because I still have Lane Lambert on my list. He seems like an excellent teacher who explains things clearly, while not being one to convolute information too much.

Columbus Blue Jackets: Brad Shaw’s Impact on the Team

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I can just picture Melnyk getting so angry at the prices coaches are going for lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lets keep this record going shall we

Michel Therrien might make sense . We could ensure he'd never be a head coach somewhere else again.
Come to Ottawa. We won't pay you but you can revive , or start your coaching career in the NHL.

Last edited:

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I can just picture Melnyk getting so angry at the prices coaches are going for lol

EM: Well we gotta put a cap on these coaches salaries! We keep getting out gunned on all these coaches that don't want to be here!

GB: if we do that, we'll have to implement a salary floor as well

EM: I retract my statement

Reactions: Smeddy

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Lets keep this record going shall we

Michel Therrien might make sense . We could ensure he'd never be a head coach somewhere else again.
Come to Ottawa. We won't pay you but you can revive , or start your coaching career in the NHL.

Wow that's crazy when you think about it. We've had a lot of coaches...

Just goes to show that we don't hire very many quality coaches.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow that's crazy when you think about it. We've had a lot of coaches...

Just goes to show that we don't hire very many quality coaches.

We interviewed DeBoer back when Hartsburg got the job but DeBoer apparently wanted an extra year guaranteed, Boudreau also wanted an extra year when Boucher got it, Clouston and Cameron were assistants that transitioned right in because of a strong interim finish, so that leaves the MacLean hiring; anybody know if we interviewed somebody successful that time around? I don't recall who we interviewed that time... was Hartley one?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We interviewed DeBoer back when Hartsburg got the job but DeBoer apparently wanted an extra year guaranteed, Boudreau also wanted an extra year when Boucher got it, Clouston and Cameron were assistants that transitioned right in because of a strong interim finish, so that leaves the MacLean hiring; anybody know if we interviewed somebody successful that time around? I don't recall who we interviewed that time... was Hartley one?

I do believe Tortorella was on TSN at the time, and had an interview. He said Ottawa had no swagger, iirc.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I wouldnt have gone with AV or McLellan regardless of cost.

With AV there was all the stanndard criticism of overplayed vets, not playing young guys, coach's pets etc. Anyone that read their board when we played them in the playoffs two years ago will remember that.

With McLellan he's had some pretty decent rosters and it just didn't get done.

I'd stick with Crow before those guys, doubly so considering cost.

We all hear the league is changing. Some guys are trying to adapt to those changes, other guys are leading those changes in lower level leagues. All these retread guys that have been around for ages carry a risk that you hire a name that hasn't figured out how to adapt.

We're better off imo with an up and comer...whoever that may be.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
We can’t afford what up and coming coaches command unless you want to go to the C list

Quinn in New York (Rookie NHL coach)
Got 12 million for five years

That’s more then double the Sens coaching staff budget

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
We can’t afford what up and coming coaches command unless you want to go to the C list

Quinn in New York (Rookie NHL coach)
Got 12 million for five years

That’s more then double the Sens coaching staff budget
I’m not so sure about that. Most rookie head coaches would not be earning much.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
College coaches can be different because a lot of them make a ton of money and have really good job security. You need to really pay to get them into the nhl. Up and coming ahl/chl guys probably wouldn’t command that kind of salary.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The further from the season we go, the more sure I do not want Crawford back. Signings of McLellan and Vigneault have turned me off , even though I wanted Vigneault. I starting to like the Brad Shaw angle.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like Brad Shaw if he’s good. Improve everywhere and he’ll have my support

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
The further from the season we go, the more sure I do not want Crawford back. Signings of McLellan and Vigneault have turned me off , even though I wanted Vigneault. I starting to like the Brad Shaw angle.
I agree. When the season ended I would have been fine with Crawford staying, but as everyone continues to recycle the same coaches, I'm starting to really hope for a young guy or an outsider

Reactions: coladin

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
We will just wait until all other teams have their coaches picked and then we will control the supply of nhl coaching jobs. Someone who wants the opportunity will take it. Then they'll be fired in a year or two for not making the playoffs because our management expects us to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->