Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Bruins Monday 1 pm

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah I don't get some of the comments, the Sens weren't outclassed at all, the score is not even indicative of the game. Rask outplayed Codon quite easily, Sens got more unlucky bounces, 2 posts by Duchene and DeMelo and the shitty reffing surely didn't help... still a pretty close game in the end.

SF/SA all strengths : 31-30
CF/CA all strengths : 51-53
SCF/SCA all strengths : 23-28
HDSCF/HDSCA all strengths : 12-14

1st goal : hmmm, this one shouldn't have counted IMO, the 2 Bruins players sticks and skates interfered with Condon equipment, particularly Bergeron's skate just before he was able to pushed it in. But Condon should have used his stick to begin with. That's what I do, I put my stick strongly on the side of the net so if the player wants to cut to the net like that, he's going to trip over my stick. Condon didn't use his stick and it was too easy for Pastrnak to cut in the blue paint.

2nd goal : PP goal, puck luckily ended up on Marchand's stick who made a nice feed for Bergeron's shot. Condon was a bit too far in his net not challenging the shooter but pretty hard to stop it nonetheless.

3rd goal : just awful by Condon. Sure it was a deflection but if he just had his pad positioned the way he should, it doesn't go in. Also, holy molly no reflex at all.

4th goal : Dzingel is totally flat footed, allowing a partial 2 on 1 putting Ceci in a really bad spot where he has to cut the angle of the shooter while covering the other guy. He tried to do both but it was a bit impossible, although he almost did but it unfortunately bounced on his shin pad. The fact that he was blamed in the GDT tells you all you gotta know about the cognitive bias towards him. Not sure what Condon was trying to do there but you can't determine this goal as weak.

5th goal : just an incredible backhand pass by Bergeron. Boro-Wideman against one of the best lines in hockey... Wideman doesn't cut Bergeron well enough, Boro is not fast enough to cover DP and that's it.

6th goal : empty net.

We need to find more creative ways to unleash Formenton's speed. He's not a cycle and grind type player. We need him going full tilt north-south to unleash his potential. His use on that front has been a bit poor so far. Hope they can figure it out. That type of speed is a massive weapon these days.

If Pageau was healthy, my 3rd line would be Formenton-Pageau-Dzingel/Boedker. That speed would give 2nd/3rd pairing problems

I had high hopes for Condon a couple of years back but not when they overpaid him and he became near impossible to trade. They are now stuck just like when they gave too many years to the Hamburgler. It sure looks like Condon won't be much help this year. If they have any bit of success it will have to come with Andy but I don't think he can handle a heavy load anymore. It doesn't bode well unless they find another backup.

At least Hammond was coming off a much more impressive run and his AAV was nearly half of Condon, 1.35

Also, why the **** are people blaming Ceci for a deflection?

Pre-conceived ideas, or cognitive bias. No way Ceci can win in Ottawa anymore, unless he suddenly plays like an elite D-man, which won't happen.

Boston is a good deep team. They don't give you much. NHL is a tough league and its demanding on you physically and mentally.

IMO Tkachuk and Formenton can go to junior... Tkachuk has an option to go to the AHL.. which could still be better for him.
White should go to Belleville.

Who is ready to call up? Not many of them down there are a) ready or b) NHL caliber ... Brown and Batherson are not ready. Chlapik is probably closest. Paul maybe for a 4th liner . There are no top 9 forwards ready to step in .. that's for sure.

Might as well call up a couple guys like Rodewald, Paul, Carey and let them fill in wherever Boucher wants to play them and let the kids with some potential develop

If Tkachuk and Formenton were to be sent down to the OHL, call up Paul and Chlapik. They're still pretty young and no pro experience.

Boedker-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Chlapik-Stone
Smith-Tierney-White
Paajarvi-Paul-Pyatt
Carey

How long is McCormick out? And damn that Pageau is missed.

Reactions: albator71

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Even after Mac's ltir insurance? I thought we were right at 67 without Mac's ltir taken in to account, which then put us at more like 64 or so. Combine that with the deadline shedding, actual salary out the door would have been closer to 60 than high 60's.
You are correct, we were at 70 mil including MacArthur in Aug 2o17, two months after signing Condon. About 4 mil of that would have been paid by insurance for Mac.

Aug 2017, after signing Condon: ESTIMATED SALARY EXPENDITURE $70,375,000 with 3.8 mil of that being paid by insurance for Mac meaning about 66.3 mil actually committed.

After the deadline: ESTIMATED SALARY EXPENDITURE $65,642,500 with 3.8 of that being paid by insurance for Mac meaning about 61.8 mil actually committed.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Gesus

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A needless icing, from halfway between the blue line and the red line, when he had more than enough time to make the red line, on his very first shift, lead to a defensive zone face off, and the Bruins first goal

Oh, are we going to grade every player based on 5 seconds of an entire game? I guess every player in league history is terrible now.

He rebounded well from a shaky 1st, had himself a pretty good rest of the game. I liked his response after that one brain fart.

I said I didin't hate his game today. I didn't say we should elect him as Intergalactic President of the Universe.

This is what I meant when I said some people have trouble giving credit to guys who have OK games if they have a bad reputation around here. Ceci has lots of real bad games, often, but today wasn't one of them. It's ok to admit these things sometimes.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I've always wondered this, but does coaching staff sit down with players and show them their weaknesses. For example, would Sen's coaches pull Borowiecki aside and show him some of the mistakes he's making?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've always wondered this, but does coaching staff sit down with players and show them their weaknesses. For example, would what Sen's coaches pull Borowiecki aside and show him some of the mistakes he's making?
Heck, they do it on the bench mid game with the tablets.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Nah. Ceci is generally at least in good position to to make a play. Ceci's hands just fail him. He bobbles too many pucks and fails to clear the zone or make the pass to transition. Boro can't get in the right position, runs around AND doesn't have the hands to make plays. There are very very few players I've seen at this level who have worse gap control than Boro. He's not a NHL player. Ceci is a NHL player, just not a good one.
Boro is what he is. He's a depth defenceman. He was fine playing as the 6th or 7th defenceman. It's when he started getting more of a role on the team is when we started to notice him and for the wrong reasons. Add to that being a go to media guy isn't doing him any favors with a large portion of the fanbase.

With regards to Ceci he has always been bad outside of maybe one season.
His hands isn't what's failing him it's his head. He has no IQ on the ice. It's comical to see over and over again. Whenever a play ends up on Cecis stick I just wait for the inevitable routine shot to the goalies crest while driving wide in the offensive zone. He lacks creativity and double clutches like no tomorrow.

With Boro at least he can hit, be physical and I guess be a voice in the locker room and these attributes I take very lightly when it comes to evaluating a player.

I think I've seen more echo on how bad Ceci is than Boro is. Perhaps that's due to contract/money and role on the team.

They are both terrible I think most can agree on that unanimously

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You are correct, we were at 70 mil including MacArthur in Aug 2o17, two months after signing Condon. About 4 mil of that would have been paid by insurance for Mac.

Aug 2017, after signing Condon: ESTIMATED SALARY EXPENDITURE $70,375,000 with 3.8 mil of that being paid by insurance for Mac meaning about 66.3 mil actually committed.

After the deadline: ESTIMATED SALARY EXPENDITURE $65,642,500 with 3.8 of that being paid by insurance for Mac meaning about 61.8 mil actually committed.
Thanks Micklebot. I had trouble finding that on my limited googling effort.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I've always wondered this, but does coaching staff sit down with players and show them their weaknesses. For example, would Sen's coaches pull Borowiecki aside and show him some of the mistakes he's making?
They don't have enough time to go through everything

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Had some great chances, unlucky bounces and Bruins were beatable today. Not sure if they have China out of their system yet, but a few breaks and that was at least a point on the road.

I thought Duchene let the team down today and that 5 on 3 was a huge letdown.

Chabot looked like a stud out there as most of the defence played decent. A save or two would have been nice too.

White wasn't good today, we need him to be better come Wednesday.

I like the way they have played , though.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think Formenton is 1st line material at this point. Plus I really have liked his shifts with Boedker.
We only have 3 first line forwards (debateable that we only have 3 top 6 guys). Formenton soeed could help dzingel a nd duchene. I don’t think he’s a first line player either

We should be looking to trade ceci for a young top 6 forward

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's what needs to be done.

We don't have the depth to be keeping our only legit consistent scoring threats on different lines, especially when one is being centered by a career 4th line center barring 1 season.

Though that 2nd line has very little creativity or scoring ability

Not sure who you're referring to here.

A needless icing, from halfway between the blue line and the red line, when he had more than enough time to make the red line, on his very first shift, lead to a defensive zone face off, and the Bruins first goal

lol it was a pass to Mark Stone who could then have been in a good position to create offense. It bounced harder than expected, very routine NHL play that I see several times in every game I watch. After that, Sens were unable to clear the zone, Stone and Smith were both at the same place even though Ceci moved the puck at the right place, Boedker lost his board battle and then Condon didn't play it correctly (didn't even used his stick to block the net access, that's terrible in my goalie opinion). Still not sure the goal should have been good as you can clearly see Bergeron's skate moving Condon's pad.

He put it right by his stick. What are you talking about.

That GIF doesn't show well, White made the pass like if DeMelo was a lefty, but he's a righty. You see it clearly on the overhead replay. I just verified again on my PVR.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Bergeron last year:

Home, 32GP: 17-17-34 +7
Away, 32GP: 13-16-29 +14

Pastrnak last year:

Home, 41 GP: 16-26-42 -4
Away, 41 GP: 19-19-38 +14

Marchand last year:

Home, 35 GP: 19-26-45 +13
Away, 32 GP: 15-25-40 +12

Total home PPG: 1.120
Total road PPG: 1.114

And +16 at home compared to +40 on the road.

Such a dropoff. Just horrible! :laugh:

The year before that, Marchand scored 51 points on the road to 34 at home. Year before that; 36 road, 25 home. Completely neutered when he's away from TD Garden.

Hope you guys do well, definitely my second favourite team in the east if I had to pick one. You deserve better than what you get from ownership.
Meh ,maybe I misspoke about just how good they are...But the B,s still seem to be a one line team

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure who you're referring to here.

That GIF doesn't show well, White made the pass like if DeMelo was a lefty, but he's a righty. You see it clearly on the overhead replay. I just verified again on my PVR.

Yah I saw it on the overhead and it looks like he was passing to Chabot. What he should have done is taken half a step out and roofed it

Reactions: Xspyrit

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I can’t stop thinking about condons contract now lmao.
If you wanna feel worse think about Anderson's at the same time. Funny that we have no issues extending 2 mediocre goaltenders a year before their contract's are up but we gonna drive a hard line with Dzingel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If you wanna feel worse think about Anderson's at the same time. Funny that we have no issues extending 2 mediocre goaltenders a year before their contract's are up but we gonna drive a hard line with Dzingel
Yeah but anderson at least has a history of being good.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I'm not sure Dzingel is someone who has proven to be someone you want to commit long term to.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
It's the same crap with this team. Sign mediocre players for too much and too long and then struggle to pay the best players.

Reactions: DrEasy and Chezzz

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Gotta go Mayo vs Mustard on Turkey.. Sorry @Icelevel

So long as there's turkey! :)

Watched the game, not overly surprised by the outcome. Thought Chabot was impressive again. Formenton got better as the game went on. Condon was not spectacular. Boro was the Sen I was least happy with - bad penalty, ran around, often out of position, and my favourite, when a clearly hurting DeBrusk out-muscled him for the puck as he tried to exit the D-zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad