Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2014! (1st)

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
also thanks for the work Lehner, it's awesome to go back and compare how the prospects fared against their predictions

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How in the world are some of you picking Lazar over Stone

Curtis hasn't played in the NHL

I'm with you & if you saw the DC scrimmage the other night, Stone was head & shoulders better than any other prospect at the development camp, bar none. I also think that Stone will be the better pro, we'll see I guess. The majority on here also thought that Filatov was going to be a 1st line player in Ottawa & notch 50 goals in the NHL. :laugh:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'm with you & if you saw the DC scrimmage the other night, Stone was head & shoulders better than any other prospect at the development camp, bar none. I also think that Stone will be the better pro, we'll see I guess. The majority on here also thought that Filatov was going to be a 1st line player in Ottawa & notch 50 goals in the NHL. :laugh:

I'm a huge fan of Stone. I think he'll have every chance to make the big club this year, and It would be nice to see him pot a dozen goals or so.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Where are these 8 votes for Stone coming from?

OP should have started the survey at #3, knowing full-well that it's Lazar/Ceci at the top two spots, AINEC.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

OP should have started the survey at #3, knowing full-well that it's Lazar/Ceci at the top two spots, AINEC.

Why not extend to top 4 since it will be Stone and Pageau?

Why not top 5 since it will be Hoffman?

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa

Come on now Bonk, I really thought Ceci was going to win this one. Im surprised Lazar is leading.

Did u know for sure it was Lazar then Ceci?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Did u know for sure it was Lazar then Ceci?

Well, that was my best guess, and I thought it was obvious that the dominant consensus on HFSens was going to be Lazar-over-Ceci based on the discussions on these boards over the past year. It's consistent with the tone of discussion we've had here over the past ~6 months or so.

Ceci at #2 is no rib on him, either. It's both of those guys, then the rest.

In fact, if I had to predict how HFSens will vote in the top 10 (read: not my "top-10", but how I think the poll will shake out)
1) Lazar
2) Ceci
3) Stone
4) Hoffman
5) Pageau
6) Englund
7) Claesson
8) Puempel
9) Dzingel
10) Wikstrand

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So my suspicions of Lazar being slightly overated here are true, such a shame I really like the kid. Ceci is our top prospect because he has higher upside, proven something at the nhl level, and in my personal opinion just a better hockey player then Lazar.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
Here would be my top 20:

1.) Curtis Lazar
2.) Cody Ceci
3.) Mark Stone
4.) Jean-Gabriel Pageau
5.) Mike Hoffman
6.) Frederik Claesson
7.) Matt Puempel
8.) Andreas Englund
9.) Alex Guptill
10.) Shane Prince
11.) Mark Borowiecki
12.) Ryan Dzingel
13.) Derek Grant
14.) Cole Schneider
15.) Chris Driedger
16.) Marcus Hogberg
17.) Nicholas Paul
18.) Max McCormick
19.) Tobias Lindberg
20.) Robbie Baillargeon

HM: Mikael Wikstrand, Ben Harpur

Hard to balance potential vs likely-hood to become an NHL player.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So my suspicions of Lazar being slightly overated here are true, such a shame I really like the kid. Ceci is our top prospect because he has higher upside, proven something at the nhl level, and in my personal opinion just a better hockey player then Lazar.

I think Ceci has a higher ceiling than Lazar, but that doesn't make him a better prospect.

I mean, Guptill has a "higher ceiling" than all but like 4 of our prospects if we're going on skill-alone, he's easily a top-5 guy - but that doesn't make him a top-5 prospect.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The Lazar hype is too damn high.

Meh, I think it's indicative of the fact that we don't really have any "Blue Chip" guys in the system right now.

Bias for Lazar at the top seems to me to be due to the fact that he's regarded as the "safest" of a very volatile, unsure group. Lots of question marks in our system right now, makes sense that people gravitate to Lazar rather than focus on everyone else's warts.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I chose Lazar because he can become one of those unique and rare players every team wants.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Lazar probablu wont be a 19 year old phenom next year. I do think he will be an effective top 6 player with fisher intensity but safe bet is on Ceci or Stone. I think Stone has more potential then Lazar and is more NHL ready. Saying that a picked Ceci cause im desperately hoping he continues his quick progression into a top 4 dman and i value defencemen over forwards.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Meh, I think it's indicative of the fact that we don't really have any "Blue Chip" guys in the system right now.

Bias for Lazar at the top seems to me to be due to the fact that he's regarded as the "safest" of a very volatile, unsure group. Lots of question marks in our system right now, makes sense that people gravitate to Lazar rather than focus on everyone else's warts.
It's pretty silly though on the whole. People here actually watched Ceci last year and saw him perform as a top 4 D for a long stretch and only really saw Lazar play at the WJC. Stone performed as good or better than Lazar on the same stage and has put up numbers in the AHL and broken onto the next level in the NHL.

It's frightening to me how people are so ready to vote for an unknown commodity And Ignore real accomplishments.

I chose Lazar based on winning the hardest worker this year. I will probably vote Claesson next.

Why not vote for Borowiecki as #1, he has two of those under his belt.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Good to see our prospect pool is still strong, even with the recent graduations of Zibanejad, Lehner, Cowen, Wiercioch, as well as the departures of Silfverberg and Noesen.

Could have went with any one of Ceci, Lazar, Stone as the #1 prospect. Voted Ceci because a top 4 D would help this team more than a top 6 forward.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It's frightening to me how people are so ready to vote for an unknown commodity And Ignore real accomplishments.

Well, how else are you supposed to judge PROSPECTS?

You compare where they were at the same age, not where they are currently. OF COURSE a guy with a 3+ years advantage in development time is going to be further developed, that's not even in question. If this poll is supposed to be "which prospect will make an immediate impact with the Sens this year", then Stone is the runaway winner, with Ceci as the #2. But any poll about prospects is about projecting, IMO. Not about rating which guy has more pro games under their belt.

Mark Stone, as a 19-year old:
Gpg: 0.52 / Apg: 0.97 / Ppg: 1.49
Playoffs: 6gp - 1g, 9a, 10pts
Not invited to WJC selection camp

Curtis Lazar, as a 19 year old:
gpg: 0.71 / apg: 0.6 / ppg: 1.31
Playoffs: 21gp - 10g, 12a, 22pts (won Memorial Cup)
WJC: 7gp - 3g, 4a, 7pts

Whose accomplishments are more impressive? It depends entirely on what you want to measure. Stone was the better PPG guy, Lazar was the better goals guy. Lazar's teams went further in the postseason, has a WJC to show for it, whereas you can make the argument that Stone was snubbed, though his skating was far worse then than it is now, so being exposed on "big ice" at that time in his career was a very real possibility.

I'm just saying - it's great that Stone has had success at the NHL level, I'm hoping he continues to grow on that, and I'm not putting down Stone's accomplishments at all here... but it's difficult to essentially say that one prospect is BETTER than another because he's too young to have gotten the opportunities that an older player has. Stone is certainly CLOSER because he has experience, but it doesn't make sense that he will be BETTER because he has experience.

I loves me some Stone, don't get me wrong, but I'm not going to say his ceiling is higher than a 19 year old just because he's turning 23 this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad