Half-Assed GDT: Sens @ Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I understand Ovechkin is a different beast, but people were ready to see him traded a few seasons ago.

If Tarasenko was traded last month, every Blues fan would be foaming at the mouth now that it looks like he's back
To be clear, my feelings are unrelated to his slump. I expect him to score 30-35 this year. But we aren’t a contender and going to take some real changes to get there. His value is higher now than it will be this time next year. We should absolutely see what he would return bc by time rest of team is good enough he will be that much further from his peak.

Reactions: Bendak

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
To be clear, my feelings are unrelated to his slump. I expect him to score 30-35 this year. But we aren’t a contender and going to take some real changes to get there. His value is higher now than it will be this time next year. We should absolutely see what he would return bc by time rest of team is good enough he will be that much further from his peak.
You don’t trade your best players. Full stop.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Decent period outside of Dunn being stupid as usual and Schwartz being a ghost as usual.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Dumping guys who are still top-30 goal scorers because "they're not performing at the level I think they should be at" is also "opposite of how you win Cup."

By that logic, nothing that any player does is guaranteed. It's not guaranteed that ROR goes at a PPG pace the rest of this season, or at all next season, or in any season thereafter. It's not guaranteed Sundqvist goes on 17-goal pace in future years. It's also not guaranteed that Schwartz will forever be on 7-goal pace. If you're looking for guarantees, keep searching.
Nothing in life is guaranteed. But forwards peak on average by age 25 and then start to decline. Apparently Blues fans are last to hear about this.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
And selling assets at the first sign of problems is also the opposite way to win a Cup. Trading Tarasenko now doesn't make sense, unless someone is going to make a huge offer.
Nobody is saying just give him away. Would obviously take significant offer.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Then you dump everyone and it's a tear down rebuild. Blues arent doing that. If Schenn and Schwartz weren't abducted this season, the focus wouldnt be so much on Tarasenko.

There's no year to year scorer besides Tarasenko. Last year, Blues were a 1 line team and now they are again. It seems no matter who Armstrong brings in, some group of guys go through a massive slump. If we had Schwartz and Schenn going, then we'd be in the playoff conversation

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You don’t trade your best players. Full stop.
We’re y’all pissed at Cards when Pujols left because he had been great? Upset that Blues let Backes go. Smart teams plan for their players declines. Tarasenko is still quite good but team isn’t. All I am saying is we should be assessing his value and whether deal makes sense given potential return.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Then you dump everyone and it's a tear down rebuild. Blues arent doing that. If Schenn and Schwartz weren't abducted this season, the focus wouldnt be so much on Tarasenko.

There's no year to year scorer besides Tarasenko. Last year, Blues were a 1 line team and now they are again. It seems no matter who Armstrong brings in, some group of guys go through a massive slump. If we had Schwartz and Schenn going, then we'd be in the playoff conversation
If grandma had a **** she’d be grandpa.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Nothing in life is guaranteed. But forwards peak on average by age 25 and then start to decline. Apparently Blues fans are last to hear about this.
The average scoring curve for forwards still has them producing somewhere around 90% of their absolute peak at age 30, and more talented players tend to age even better than less talented ones.

You sell Tarasenko for a package of whatever, and the chances are pretty good you're not getting back anyone that will ever be anywhere near as good as he is. That's why teams typically don't sell off their best players unless they know for sure they're going to lose them anyway.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
We’re y’all pissed at Cards when Pujols left because he had been great? Upset that Blues let Backes go. Smart teams plan for their players declines. Tarasenko is still quite good but team isn’t. All I am saying is we should be assessing his value and whether deal makes sense given potential return.
Backes was clearly not our future and Pinole walked for money issues and was still a great player for many years past his time with the Cardinals. Tarasenko is our best player and isn’t returning anything that we need (Goalie and coaching). We would need Tarasenko or a player like him more than whatever goodies we would get for him. The Cardinals were right not to trade Pujols before he walked because that was exactly what they needed then and in the immediate future. The Cardinals are still in search of that kind of player and it would have been nice to have Pujols for a few more years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The average scoring curve for forwards still has them producing somewhere around 90% of their absolute peak at age 30, and more talented players tend to age even better than less talented ones.

You sell Tarasenko for a package of whatever, and the chances are pretty good you're not getting back anyone that will ever be anywhere near as good as he is. That's why teams typically don't sell off their best players unless they know for sure they're going to lose them anyway.
I'd even argue with the shift in how hockey is played, we'll see scoring trends taper off later.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Our play that period wasn't terrible, my Sling feed was. I felt like I was spending more time trying to fix it than watching/posting. It seemed like it was finally fixed towards the end of the period, lets hope it carries over to the 2nd.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Kyrou should be leading a breakout. Him standing still at the Blue line is not an effective way to use his skillset

He’s really infuriating me at the NHL level. He needs to be much much more assertive. He’s playing extremely passive trying to make sure that he’s in the right spots. That’s not beneficial to his skill set. I’d rather see him making creative mistakes rather than trying to learn defense and positioning at the pro level. Really dumb to dumb down a player with his creativity and skill set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce