Half-Assed GDT: Sens @ Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Squeeked by arguably the worst team in the league at home. Let’s make sure Schwartz plays with Schenn every game for the rest of his life. No sense breaking up that dynamic duo. Don’t try putting Schwartz with the best center on the team to try to get him going. Well maybe they’ll try that around game 75 when Schwartz still has 3 goals. He has that to look forward to.

Kyrou has 7:11 of 5v5 ice time. I guess it’s 7 more minutes than Fabbri. Kyrou has a turnover but it should only be something used as a learning tool. Most likely it’ll result in him getting benched or sent down.

At least Maroon was out there getting 19:26 of ice time. Steen got over 16 minutes. Those two are like the speed demon Molina on skates.

This organization is so dysfunctional in a lot of ways. There are easy decisions to make with the roster that even Facebook fans see but leadership doesn’t. That’s how horrible this organization is at making some decisions. The Facebook screaming meemies actually say things right vs what the organization refuses to do.

I don’t get it but it’s in line with this ****ed up season.

Speaketh the truth.

Reactions: Bendak

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
So what, can you imagine how nervous he has to be. Especially when he sees these bottom 6 guys who make mistakes left and right get fed prime minutes making a mistake or 2 per shift.

If they want Kyrou to play in the NHL then play him, he's going to **** up. Send him back out there. If they expect mistake free shifts then dont even call him up.

I get it that every game counts and is pivotal for the Blues but that's because 98% of the vets played ECHL level hockey for the first couple months

Kyrou dominated juniors. Given some time he’s dominating minors now. Double standards exist for players making mistakes on this roster just like the double standard on amount of ice time.

How many games did Maroon get #1 PP time? He’s not a skilled player. He doesn’t even stand in front of the net. He plays to the side of the net and tries the same play 2000 times of trying to slam the puck through the goalie.

Steen doesn’t play in what 2 weeks? He’s immediately given a top 6 role.

Fabbri is sitting in the press box because he made a mistake or played a game where he wasn’t a difference maker.

Perron takes a bad penalty and he sits in the press box. Steen could make a mistake every single shift and he will never sniff a press box seat. It’s clearly favoritism on some level but it doesn’t make any sense. I could see some favoritism for a player that produces a ton of points. That’s certainly not the case with Maroon or Steen.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
So what, can you imagine how nervous he has to be. Especially when he sees these bottom 6 guys who make mistakes left and right get fed prime minutes making a mistake or 2 per shift.

If they want Kyrou to play in the NHL then play him, he's going to **** up. Send him back out there. If they expect mistake free shifts then dont even call him up.

I get it that every game counts and is pivotal for the Blues but that's because 98% of the vets played ECHL level hockey for the first couple months
Are you referring to Maroon with the bolded? He's not very good (can't skate or stay on-side for shit) but at least he can win a board battle and maintain possession in the offensive zone.

Regardless, I just don't buy the argument that Kyrou has not gotten a fair shake this season or that he would play better if he wasn't nervous about making a mistake. He has absolutely had chances to grab a roster spot and simply hasn't stepped up. I'm sure he is nervous, he's just a kid after all....but kids younger than him have impressed in the NHL and stolen a roster spot/forced the issue. The bottom line IMO is that Kyrou simply has not been very effective in the minutes he has been given this year.

Reactions: Blueston and Bendak

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Are you referring to Maroon with the bolded? He's not very good (can't skate or stay on-side for ****) but at least he can win a board battle and maintain possession in the offensive zone.

Regardless, I just don't buy the argument that Kyrou has not gotten a fair shake this season or that he would play better if he wasn't nervous about making a mistake. He has absolutely had chances to grab a roster spot and simply hasn't stepped up. I'm sure he is nervous, he's just a kid after all....but kids younger than him have impressed in the NHL and stolen a roster spot/forced the issue. The bottom line IMO is that Kyrou simply has not been very effective in the minutes he has been given this year.
Maroon is dog shit on the boards and barely maintains possession, most of time the play dies on his stick.

In order for Kyrou to stick, he has to be flawless. It isnt going to happen. Dont buy the argument that's fine. I cant really prove it one way or another. I just see him make a mistake and he's riding pine for awhile. That cant play well on his confidence.

As I've said, just send him back to SA.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Maroon is dog **** on the boards and barely maintains possession, most of time the play dies on his stick.

In order for Kyrou to stick, he has to be flawless. It isnt going to happen. Dont buy the argument that's fine. I cant really prove it one way or another. I just see him make a mistake and he's riding pine for awhile. That cant play well on his confidence.

As I've said, just send him back to SA.
It's kind of funny you mention the play dying on Maroon's stick when the play was literally revived from death's door step by Maroon's stick on the GWG tonight. Defending Maroon is not the hill I want to die on. He has very big and obvious flaws, but he is a legit NHLer and he does bring some positives to the table.

In order for Kyrou to stick he needs to play well and he simply hasn't done that. If he was making mistakes but otherwise still contributing to the team then I think Kyrou would have a much longer leash...but he just has not contributed much of value. FWIW it sounds like we both agree that Kyrou should be in SA, even if we disagree on Kyrou's treatment.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Gunnarsson has been great, along with Bouwmeester and Bortuzzo. They have solidified the defense. And finally the hole on LHD isn’t as big. Edmundson could very well find himself as the odd man out again on Monday.

And of course, I still love that beast ROR.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's kind of funny you mention the play dying on Maroon's stick when the play was literally revived from death's door step by Maroon's stick on the GWG tonight. Defending Maroon is not the hill I want to die on. He has very big and obvious flaws, but he is a legit NHLer and he does bring some positives to the table.

In order for Kyrou to stick he needs to play well and he simply hasn't done that. If he was making mistakes but otherwise still contributing to the team then I think Kyrou would have a much longer leash...but he just has not contributed much of value. FWIW it sounds like we both agree that Kyrou should be in SA, even if we disagree on Kyrou's treatment.
I know you're probably not trying to defend Maroon but this is what irks me about the guy. For every 1 thing he does that's a positive, he does 5 things wrong(no that's not a scientific analysis). Anderson put his glove over maroons stick and he was able to knock the puck out, cool.

Well just have to agree to disagree on Kyrou. Even though we agree on the solution

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Regarding the Kyrou discussion, I don't mind him being in the lineup. Is he playing great? No. But he at least gives us some needed speed and has the ability to break out at some point. It might take a while but at least with him, I have the feeling that it's eventually going to click and he'll make an impact. And if the team is going to be scratching Fabbri sometimes, Kyrou isn't a bad replacement.

Blais and MacEachern on the other hand, just suck. They're just there because of the injuries. But there's very little NHL ability with them right now. I mean I enjoy physical play as much as the next guy but you gotta contribute something else than just running into bodies. And they don't, they look lost half the time. I'd much rather they just help San Antonio right now because they won't be doing much for the Blues.

Plus it seems to me like we have a pretty solid 4th-line energy player in Jordan Nolan. He's big, hits hard and plays a simple but effective game - and is reliable at getting pucks in deep and not making dumb turnovers. And he's a veteran, we don't need him to develop in the AHL like the other 2, so I'd keep him here.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Kyrou dominated juniors. Given some time he’s dominating minors now. Double standards exist for players making mistakes on this roster just like the double standard on amount of ice time.

How many games did Maroon get #1 PP time? He’s not a skilled player. He doesn’t even stand in front of the net. He plays to the side of the net and tries the same play 2000 times of trying to slam the puck through the goalie.

Fabbri is sitting in the press box because he made a mistake or played a game where he wasn’t a difference maker.

Perron takes a bad penalty and he sits in the press box. Steen could make a mistake every single shift and he will never sniff a press box seat. It’s clearly favoritism on some level but it doesn’t make any sense. I could see some favoritism for a player that produces a ton of points. That’s certainly not the case with Maroon or Steen.

Perron was hurt, not a healthy scratch.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Kyrou has looked really good at times in the offensive zone with and without the puck. Keep throwing him out there.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
After watching last night, I'm completely convinced that if you absolutely positively need a puck dumped into a zone for a line change or to shift momentum back on a rush, there is no better person in the league to give the puck to than Steen.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Kyrou had an assist two games ago. He’s contributed. For a guy getting sub 10min a night he’s not doin bad
I don't think anyone is saying he can't contribute. I think the question is whether that contribution outweighs the mental mistakes he has, the not moving his feet, the standing around and watching the play at times, and so on - and whether this team in the current situation has the time and patience to let him play through all of that and figure things out without hurting the team's chances to claw back into a playoff spot, not to mention whether it will all click for him in time to start being a net positive.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Regarding the Kyrou discussion, I don't mind him being in the lineup. Is he playing great? No. But he at least gives us some needed speed and has the ability to break out at some point. It might take a while but at least with him, I have the feeling that it's eventually going to click and he'll make an impact. And if the team is going to be scratching Fabbri sometimes, Kyrou isn't a bad replacement.

Blais and MacEachern on the other hand, just suck. They're just there because of the injuries. But there's very little NHL ability with them right now. I mean I enjoy physical play as much as the next guy but you gotta contribute something else than just running into bodies. And they don't, they look lost half the time. I'd much rather they just help San Antonio right now because they won't be doing much for the Blues.

Plus it seems to me like we have a pretty solid 4th-line energy player in Jordan Nolan. He's big, hits hard and plays a simple but effective game - and is reliable at getting pucks in deep and not making dumb turnovers. And he's a veteran, we don't need him to develop in the AHL like the other 2, so I'd keep him here.
Macs a plug but I disagree on Blais. He has a scorers touch. Gotta play kids to let them acclimate to the game and give them a chance to truly find out their ceiling. Imagine the ripping Messier would get on this board during his break into the NHL, the guy had 1 goal in his first 49 games.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I know you're probably not trying to defend Maroon but this is what irks me about the guy. For every 1 thing he does that's a positive, he does 5 things wrong(no that's not a scientific analysis). Anderson put his glove over maroons stick and he was able to knock the puck out, cool.

Well just have to agree to disagree on Kyrou. Even though we agree on the solution
Fair enough, I totally understand some of the frustration about Maroon.

Agree with you 100% about MacEachern and Nolan. I have no idea what the coaching staff/management is seeing in MacEachern that makes them want to play him over a guy like Fabbri. I can understand wanting to sit Fabs and let him regroup - he hasn't played very well recently. But if they continue to consistently play MacEachern over Fabbri I'll be very annoyed. Maybe he can be an effective 4th line guy in the future, but right now MacE is just not an NHL player IMO. Nolan on the other hand is more responsible defensively and makes smarter plays. He has played like a quality 4th line guy so far.

Disagree with you about Blais tho. I think there is definitely a spot for him in the lineup with our current injuries. He was one of our better forwards against the bruins and the goal against the habs was a beauty. He obviously brings the physical play but he also brings some offensive touch and is making smarter plays with the puck compared to earlier in the year IMO. I've liked his game recently more so than Kyrou, MacEachern, or even Fabbri.

Kyrou had an assist two games ago. He’s contributed. For a guy getting sub 10min a night he’s not doin bad
He did make a nice read in the corner and feather a nice pass to ROR in the slot against the bruins. Here's the replay:

Still, I just don't think his positives outweigh his negatives right now. Irish Blues said it very well:

I don't think anyone is saying he can't contribute. I think the question is whether that contribution outweighs the mental mistakes he has, the not moving his feet, the standing around and watching the play at times, and so on - and whether this team in the current situation has the time and patience to let him play through all of that and figure things out without hurting the team's chances to claw back into a playoff spot, not to mention whether it will all click for him in time to start being a net positive.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This is a symptom of thinking too much and not playing comfortably. This is on coaching imo. If they want him on the Blues then he needs to be given a stretch of games without fear of being benched for 1 mistake.

We get a hint of what he can do from time to time and he can create something out of nothing. Last night he undressed someone standing still, feathered a pass to Blais who whiffed on the shot and turned it over. I don't remember Kyrou's turnover but that was effectively the end of his night.

As for Fabbri, I dont think he's being punished. I think he's just having a hard time getting back up to speed. As others have said.....just him playing again is enough for this season

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

This is a really bad take. They aren't benching players because of a mistake. Kyrou and Fabbri are not making positive plays, not winning puck battles, not creating chances, and so their mistakes are compounded. Not just for a game, but really all season (when Kyrou has been up). Do I think they will improve on these areas? Yes. Kyrou is still learning what it means to be a pro and what it takes at this level. Fabbri basically missed 2 whole seasons. But both need to work harder (and smarter) on the ice to earn their ice time.

Steen earned his time based on his track record here, including earlier this year. Even when he doesn't score he still wins puck battles and is sound defensively. And you will notice that Steen is on 3rd line generally and doesn't get ice time he did a few years ago. The club understands he isn't player he used to be and has attempted to put him in role where he still helps the club. Which he does.

As for Maroon, I got nothing for you there. He hasn't lived up to expectations and his ice time was cut accordingly. But he got a long rope for variety of reasons that we all understand. Hopefully his time in Blue Note is nearly up.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I presume Blais and Mac Mac will go down when we get healthier. Agreed that neither have shown much but SOMEBODY needs to play and we don't have a lot of better options right now. Benching Fabbri isn't just about whether he is better than Blais or Mac Mac (he is), but it is message to him that he needs to be better and ice time needs to be earned. This is how you break culture of entitlement, by playing hard working limited players to send message to more skilled guys who aren't paying the price.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This is a really bad take. They aren't benching players because of a mistake. Kyrou and Fabbri are not making positive plays, not winning puck battles, not creating chances, and so their mistakes are compounded. Not just for a game, but really all season (when Kyrou has been up). Do I think they will improve on these areas? Yes. Kyrou is still learning what it means to be a pro and what it takes at this level. Fabbri basically missed 2 whole seasons. But both need to work harder (and smarter) on the ice to earn their ice time.

Steen earned his time based on his track record here, including earlier this year. Even when he doesn't score he still wins puck battles and is sound defensively. And you will notice that Steen is on 3rd line generally and doesn't get ice time he did a few years ago. The club understands he isn't player he used to be and has attempted to put him in role where he still helps the club. Which he does.

As for Maroon, I got nothing for you there. He hasn't lived up to expectations and his ice time was cut accordingly. But he got a long rope for variety of reasons that we all understand. Hopefully his time in Blue Note is nearly up.
But they are creating chances though. Previous games, Kyrou used his speed to negate icings and really get in on the forcheck. He set up Orielly's goal and set Blais up in the slot with a really nice move. I just dont see his negatives as any worse then Maroons....but as you said, managment will continue to gift him spots.

Steen, I cant rag on too much. Nothing really stands out in recent memory. They shouldn't be deploying him based on his previous accomplishments.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

You’re entitled to your opinion but I’d love to hear an explanation of how anyone would expect a young player like Kyrou to grow in his development when they get minimum ice time and are forced to sit if they make a mistake. Mistakes have to happen and are part of the learning process.

Thomas struggled early in the year and still has plenty of room to grow. Look at the difference between the player he is now vs at the beginning of the season. If Thomas was the same age as Kyrou he would have been sent down to the AHL earlier in the year costing him even more development time.

This organization was almost forced into playing Thomas and that’s the only reason he’s at his current development. This organization can’t get out of its own way. The people drafting players are doing their jobs but the people responsible for development leave a lot to be desired.

There’s zero excuses to be sitting Fabbri. It’s beyond ridiculous. This excuse about the team now being in the playoff hunt is laughable. The playoff chase starts at game 1. Fabbri proved what he’s capable of in the NHL as a rookie. Did anyone expect him to step on the ice this year and have no kinks or rust in his game? Did the organization think that. It seems like they did. He’s sitting in the f***ing press box. That’s gotta help him right?

Steen is a 4th line player. I can go back to counting every turnover he’s responsible for but it doesn’t matter. He’s not held to the imaginary standards others are like Perron.

The Blues are half way through the 10 year goalie experiment called Jake Allen. But but but Allen took an entirely new approach this season. Allen looked as horrible as any NHL goalie ever in the Minnesota playoff series and what was the harsh penalty for that suck ass play?? He was rewarded with the starting job only to be outplayed by the “backup”.

But hey, they just got a win that somehow is a celebration over Ottawa. It must have been Steen’s leadership and wonderful play. I’m sure he’ll lead them to great success.

There are dinosaurs on the roster and the most hated goalie in franchise history. He’s more hated than Turek. At least with the 100 other crap goalies the organization cut bait on them.

Hey what do I know? Maybe the Blues are smarter than everyone in the room. Oops maybe not, there’s only 3 teams worse in the West and the Blues have 1 more point than f***ing Arizona.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You’re entitled to your opinion but I’d love to hear an explanation of how anyone would expect a young player like Kyrou to grow in his development when they get minimum ice time and are forced to sit if they make a mistake. Mistakes have to happen and are part of the learning process.

Thomas struggled early in the year and still has plenty of room to grow. Look at the difference between the player he is now vs at the beginning of the season. If Thomas was the same age as Kyrou he would have been sent down to the AHL earlier in the year costing him even more development time.

This organization was almost forced into playing Thomas and that’s the only reason he’s at his current development. This organization can’t get out of its own way. The people drafting players are doing their jobs but the people responsible for development leave a lot to be desired.

There’s zero excuses to be sitting Fabbri. It’s beyond ridiculous. This excuse about the team now being in the playoff hunt is laughable. The playoff chase starts at game 1. Fabbri proved what he’s capable of in the NHL as a rookie. Did anyone expect him to step on the ice this year and have no kinks or rust in his game? Did the organization think that. It seems like they did. He’s sitting in the ****ing press box. That’s gotta help him right?

Steen is a 4th line player. I can go back to counting every turnover he’s responsible for but it doesn’t matter. He’s not held to the imaginary standards others are like Perron.

The Blues are half way through the 10 year goalie experiment called Jake Allen. But but but Allen took an entirely new approach this season. Allen looked as horrible as any NHL goalie ever in the Minnesota playoff series and what was the harsh penalty for that suck ass play?? He was rewarded with the starting job only to be outplayed by the “backup”.

But hey, they just got a win that somehow is a celebration over Ottawa. It must have been Steen’s leadership and wonderful play. I’m sure he’ll lead them to great success.

There are dinosaurs on the roster and the most hated goalie in franchise history. He’s more hated than Turek. At least with the 100 other crap goalies the organization cut bait on them.

Hey what do I know? Maybe the Blues are smarter than everyone in the room. Oops maybe not, there’s only 3 teams worse in the West and the Blues have 1 more point than ****ing Arizona.
Thomas got extremely limited ice time early. He was even scratched a few times. But he progressed and got more responsibility. It's obviously not linear and I agree he might have benefitted from some time in SA but that wasn't option. So instead they made him earn icetime, sit when he played poorly, and he has improved significantly because of it.

I don't care if Kyrou makes mistakes. That is part of growing. But he needs to be winning puck battles and be someone you can rely on. He'll get there. Sitting some (and even trips to SA) are part of the process. Heck, look how much better he was in SA on last stint versus earlier in year. Not worried about him.

Fabbri hasn't been good this year. Is it because he is rusty? Because his confidence is low? I don't know but he was better in November than he has been in January. Completely invisible. Nobody is saying to waive him, but the idea that he was good 3 year ago so we don't hold him accountable now seems to run counter to what you were suggesting with other players. And it's not just about points or goals or mistakes. JS hasn't scored on goalie in months, but he competes and wins puck battles. JS turns it over and makes mistakes, but he isn't benched for it bc it's obvious that he is doing other things to help team. Fabbri should try it.

Steen is another guy that is reliable, wins puck battles, does little things to help on ice. Is he still 1st line player? No. Is he still worth $6mm? No. But I don't get why he is such a lightning rod when he has had such great career in St. Louis. Honestly we should be debating whether to hang is jersey in the rafters when he retires.

Not sure what your argument is with Allen. That he was given too much without earning it (like you want them to do with Kyrou and others)? Or just that he isn't very good and we ultimately can't win with him as #1? I don't really disagree with either. He's never been reliable enough that you want him as #1 and the sooner he goes the better.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It didn't work with Ian Cole, but he sucked. Jordan Kyrou, ... that's going to be different, because he doesn't suck. He's got top-6 top-3 elite caliber mythic caliber talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->