Sens attendance tracker

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Thought it would be interesting to track attendance in one thread.

Not looking to re-hash old debates, just see how big a dent is being put in his pocket.

November 19 vs Florida

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
As the trek to Kanata gets snowier, colder and the season hits the dog days, 11000 on a weeknight will be the norm.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Thu, Oct 4 vs Chi: 15,858
Wed, Oct 10 vs Phi: 13,215
Sat, Oct 13 vs L.A.: 15,355
Mon, Oct 15 vs Dal: 12,358
Sat, Oct 20 vs Mtl: 18,442
Tue, Oct 23 vs Bos: 15,265
Thu, Nov 1 vs Buf: 12,587
Sun, Nov 4 vs T.B.: 11,364
Tue, Nov 6 vs N.J.: 12,491
Thu, Nov 8 vs VGK: 15,213
Thu, Nov 15 vs Det: 13,402
Sat, Nov 17 vs Pit: 17,692
Mon, Nov 19 vs Fla: 11,570

Updated with dates....

Last edited:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I mean, hockey reference already does track this...

2018-19 Ottawa Senators Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com

I guess they don't have tonight's game yet though.

Is there some reason we really need a thread if you're specifically not looking to examine why?
If I attempt to discuss attendance in the game thread people get upset.

Just thought keeping it here would help.

If other people want to discuss the reasons, so be it, but there is no official organized boycott so I don't think of this as a boycott thread per se.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I’ll just say that I was also considering a thread like this. I come here daily and I thought it’d be nice to have it consolidated here.

What’s the harm?

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
There have been worse crowds with Karlsson on our team by the way.

Too bad as many missed an exciting game. I think the young stars will make their presence undeniable at some point. Batherson has all the tools to be a huge factor. What a homestand for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensFactor

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
There have been words crowds with Karlsson on our team by the way.

Too bad as many missed an exciting game. I think the young stars will make their presence undeniable at some point. Batherson has all the tools to be a huge factor. What a homestand for him.

We are all watching the same game as you. Didn't "miss" anything. Very exciting hockey. I know you bring up Karlsson often in these discussions (I, too, was at that Arizona game you reference with 11k and change), but focusing on EK65 as the reason the crowds are thin is not representing what is happening properly, at all.

He's a reason - and maybe a bigger one in the laundry list of reasons for why things are how they are - but you're totally framing this wrong. A bit surprising, because I know you have a handle on what is really happening and how deep the roots run from your engagement on here and with the club. It didn't begin when Karlsson took the podium minutes after he was traded to San Jose.

Yes, the team has been exciting to watch. Please tell me you understand this....

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Was just checking the Florida Panthers 'website and this came up. If Ottawa had something like this, more fans might be happy to join in!

cut.jpg
panthers

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ave Attendance for 2017-2018 was 15,829 (including the outdoor game)
without the outdoor game 15,376

So far this season the average is 14,216

average of 1160 lower than last season's average (sans the outdoor game)​

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Last year's attendance was actual tickets sold.

This year there has been a major papering of the arena.

Anyone failing to mention this fact is intentionally being misleading.

Melnyk's bottom line and cashflow is taking a significant hit.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
As the poor product on the ice continues to unravel the numbers will undoubtedly go down, there will be a bit of a surge over the holidays but I'm gonna predict a humiliating beatdown from the Capitals in either of the Saturday night games over the holidays which will expose the un-invested product for what it is to the average fan.

There may be another uptick in attendance as the mgmt. teams lies to the fanbase again about trying to sign their skilled players leading up to the trade deadline, then a massive falloff after most are traded for futures, the lies are yet again exposed and the stories of the mayhem begin to trickle out.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ave Attendance for 2017-2018 was 15,829 (including the outdoor game)
without the outdoor game 15,376

So far this season the average is 14,216

average of 1160 lower than last season's average (sans the outdoor game)​

If you count each unsold seat as a $100 account (ticket, parking, beer, hot dog) that’s $4 756 000 in Canadian dollars, or $3 600 000 in USD. That’s a lot of money for a franchise like Ottawa. When everyone wants a raise and your revenue arrow is going down, might be tough for people to get paid.

Reactions: coladin

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
As the poor product on the ice continues to unravel the numbers will undoubtedly go down, there will be a bit of a surge over the holidays but I'm gonna predict a humiliating beatdown from the Capitals in either of the Saturday night games over the holidays which will expose the un-invested product for what it is to the average fan.

There may be another uptick in attendance as the mgmt. teams lies to the fanbase again about trying to sign their skilled players leading up to the trade deadline, then a massive falloff after most are traded for futures, the lies are yet again exposed and the stories of the mayhem begin to trickle out.
The product on the ice has been better than it has for quite a few seasons. Even 2016/17 although there was success in the playoffs the product and atmosphere was awful. I have been to 2 games so far this year and will be going to more as the product is entertaining, which is the primary goal in the entertainment industry.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We are all watching the same game as you. Didn't "miss" anything. Very exciting hockey. I know you bring up Karlsson often in these discussions (I, too, was at that Arizona game you reference with 11k and change), but focusing on EK65 as the reason the crowds are thin is not representing what is happening properly, at all.

He's a reason - and maybe a bigger one in the laundry list of reasons for why things are how they are - but you're totally framing this wrong. A bit surprising, because I know you have a handle on what is really happening and how deep the roots run from your engagement on here and with the club. It didn't begin when Karlsson took the podium minutes after he was traded to San Jose.

Yes, the team has been exciting to watch. Please tell me you understand this....

Oh really?

Please frame it for me then.

My point is as clear as day. The circle jerk for the militia gets interrupted by the fact that before Melnyk became the "December 2017 Melnyk", the generational player failed to inspire people to come watch him at that game we were both at. 11,069. You take you. me, my kids and others and very close to 10,9s. Turris was there too and I think Cyril Leeder.

So now people are really mad at Melnyk. They lost their "generational player". The drive still sucks as the stadium is now well into its third decade in Kanata. Dorion sucks. Still too expensive , I guess. Concessions outrageous. Parking is not free yet. HD TVs have never been cheaper. Aylmer is closeby for cheap beer and Costco in Gatineau too. Fans are apathetic and can't get off the couch and don't feel like scraping their windows after the gae and getting out of the parking lot. Sens Uber. Sens Twitter bots. And last night had more fans than that game.

If you want to impress me, fickle fans of Ottawa, get below 11K.

Did I miss anything?

Now I will leave and let you all revel in the low attendance and you can all gloat about your noble parts in it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If you count each unsold seat as a $100 account (ticket, parking, beer, hot dog) that’s $4 756 000 in Canadian dollars, or $3 600 000 in USD. That’s a lot of money for a franchise like Ottawa. When everyone wants a raise and your revenue arrow is going down, might be tough for people to get paid.
I used the 67.00 average ticket price added 10.00 for share of parking and concessions as not every ticket equals parking or concessions sold, and estimated 3000 less tickets sold which comes to 9.4M CDN and 6.6M USD over the course of a full season. I am not convinced that 6.6M is going to hurt EM in any conceivable way.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The product on the ice has been better than it has for quite a few seasons. Even 2016/17 although there was success in the playoffs the product and atmosphere was awful. I have been to 2 games so far this year and will be going to more as the product is entertaining, which is the primary goal in the entertainment industry.

I could buy more entertaining for sure but as far as "better" I can't agree as I take the W/L record and opportunity to accumulate wins into the equation. It's the reason why I prefer professional hockey say over major junior (MJ being more entertaining in my eyes because of the choas but Pro being "better" more skilled plays etc...). I expect this current team to lose most games which I did not for most seasons in the past. I will be giving my sporting entertainment dollars to the Redblacks organization moving forward, the fan experience and trust in ownership and management to improve are polar opposites imo.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I could buy more entertaining for sure but as far as "better" I can't agree as I take the W/L record and opportunity to accumulate wins into the equation. It's the reason why I prefer professional hockey say over major junior (MJ being more entertaining in my eyes because of the choas but Pro being "better" more skilled plays etc...). I expect this current team to lose most games which I did not for most seasons in the past. I will be giving my sporting entertainment dollars to the Redblacks organization moving forward, the fan experience and trust in ownership and management to improve are polar opposites imo.
The team is 7-4-2 at home which is a winning record. You don't spend a dime on road games.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Was just checking the Florida Panthers 'website and this came up. If Ottawa had something like this, more fans might be happy to join in!

cut.jpg
panthers

You know those hot dogs are going to be legit too because of 'Merica. Not the flaccid and embarrassing meat tubes we get here.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
If the team only pulls in 11,000 for the majority of the winter, from a capacity of 18,000 at a conservative ticket price of around 45$, Eugene stands to lose around 397,000$ in revenue pernight including parking and not including concessions. That's about 11,910,000$ lost based on 30 home games left. I wonder how long he can put up with that. Make no mistake this thing is a war between Eugene and the fanbase. The contempt is palpable.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If the team only pulls in 11,000 for the majority of the winter, from a capacity of 18,000 at a conservative ticket price of around 45$, Eugene stands to lose around 397,000$ in revenue pernight including parking and not including concessions. That's about 11,910,000$ lost based on 30 home games left. I wonder how long he can put up with that. Make no mistake this thing is a war between Eugene and the fanbase. The contempt is palpable.
and how many tickets are given away for free which wasn't done last year iirc

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
and how many tickets are given away for free which wasn't done last year iirc
Mentioned this before. My company owns a pair of season tickets. One game they were given 30 or so FREE pairs of tickets. I think its happening throughout the season here and there but that was the only game where I got an actual count of how many were given away. Now apply this to the other 4000 or so STH the Sens have.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Mentioned this before. My company owns a pair of season tickets. One game they were given 30 or so FREE pairs of tickets. I think its happening throughout the season here and there but that was the only game where I got an actual count of how many were given away. Now apply this to the other 4000 or so STH the Sens have.
crazyyyy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad