Confirmed with Link: Sens Acquire Anders Nilsson and Darren Archibald from Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Well it's a move for sure, rebuilding team keeps dealing picks lol wonder if Boucher quits in a display of unity for Pyatt?

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Agreed, it was tough to watch. A journeyman who paid his dues riding the bus having his dreams crushed before our very eyes.

yeah I second this. With all the crap the sens have gone through the last 1.5 seasons, it was good to see a mid 30's journeyman goalie get a shot, make some money, and make some memories for him and his family. Now from it looks like its all back to the AHL for him and his family.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I really dislike us giving up a draft pick right now when our season is in the toilet anyways.

I think this trade can be justifiable if it's part of a greater set of moves. If giving up a high 6th round pick right now allows us to get a goalie who can play a respectable 20-30 games for us to close out the season, that puts us in a better position to trade Craig Anderson and capitalize on what is usually a strong market for goalies at the deadline.

Could we deal Anderson anyways? Sure. But it won't be pretty playing McKenna as our starter.

There's also the faint possibility of upping Nilsson's value and being able to deal him for a better pick at the deadline.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Only thing that I think of with regards to this trade is WHY THE f*** NOW???? WHY NOT DO THIS IN THE FIRST 2 MONTHS OF THE SEASON WHEN IT WAS APPARENT YOUR GOALTENDING IS DOG SHIT???

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Please, the trading of a 6th round draft pick is not going to make or break any team. There's about a 20% chance of a sixth round draft pick ever making the NHL.

yost-draft1_53958.jpg

Wow, 20% is much higher than I thought. Why would a team in a "Full-Rebuild" give up a 20% chance at an NHL player?

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Only thing that I think of with regards to this trade is WHY THE **** NOW???? WHY NOT DO THIS IN THE FIRST 2 MONTHS OF THE SEASON WHEN IT WAS APPARENT YOUR GOALTENDING IS DOG ****???

who knows, maybe it would have cost a 5th round pick...can't have that.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Nilsson is occasionally streaky but mostly sucks and is overpaid as a backup.

Archibald is a legitimate NHL player. You guys will like him. Played 3rd line minutes getting buried in tough defensive starts last year and killed it ... and then got unfairly replaced by the much worse Schaller. Clunky skater but very physical, good defensively, good hands for a checker.

Is he a pugilist? We need someone who is willing to punch people in the face and stand up for our guys. We've been completely emasculated during some of our last games. Teams are taking liberties with us.

Not to shine the @aragorn bat light, but if that's the profile he fits as a player, us acquiring him is a good thing right now. We're going to lose, so we might as well have someone on the bench who will punch the Matt Martin's of the world in the face if they try to take liberties on Thomas Chabot.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Only thing that I think of with regards to this trade is WHY THE **** NOW???? WHY NOT DO THIS IN THE FIRST 2 MONTHS OF THE SEASON WHEN IT WAS APPARENT YOUR GOALTENDING IS DOG ****???

Yeah, I don't have a problem with this deal, but I wonder why it took so long to get SOMEONE to play in nets.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Great trade. We desperately needed a goalie. Nilsson is undoubtedly better than McKenna, and a change in environment might ignite him.

Also, lol @ everyone losing their shit over the 6th round pick. We just got a 6th for Wideman. Surely we can trade one of them away in order to get a more reliable backup.

Reactions: Smeddy and aragorn

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is he a pugilist? We need someone who is willing to punch people in the face and stand up for our guys. We've been completely emasculated during some of our last games. Teams are taking liberties with us.

Not to shine the @aragorn bat light, but if that's the profile he fits as a player, us acquiring him is a good thing right now. We're going to lose, so we might as well have someone on the bench who will punch the Matt Martin's of the world in the face if they try to take liberties on Thomas Chabot.

Not a goon but will fight and stick up for teammates if necessary.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Great trade. We desperately needed a goalie. Nilsson is undoubtedly better than McKenna, and a change in environment might ignite him.

Also, lol @ everyone losing their **** over the 6th round pick. We just got a 6th for Wideman. Surely we can trade one of them away in order to get a more reliable backup.
Should have been done the moment Condon was done.

Reactions: coladin and HSF

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018

How much better is he? What if he is only 1% better?

What if a change in environment makes him worse?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Probably money.

Pyatt being an AHLer makes this trade much closer to salary in/out than it would have been if Pyatt was in the NHL. His 1.2M salary becomes a sunk cost that subsidizes Nilsson's 2M salary.

I also think it's possible that we've decided to trade Craig Anderson since we're now 99 percent out of the playoffs. There is probably a feeling that if we are trading Craig Anderson, we need someone who can play in net in the NHL for us.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Financial Breakdown

I would be surprised if the Canucks didn't retain salary. Nilsson makes 2 million this season.

Assuming there is no retention that we later find out about, here's how the trade works out salary wise assuming both Pyatt and Archibald are going to stay in the minors for the Senators, and McKenna would be in the NHL.

NHL salary out=0.700M
AHL salary out=1.200M
Total Salary out=1.900M

NHL salary in=2.00M
AHL salary out=0.200M
Total Salary out=2.200M

Sens payroll increases by 300k. It doesn't sound like a lot, but this is the Senators we're talking about.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The only question I have is: have the Vancouver Canucks seen either McKenna or Pyatt play this year? Why on earth would you trade for one, let alone both, of these steaming crap piles?

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad