Post-Game Talk: Sens 5, Habs 1

burf

Mar 27, 2012
If Spez doesn't play on friday, we'll get a good idea of what life without our star center will be like. Staal x2 vs. Turris/Zibanejad/Regin will be a rude awakening.

I will say this though, we have so much more depth than in previous years to deal with this. Having Da Costa tucked away in Bingo is a nice insurance policy and Turris being a legit #2 with upside to become a #1 is something we've never really had.

At the same time, Carolina's defensive depth and goaltending leaves a lot to be desired. And while Carolina has better center depth than Montreal or Washington, they're still struggling to put it together offensively this season (14 goals in 5 games). If the Sens can handle Washington and Montreal without Spezza, they should be able to handle Carolina as well. Not saying it'll be an easy game, just saying if they keep playing the way they have the past 2 games, with good team defense, smart play, and everyone chipping in offensively, Carolina shouldn't be a rude awakening.

I feel for Spezza. His wingers are always Michalek and ??? so he soaks almost all the opposition's best dmen. Surprised that at his worst, Spezza is just a tad below a ppg.

I felt bad for him 2 years ago when he was stuck with Greening and Butler all year, but last year Michalek finally started to live up to his potential, and now this year he's been one of our most dynamic forwards, creating more offense than anyone else and playing a complete defensive game. I wouldn't feel bad for Spezza as long as he's got Michalek on his line going forward.

I'll take a Benn or Couture over him because of age.

There's something to be said for having an experienced veteran 1st line center. Short-term I'd take Spezza 10/10 times.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Read my post again. At his best, he's not replaceable. But the Spezza from this season so far won't be missed.

He's slow, not moving his feet.
-Therefore his puck possession time is down, so he's not creating as much offense, and allows the other team to create more
-therefore he's been lackluster defensively, slow on the backcheck

''He's ppg'' -don't care. He's not really helping that much.

I'll take a Benn or Couture over him because of age.

We must be watching different games. Spezza has controlled the puck for the majority of the time he's been on the ice. On top of which he's playing sound defensively, dominating the faceoff circle and chipping in offensively. He's created many opportunities that haven't been capitalized on because, again, he doesn't really play with any elite linemates. He was arguably the best player on the ice in the Pittsburgh game but it largely goes unnoticed because unless people are potting in what he creates people have this notion that he isn't doing much.

Spezza is irreplaceable -- and certainly not replaceable by guys like Couture and Benn.

Also all of that happens without him being in beast mode. When Spezza is in beast mode he's a top 5 player in the league period. Only Karlsson has as much impact (or more) on this team's presence on the ice as Spezza.

The biggest difference this year from 2 years ago when Spezza was out for a long stretch is Turris. Turris has really matured and become a very talented player. It's still not ideal, but having him there lessens the burden on Karlsson and still keeps an elite offensive player in the line-up down the middle. Fisher was just never able to take on that job.

WhiteLight*

But if you take a small sample to evaluated whether they're replaceable from any player you'd want to trade every player and never be happy with what you have. Karlsson will go on 4-5 game runs where he's not going to be impressive. Should we trade him when he slumps? Crosby will have streaks where he doesn't contribute to wins, should the Pens trade him for Jamie Benn? It's not like Jamie Benn and Couturier are flawless players who never have cold streaks where they do absolutely nothing in a game.

Sure.

I think Spezza's a little better than Benn and Couture. But age factors in here, and I pick the younger guys here.

When Spezza plays bad, his all around game suffers.

Okay, so a guy that is a PPG isn't creating much offense. It's really too bad he's not as good as Wayne Gretzky.

Empty net goal, few points against a horrible Florida team, random PPG against Tampa that didn't make any difference

Bottom line is he hasn't been creating much 5-on-5

2 for 2 with Spezza out. Just saying, he can't be making THAT much of a difference.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
At the same time, Carolina's defensive depth and goaltending leaves a lot to be desired. And while Carolina has better center depth than Montreal or Washington, they're still struggling to put it together offensively this season (14 goals in 5 games). If the Sens can handle Washington and Montreal without Spezza, they should be able to handle Carolina as well. Not saying it'll be an easy game, just saying if they keep playing the way they have the past 2 games, with good team defense, smart play, and everyone chipping in offensively, Carolina shouldn't be a rude awakening.

I felt bad for him 2 years ago when he was stuck with Greening and Butler all year, but last year Michalek finally started to live up to his potential, and now this year he's been one of our most dynamic forwards, creating more offense than anyone else and playing a complete defensive game. I wouldn't feel bad for Spezza as long as he's got Michalek on his line going forward.
I don't understand Cam Ward. The guy is probably one of the best pressure goaltenders in the world (and the guy I would have wanted Canada to start a the Olympics before he got hurt), but he can be remarkably average at best in other situations.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Sure.

I think Spezza's a little better than Benn and Couture. But age factors in here, and I pick the younger guys here.

Empty net goal, few points against a horrible Florida team, random PPG against Tampa that didn't make any difference

2 for 2 with Spezza out. Just saying, he can't be making THAT much of a difference.

Huge sample size here

WhiteLight*

Huge sample size here

Again, just saying. Team seems to stay about the same and not miss a beat when he's out.

Couture: Young, two-way centre, 9 points in 6 games this year, 65 last year. Great player. What's so crazy about this?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Guys...stop the press. We beat Washington and Montreal without Spezza. Obviously he isn't important to the team and we should trade him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ehhh...nevermind. I just realized this guy is clearly a troll (or I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is) and he doesn't actually watch this team play or listen to what the other players have to say about Spezza.

Forever underrated.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Sure.

You've got to be trolling. We are winning without a PPG player, we'll be that much better with a PPG player. Benn and Couture have a lot to accomplish before they can come close to having a career like Spezza.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Sure.

Even when Spezza isn't contributing offensively, opposing teams will always line up their top D pairing against him. This means our depth has a better chance of scoring.

If the Turris line, Smith line, or OB line have to face their top 4 of other teams consistently, our scoring potential drops the same way we'd like our chances better of having Karlsson and Methot against the Leafs second line than we do against the Kessel line.

We also need veterans on the team to lead our youth if we ever want to win anything. I'll take a 29? yo top 15 league wide centre in his prime as a vet any day. Having a bunch of youth gives you what Edmonton has - fun but chaotic hockey with little hope of winning a cup. Furthermore, with the cap, having all these young players needing pay bumps at the same time isn't ideal as you'll likely end up having to trade some away (leaving you with what we have now, good veteran skill with young guys). And to come full circle you'd be suggesting they trade the older Eberle's/RNH/Yakupovs for more young talent to rinse and repeat without ever being a cup contender because you keep trading the leadership away.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Forever underrated.
I'm happy the Sens fans no longer underrate him, no more stupid booing, now all the constant "trade Spezza" are in jest, appreciating the strides he's made defensively, and a consensus on the next captain.

Why even having a thought like trading Spezza for a player who at his best is worse that Spezza at his worst?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Again, just saying. Team seems to stay about the same and not miss a beat when he's out.

Couture: Young, two-way centre, 9 points in 6 games this year, 65 last year. Great player. What's so crazy about this?

Curious to see how many "meaningless" points Couture has out of the 9 points he has accumulated so far.

Berserker*

he's kind of replaceable. When he's not playing well, he's actually the type of player we can do without. When he's playing well, he's not replaceable.

Therefore, he's in between those 2 extremes. I'd trade him for a guy like Couture or Benn for example.

Are you talking about a 1-for-1 trade? Or Spezza for either Benn + or Couture +?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Can you all please stop responding to this rambling troll so I don't need to see his posts? It's very discouraging putting someone on your ignore list and then seeing every single one of their posts.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Sure.

I would consider what you do here trolling. You cannot seriously be this clueless. You take our best player and compare him to two players that aren't even in the same ball park. Good job.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
You've got to be trolling. We are winning without a PPG player, we'll be that much better with a PPG player. Benn and Couture have a lot to accomplish before they can come close to having a career like Spezza.

funny that we have a consensus here, without even seeing each others posts.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
can we get back to the game discussion?

i liked gui's game today. he's still not scoring, but was using his body much more. regin on the other hand...

in any case, i think both of these guys will turn it around offensively wise. just a matter of getting in the swing of things. barring injuries of course.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
two good games without spezza = team doesnt miss a beat without him.

would you care to provide this team's record in spezza's career in games with and without him MAK, or are you the type of scientist that says I dont get sick without a flu shot, therefore flu shots are a government conspiracy?

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
two good games without spezza = team doesnt miss a beat without him.

would you care to provide this team's record in spezza's career in games with and without him MAK, or are you the type of scientist that says I dont get sick without a flu shot, therefore flu shots are a government conspiracy?

I've never gotten a flu shot, and have never gotten the flu..

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
I think the player worth griping (a wee bit) about is Regin. Poor guy's been pretty invisible - and you can't say that he's not getting playing time. Just not there..yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad