Value of: Sens 2019 1st Rd Pick (Avs own)

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Time to revisit this guy after the Sharks fleeced the Senators.

The obvious answer is the Avs keep the pick and laugh to the bank no matter where it ends up, but what would your team give up for it pre-lottery and can even throw out hypotheticals or if it lands at 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5th overall?

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Only reason Avs move it because there’s a chance it won’t be Hughes

Only reason anyone trades fair value for it is because there’s a chance it will be Hughes

So....

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The pick has less value than you would think. It has too much volatility for a team to trade what the avs would demand right now. While, I fully expect Ottawa to finish in last place this year, just look at how Avs, Devils and Vegas did last year, and these were teams many expected to be competing for Dahlin. There are clear differences between them and Ottawa, but the league can be strange. You can't trade a key franchise piece for a likely 4th overall pick that has the volatility to be much lower. Now, if Ottawa is dead in the water at the deadline, the pick will hold immense value.

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Teams pretty much don't trade first round picks before a season for the sake of trading the pick. If it's the cost for a good player, possibly. But then they would lottery protect it.

Reactions: HabsQC and Digable5

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
They aren’t trading it. You can give me the whole “it only has X% of being Jack Hughes” all you want, but either way it’s pretty much a lock to be top 10. Avs can almost certainly draft their future 2C to play behind Mackinnon for next decade regardless of where that puck falls.

The chance of it actually being 1st overall is just gravy.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The pick right now has massive value, It’s almost certain the Sens will finish bottom 5 in the league. You get to enter three lotteries, one of which is for Jack Hughes which would be a franchise defining pick. Even if they lose all three lotteries they will still be picking 4-10th depending how bad the Sens are.
It’s really hard to gage the value of this pick pre lottery but my guess is somewhere around a top 4 defenceman a good prospect and a future first round pick.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Could maaaaaaaaybe see them trading it for an extended Stone, but otherwise they are keeping it. Dorion screwed up big time.
The odds of it being #1 are very low. Ottawa finished second last this year but their pick dropped to #4. I'm not sure how keeping a guaranteed top 4 pick vs a mystery box is a screw up. Point to Dorian for other decisions but I think this one is misguided

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
AVS Fans : Thats not enough for the chance at Hughes.

Everyone Else : Its only an 18% chance at best, 'it could even be a boat' memes, and "HF overrates draft picks".

No one wants to overpay for it, and the Avs don’t want to sell it for anything less.

I’d be shocked if they move the pick. House money... play with it.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I remember when the Sabres had the Isles first pick leading up to the 2015 draft. It was a pretty terrible feeling when people would talk about it like it was guaranteed to be McDavid or Eichel. My hope for Ottawa fans is that things end up playing out similarly for them.

Reactions: krt88nc

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
That's a top 10 pick. Avs seem to be doing pretty ok at drafting in the top 10. They'll keep the pick. The pick they're likely to move is their own.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
tumblr_mavo3mByjd1ro8ysbo1_r1_500.gif

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Even if it's not Jack Hughes, this pick is probably top five, which means three years ELC and at least seven years until UFA for a player that is probably going to result in at least a top six fw/top four d. That type of cap control is huge in the modern NHL, especially when you want to compete. There's a reason why high picks never get traded anymore.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why would the Av's trade a chance at a star ELC for 3 years?

At worst you're getting a guy like Dach at 4/5, who is unbelievable

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
If i'm the Avs GM i'm hoping some crazy offer is thrown my way so i can take it and run. There is too much parody in this league hell everyone thought Vegas would finish last this past season. While recent events make it seem that Ottawa will finish last that doesn't even guarantee the #1 overall pick.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
With the amount of really good C's available in this draft, the Avs have no reason to trade this pick. We need someone that can carry a line behind MacKinnon, Jost may develop into that role, but another high end prospect there wouldn't hurt in the least.

Reactions: avsfan09

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Having this pick just means the Avs have the opportunity to move their own 1st rounder for something if it pops up. They won't move Ottawa's.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Why? We’re playing with house money on a pick that is most certainly top 5 from the most dysfunctional organization in the NHL, plus our own 1st Rounder in a deep draft. You can chill all you want, but I’m excited!

Yes i totally get it but we arent there yet , not even close. Too many things can happen between now and the lottery.
Plus idk just be cool guys, go about your business , most likely its gonna be top 15 or 18..thats still great t0 shore up our depth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad