Senators will submit bid for Lebreton Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
If everything goes well how long before the Sens would be playing in the new stadium?

It would take a few years to plan finances I think, the construction of the Palladium took 18 months. i think 5 years from now is a good guess.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
How long before we hear from the outraged Friends of Lebreton Flats?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well it seems people just have way more faith in this town than I do. I just find it hard to believe that the same NCC who would fight tooth and nail about 1 mile of rail track would allow a massive stadium to be built on its land. Not to mention all the people that live in the near vicinity to Lebreton Flats losing their collective **** and years and years of legal challenges that would happen. This city spent years to fight to renovate a stadium that was already there lol. I will eat my hat if this ever gets built.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong. It would be great. I'll leave everyone to their celebrating now.

The NCC "boss" is a big time Sens fan

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
Well it seems people just have way more faith in this town than I do. I just find it hard to believe that the same NCC who would fight tooth and nail about 1 mile of rail track would allow a massive stadium to be built on its land. Not to mention all the people that live in the near vicinity to Lebreton Flats losing their collective **** and years and years of legal challenges that would happen. This city spent years to fight to renovate a stadium that was already there lol. I will eat my hat if this ever gets built.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong. It would be great. I'll leave everyone to their celebrating now.

This is a different animal, I think. They just want people to be able to access the river front. It is a parkway, afterall. I can understand their reluctance to add train tracks.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Think there's legs to the Greenberg/Minto rumours of a 'partnership' with Melnyk this past summer?

Im not well connected whatsoever, but I've been to a few Xmas parties recently where a few Ottawa VIPs have been and after a few drinks, I wasnt too shy to poke around. No one brought up Minto/Greenberg specifically, but they did say Melnyk wont be going in on this solo...

Take that for what it's worth.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

Believe me, Chinatown and Centretown West will lose their minds if the Sens' proposal is selected. Obviously you'll have a fraction of the cars going to an arena at Lebreton compared to the CTC, but I'm sure it'll be enough to clog up Booth, Bronson, and Rochester on gamenights.

Karlsson2Turris*

I don't care about any damn rink. Let's fix this ****ing team first.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
More Habs fans from Gatineau to convert

That's a big one

The enfranchised ones won't be converted but the younger ones might

I always wonder if the team found a way to incorporate Gatineau/Hull in it's name if it would help

Ottawa could be the valley but it's understood as the city. Rebranding the team as Ottawa/Gatineau, somehow, might be an interesting thought experiment

I don't care about any damn rink. Let's fix this ****ing team first.

First of all: this is something that would likely be ten or more years down the road

Second of all: this would allow the Senators to sell tickets at a higher price which would definitely help the team be more competitive money-wise

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
John Baird's winning submission for the land is a giant bust of his own head.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Well, thankfully cynics like yourself are typically on the side line, and not at the helm of such proposals. Leave the hand wringing and skepticism for those on the sidelines not really in touch with what is happening on the ground level.

As to the local opposition from those living near Lebreton Flats, you are really not paying attention. This has been on the radar for months and no locals are opposing this. That's the whole reason this is so politically easy for a number of local politicians - there is no opposition group in terms of a neighbourhood this would negatively effect. it's a dead piece of land with no negative impact to locals. 99% of condo owners in the 'hood will be over the moon.

There is still much work to do politically in terms of the optics of a sweet heart deal being given to a professional sports franchise, and Melynk certainly has the ego to undermine that variable, but clearly the momentum is going in the right direction. And the NCC is already on board if the optics can be done right and the facility can be multi-use.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

That's the beauty - there are no people living in Lebreton flats. So there are no friends.

When Windmill went to propose a massive high rise as part of Les Isles development next door, no one objected. And that's simply because there are no neighbours. The closest people are Mechanicsville, who will be over the moon to have a franchise there, as there are no real negative impacts to a new sports arena a km or so away. The next closest are downtowners on the eastern edge, who are much higher up and equally enthused about a rink there.

Basically, if there isn't a very vocal group out there yet, there likely won't be one.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Hypothetically, if this were to happen, does Melnyk retain all revenue to CapitalTickets & non-hockey events? If so, it's a massive win for Melnyk.

He would retain Capital Tickets most likely, but in terms of non-hockey related revenue, that is really the issue that remains. If he wants to own everything in the ecosystem AND the rink, that is the recipe of where this proposal will fail. He has to be willing to accept partners, so that it is not a totally Melynk owned building and ecosystem.

That is the current game being played behind closed doors.

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata
And what the hell are they going to do with the CTC? Or the Sensplex down the street? Or all the development that's been done around the stadium?

This is pure fantasy and will go nowhere. Unless they're talking about moving in 20 years...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
And what the hell are they going to do with the CTC? Or the Sensplex down the street? Or all the development that's been done around the stadium?

This is pure fantasy and will go nowhere. Unless they're talking about moving in 20 years...

It's going to happen

They will turn CTC into a mall just like they did with your precious Forum

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I'm sure Eugene has a few hundred mill lying around for this, and I'm sure the NCC will be just elated to allow a stadium to be built on its land lol.

There is a better chance of Cesars Palace moving in beside Scotia Bank place, Crosby demanding a trade here and the second coming of Christ becoming our towel boy, than this stadium getting built in Lebreton flats. This will just be another thing for Eugene to whine about, and add fuel to the relocation rumours.

So they just shouldn't even bother? Who cares if they submit for the RFQ, it's literally the least amount of effort they could do to look at new arena options for the future.

Someone always gonna whine about something.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Do you guys think any blueprints/pictures have been made? And if so do you think they'll get released? I'd love to see what this development could potentially look like

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa

What's the Sensplex got to do with anything? It will still be a Sensplex, just like the other ones that are no where near CTC. The development around the arena? I'm not sure how many people are stopping in to pick up a couple cars on their way to the game, to be fair. I think the autopark will be fine, although the Ultramar may take a hit.

I think they could re-purpose the CTC for something else.

It's not fantasy, because they are submitting a proposal. Whether or not it's the winning bid, doesn't make it 'fantasy'.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Do you guys think any blueprints/pictures have been made? And if so do you think they'll get released? I'd love to see what this development could potentially look like

Google "Ottawa lebreton flats stadium" and go to "images" and you'll get several mock ups and photoshops showing where it would go and how it would look.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What's the Sensplex got to do with anything? It will still be a Sensplex, just like the other ones that are no where near CTC. The 'develpment' around the arena? I'm not sure how many people are stopping in to pick up a couple cars on their way to the game, to be fair. I think the autopark will be fine, although the Ultramar may take a hit.

I think they could re-purpose the CTC for something else.

It's not fantasy, because they are submitting a proposal. Whether or not it's the winning bid, doesn't make it 'fantasy'.

I never thought about the ultramar. We can't move the stadium now. How will the ultramar survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad