Pre-Game Talk: Senators @ WHC

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I watch some bits and pieced.. maybe a period or two.. depending on who's playing . I've watched most US games ... missed this am's 6:15 start vs Finland.. USA Canada was the best game so far for me. Honestly I find most of it pretty boring. A whole lot of nothing going on. Much preferred the U18 WC over this one
I've only watched a few games, it's pretty dreadful hockey tbh. Part of that is because I'm comparing it to the ongoing playoffs which is at a level so far beyond this. I enjoy the games between where the small hockey nations play each other and the big ones play each other. When there's so much difference in skill and experience, the lesser team can just play so defensively on big ice. It's like watching the Greek or Italian nation soccer teams play in in the 2000s.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I've only watched a few games, it's pretty dreadful hockey tbh. Part of that is because I'm comparing it to the ongoing playoffs which is at a level so far beyond this. I enjoy the games between where the small hockey nations play each other and the big ones play each other. When there's so much difference in skill and experience, the lesser team can just play so defensively on big ice. It's like watching the Greek or Italian nation soccer teams play in in the 2000s.

Below the belt man, below the belt. Those teams were boooooooorring!

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Gonna be one hell of a Q/F on Thursday....

Screenshot 2018-05-15 19.26.22.png

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Judging by the crowds at some of these games, I think not. Too bad it's at a bad time slot for North American viewers...

Honestly ... I'm currently a European viewer and I'm not really watching many games. I'll probably start now as the games will get good. Thinking about catching a flight to Copenhagen as the tickets are dirt cheap but we'll see. Wish I had a Sens/Canada jersey with me.

But yeah I think between the time difference and the fact that the Stanley Cup playoffs are still going on, they're really hurting for viewers.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Judging by the crowds at some of these games, I think not. Too bad it's at a bad time slot for North American viewers...

Czech games have all been packed anyhow.

According to the threads from the tournament board there were also issues with them wanting to sell the tickets as day blocks, so official attendance is high but the ticketholder is really only interested in seeing their one game of that day (and I mean, how many people can really afford to spend a whole day at an arena?). Also apparently lots of locals buying up tickets thinking they'd be able to resell them at way over face value and ending up dissappointed.

Not nearly as bad as when it was in Sweden a few years back, but again, a lot of it has to do with how they sell tickets and manage pricing. Last time it was in Prague I went to a single game (Canada-Austria) because it was all I could afford. Took only one of my kids as a birthday present. Personally I think it's ridiculous how high they set the prices but that Championship broke all the attendance records, so obviously there were people willing to pay. Normal people are content to watch it at home or in the pub.

Reactions: Back in Black

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Well, I cant claim to be normal, but I'd gladly watch these if they weren't during regular working hours..... :ha: That's what kills it in N.A.

Well, can't really blame then for playing to the audience that takes a greater interest. Heck, occassionally kids here will get to watch a game during school hours :cool:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ok back to hockey here fellas lol

Id like to see Chabot get more ice time hes being underutilized in my opinion and they could use a guy like him that can skate and make plays offensively a little more

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ok back to hockey here fellas lol

Id like to see Chabot get more ice time hes being underutilized in my opinion and they could use a guy like him that can skate and make plays offensively a little more
So would I ,but everytime we send our kids over there...They get the shaft

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Ceci last season played well then got bumped,it seems that no Oiler will ever get demoted...
IIRC in 2016 Ryan Ellis joined the team mid tournament and Ceci got bumped down. Ceci was definitely playing very well at the time but any same coach would want Ryan Ellis over Ceci. That team won the gold so it worked out. Stone was on that team as well and was given a big role even with the likes of Perry, Marchand, Hall, Duchene and Gallagher playing the wings on that team.

Pageau has had a big role here too.

I'd like to see Chabot given more ice time, especially over Nurse who has been terrible imo.

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
IIRC in 2016 Ryan Ellis joined the team mid tournament and Ceci got bumped down. Ceci was definitely playing very well at the time but any same coach would want Ryan Ellis over Ceci. That team won the gold so it worked out. Stone was on that team as well and was given a big role even with the likes of Perry, Marchand, Hall, Duchene and Gallagher playing the wings on that team.

Pageau has had a big role here too.

I'd like to see Chabot given more ice time, especially over Nurse who has been terrible imo.

I thought it was Trouba that bumped Ceci but my memory is a bit hazy. Either way, he would have been bumped by a good player, so maybe getting shafted is a bit strong.

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad