Confirmed with Link: Senators sign Anthony Duclair (1 year, $1.65 million)

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Good deal for both sides. Hopefully new coaching staff and the kick in the butt that Toretella gave him on the way out will wake this kid up. Love his skill, hoping for the best for him.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Good to see him back. I look forward to seeing how he performs this season

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
It’s a good deal for him to show he belongs. Good deadline deal guy as well if that becomes necessary

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Talent wise he's a 2nd line winger easily. Just needs to put it altogether. I really like his skill set and effort on the ice, I really wonder what his issue was. He doesn't seem to be a locker room cancer, maybe it was taking criticism from coaches?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Talent wise he's a 2nd line winger easily. Just needs to put it altogether. I really like his skill set and effort on the ice, I really wonder what his issue was. He doesn't seem to be a locker room cancer, maybe it was taking criticism from coaches?

He is legit awful away from the puck.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I assume less since the team is taking on a risk of an extra year. BTW this is pretty close to what I predicted and @danielpalfredsson did not find realistic:

Player Discussion - Anthony Duclair

We all get it wrong sometimes.

Were you saying he would get that from an arbitrator, and I was saying he might get more from an arbitrator? If so, the dynamic is different.

I don't remember our exact conversation, but I do know I posted about how I felt he was a risk to get a high arbitration ruling due to his resume. Even before he got hot when the trade was first made, I posted that as something that might be a hitch in us qualifying him. I still stand by that he was at risk to get more in arbitration. He has strong on paper numbers that aren't reflective of what the previous market for him was (going unqualified by CHI, signing a cheap six figure deal with CBJ).

It's possible this was a scenario where the Senators were unwilling to qualify him and risk arbitration and presented him with the prospect of negotiating a 1 year deal instead without being qualified.

Regardless, this is a good contract for both sides. It's probably more than Duclair would have gotten if he wasn't qualified and became a UFA, but the Senators also get some cost certainty and avoid the risks associated with arbitration. It's also a 1 year deal, meaning if he's not a long term fit he's probably able to be moved at the deadline as a rental if there's a market for him. On a 2 year deal, that would have been trickier. If the Senators really like the player, a 2 year deal might have been better.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada

To be honest I haven't watched too many games with him since the trade, I never watched him before out side of the World Jr's that one year. At least that's something that can be taught. I just wonder why he was given up on, he seems to be maturing as well which helps. Also being a french speaker, living in Ottawa has got to help. I really think he could out perform Dzingle going forward.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I assume less since the team is taking on a risk of an extra year. BTW this is pretty close to what I predicted and @danielpalfredsson did not find realistic:

Player Discussion - Anthony Duclair

Sorry, I didn't see you linked to the post. Here's my post here. I am always willing to admit when I am wrong. I have to do it a lot, but I don't see it here....

He'd get more than 1.5 on a 1 year deal going to arbitration.

Sens settled with Dzingel for 2 years @ 1.8M after 111 career games, 17 career goals, 41 career points. He was coming off of a 14 goal 32 point season.

Duclair has 283 career games played, he'll likely finish the season with 20 goals, and it'll be his second career 20 goal season.

If you don't think you'd pay him more than 1.5, that is what it is, but there's no universe where he signs for that little on a 2 year deal. If that is where the Sens stand, they won't qualify him, because he's almost certainly getting more than that through arbitration.

You suggested you'd pay him 1.5 on a two year contract.

I said he wouldn't sign that because he'd be likely to get more than 1.5 on a 1 year deal going to arbitration? Okay, the Sens must have felt that way because they signed him for more than that on a 1 year deal.

I expected he'd get 2M+ in arbitration. It wouldn't surprise me if this 1.65M contract was a result of the Senators trying to offer a fair 1 year deal but being unwilling to sign a qualifying offer, because a qualifying offer would open them up to the risks of arbitration.

That would be contrary to what Garrioch reported yesterday about Duclair being one of the players who WOULD be qualified, but the fact is to my knowledge he was never qualified prior to this deal, and we were getting very close to the qualifying deadline.

There's a good chance I wasn't right at all about what he'd have gotten in arbitration. Or that I am completely wrong about the dynamics of the situation. But I just don't see how this is a gotchya brag moment.

Reactions: bert

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'm happy for the Senators.

Although I strongly dislike most Canadian teams in the NHL (Winnipeg/Montreal = nothing personal; Calgary/Edmonton/Toronto = personal), I do have a soft spot for Ottawa. They've had a very rough for these past two years and so I'd like to see them get back on their feet. Feel terrible for the organisation and their fans.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I don't disagree, but he's a good piece to have this upcoming season. Our ability to score down the stretch was atrocious. Used in a certain way, he can be a net positive.

I wouldn't want to be the team to finally give this guy his big top 6 money/term but he's a good addition for this upcoming season and the Senators might be able to get a mid or late pick for him at the deadline if they feel he isn't a long term fit.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Sorry, I didn't see you linked to the post. Here's my post here. I am always willing to admit when I am wrong. I have to do it a lot, but I don't see it here....

You suggested you'd pay him 1.5 on a two year contract.

I said he wouldn't sign that because he'd be likely to get more than 1.5 on a 1 year deal going to arbitration? Okay, the Sens must have felt that way because they signed him for more than that on a 1 year deal.

I expected he'd get 2M+ in arbitration. It wouldn't surprise me if this 1.65M contract was a result of the Senators trying to offer a fair 1 year deal but being unwilling to sign a qualifying offer, because a qualifying offer would open them up to the risks of arbitration.

That would be contrary to what Garrioch reported yesterday about Duclair being one of the players who WOULD be qualified, but the fact is to my knowledge he was never qualified prior to this deal, and we were getting very close to the qualifying deadline.

There's a good chance I wasn't right at all about what he'd have gotten in arbitration. Or that I am completely wrong about the dynamics of the situation. But I just don't see how this is a gotchya brag moment.

I wasn't trying for a "gotchya" moment. You went about arbitration, which you might be right, although I kind of disagree. I was purely speaking from contract signing angle without going through arbitration. Just stating that I was correct on that angle, even though you disagreed. If he signed a 2 year deal, it would have been lower 1.65 as there is now a risk for the team to take on another year, and most likely the salary would have been lower. Most likely around the 1.5 mark which I stated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad