Confirmed with Link: Senators sign Anthony Duclair (1 year, $1.65 million)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
downriggerrods.jpg

tbt.gif

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Bump to give this guy props, his no reaction shoulder shrug on the 1st goal was ice cold. Loved it.

He’s scoring some of the nicest goals Sens fans have seen.

Reminds me of Havlat, more of a scorer then a passer and more generous with the puck then Havlat, but the speed and the dangles and the youthful prove the world wrong playing style - love it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Glad that he was resigned but I would have preferred a second year.
I think its going to look like a massive blunder to not give him a 2 year deal to see if he can sustain this for longer than a season before opening up the wallet.

Raw talent is certainly there, very exciting player to watch. Plays alot like Bure, I just wish we knew if he can play like this consistently.

Reactions: Simplicity

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think its going to look like a massive blunder to not give him a 2 year deal to see if he can sustain this for longer than a season before opening up the wallet.

Raw talent is certainly there, very exciting player to watch. Plays alot like Bure, I just wish we knew if he can play like this consistently.

I don't think he'd have been willing to do a 2 year deal tbh

Anyways, we'll have over 100 games to get a feel for his ability to be consistent. While not ideal, I think it should probably be enough and had we signed him to 2 years and were able to prove himself consistent, it would just inflate his leverage for his next deal.

Of all the things to be worried about with this team, how Duclair
is being handled is pretty low on the list for me.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
How long are you guys willing to go for the next contract?

I am saying 3 -4 years is max, that just brings us to the end of the unparalleled success and should have 2-3 cups by then.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The guys on the radio this morning (morning show) were all in agreement that the Sens should give Duclair only a 1 year deal again just to see if how he is playing is the real deal. Now to be fair, they were talking about a poll question where the options were only 1 year or 5 years, so obviously they back tracked to say that they would give a 3 year deal for example.

However I am of the mindset that the team would be taking a risk if they did not sign Duclair long term this year, as I firmly believe he is what he is, and that he is going to only improve from here on out. The longer they wait to sign him to a contract with more term, the more it will cost us when he finally has the stats to back up his negotiating.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The guys on the radio this morning (morning show) were all in agreement that the Sens should give Duclair only a 1 year deal again just to see if how he is playing is the real deal. Now to be fair, they were talking about a poll question where the options were only 1 year or 5 years, so obviously they back tracked to say that they would give a 3 year deal for example.

However I am of the mindset that the team would be taking a risk if they did not sign Duclair long term this year, as I firmly believe he is what he is, and that he is going to only improve from here on out. The longer they wait to sign him to a contract with more term, the more it will cost us when he finally has the stats to back up his negotiating.
If all we'll offer is a year, he'll go to arbitration to become a UFA in a year.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I guarantee that if we had signed him for two years, people around here would have been griping at the time that it was one year too many, given his track record.

We can predict that given almost any situation, people around here will find something to gripe about. 2 years would have brought him to UFA , which is one of Dorion's specialties but ... he showed something last year and IMO it was the right call to sign him for 1 to see how he fit and what he would bring. I'd like to sign him. I also liked the idea of him on the PK. He hasn't been getting much of that lately. I think it can help his defensive game going forward. Let's see how he does over the next 20 games. His skills stand out in a good way on this team largely devoid of it. If he keeps it up , I would imagine there will be a fair amount of interest in him around the league as well.

Reactions: NyQuil

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Need to think a little differently on this one. I go by what my kids think as they are the next generation of fans (13, 15, 17). They love Duclair. They think he's exciting. That's what sells tickets to people. If you constantly move folks out, it's hard to connect. Duclair has an intriguing backstory and seems like he has turned his career around. I'd go at least 3 years on a deal. Not much risk in that. My thinking is something like $10M/3yr. That makes sense to me. Duclair's camp may want a lot more though, but given his track record, I think that's a fair deal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Still a bit early to think about a new contract with him. But if Duclair continues with this pace and standard of play until the end of the season, I'd be ok with a moderately priced 2 or 3 year deal.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Duclair will never have point totals that make you think he is a 1st liner because he's not really a playmaker, he's more of a goal scorer and a "carry the play forward" guy. He has 65 goals and 70 assists in the NHL, which is close to 50/50. Actually, he's a bit similar to Dzingel in many ways. RD has 70 goals and 82 assists in his career. They both have great wheels but Duclair has more high end skill and better hands. I think they both have a deceptive shot even though they're not "shooters"

This is one of the best Dorion trades so far. UFA Dzingel for Duclair and two 2nds? wow, Duclair and Dzingel are at least on the same level but Duclair is almost 3 years younger.

Anthony is finally emerging as a top-6 forward (after it looked like he would be one in his rookie season), he's now 24 y/o and realized that he had to work his butt off and that just talent alone wouldn't do it. He has to make his "life money" in the next few years so he will be looking for a long term deal but he could afford another "prove it" 1 year contract to make more money in the end. It wouldn't be very smart from the Sens because if he breaks out even more, he would be then very costly. I'm thinking you go 5 years at around 4.5 M$. It's a bit of a risk but it's the leverage the Sens have left. If he scores let's say 52 pts this season and 58 next year, then he's going to cost over 6-7 M$ per season. 5 years would take him to 30 y/o, so pretty much all his prime. It depends, is he finally playing the way a hockey team can win? Are you identifying him as a core player? If he does, then you go 5 years IMO.

If Duclair is a core player, the team is really set on LW and it looks pretty good too.

Tkachuk
Duclair
Formenton
Paul

I hope we don't get Lafrenière because there would be no spot for him

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Duclair will never have point totals that make you think he is a 1st liner because he's not really a playmaker, he's more of a goal scorer and a "carry the play forward" guy. He has 65 goals and 70 assists in the NHL, which is close to 50/50. Actually, he's a bit similar to Dzingel in many ways. RD has 70 goals and 82 assists in his career. They both have great wheels but Duclair has more high end skill and better hands. I think they both have a deceptive shot even though they're not "shooters"

This is one of the best Dorion trades so far. UFA Dzingel for Duclair and two 2nds? wow, Duclair and Dzingel are at least on the same level but Duclair is almost 3 years younger.

Anthony is finally emerging as a top-6 forward (after it looked like he would be one in his rookie season), he's now 24 y/o and realized that he had to work his butt off and that just talent alone wouldn't do it. He has to make his "life money" in the next few years so he will be looking for a long term deal but he could afford another "prove it" 1 year contract to make more money in the end. It wouldn't be very smart from the Sens because if he breaks out even more, he would be then very costly. I'm thinking you go 5 years at around 4.5 M$. It's a bit of a risk but it's the leverage the Sens have left. If he scores let's say 52 pts this season and 58 next year, then he's going to cost over 6-7 M$ per season. 5 years would take him to 30 y/o, so pretty much all his prime. It depends, is he finally playing the way a hockey team can win? Are you identifying him as a core player? If he does, then you go 5 years IMO.

If Duclair is a core player, the team is really set on LW and it looks pretty good too.

Tkachuk
Duclair
Formenton
Paul

I hope we don't get Lafrenière because there would be no spot for him

Umm, ok :laugh:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He looks so comfortable here, I think that Bodes well for future contract talks. The guy just looks at peace here

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I think this next contract has the potential to be expensive now. He's damn good.

More expensive than it would've been in the summer, but there's still not enough of a track record to demand big money. I would love to see 3 x 3.5-4.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa

Bure was a breakaway artist, who was patrolling the boards and center-line area for quick takeaways. Speed just a nickle better then Duclair's. But that's were comparisons would stop. Bure had a booming one-timer, slap shot and wrist shot. Arsenal of decking skills to fool goalies and players. I still remember Felix Potvin would scream in French, forgetting English...........attention, attention Bure!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad