GDT: Senators @ Red Wings | Nov. 24 | 7:30PM EST | TSN5, RDS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
You think hes better then Prince, Puempel and Pageau? He shouldnt be playing over them is my problem. The clock is ticking on guys like Pageau and Prince and what have they let to prove in the ahl? We have the option to wait a little longer to develop a 19 year old. No point in giving him a spot over guys who have proven more and paid their dues

Yes, yes I do. He is better, and has shown it through a quarter of a season.

Pageau has had his chance, even in the Playoffs, and his times up. He's done. Price I'm not to sure on, he looked good in Pre-Season but he's not what we need, a one-dimensional scorer.

Lazar is a good Two-Way player and that's what we need, people to keep the puck out of the net. He's our best option at Center behind Turris and Zibanejad.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Pageau has had his chance, even in the Playoffs, and his times up. He's done. Price I'm not to sure on, he looked good in Pre-Season but he's not what we need, a one-dimensional scorer.

Lazar is a good Two-Way player and that's what we need, people to keep the puck out of the net. He's our best option at Center behind Turris and Zibanejad.

Lazar is a good two way player? Two way play doesnt mean much when your not producing and youre getting soft minutes. Like i said though i dont think hes been terrible but theres players who are more proven and most certainly better players at this point in there career. I'd wager if Lazar was in the ahl he'd certainly be behind them on the depth chart.

I just dont understand why people are so eager to rush a 19 year old kid who hasnt paid any dues and hasnt even been developed by this organization outside of a few camps. The way i see it is if the objective is to win now you give the older more developed players who have proven more a spot ahead of him. If the objective is to develop players then give the opportunity to the players who have gone through the system and done their jobs who we risk losing sooner then lazar.

I find it funny you have hoffman in your avatar since your so willing to say Pageau is done but hoffman only had 6 points in 25 games as a 24 year old. Probably should have given up on him after last year

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Its to bad that we have an owner who can't/won't spend to make his team better. We had the cap space this summer to really improve this team but Melnyk decided to do nothing.

We have the lowest payroll in the league, but we are 18th in pts which is not bad. We need to accept that this team isn't very good and until Melnyk decide to spend some money to signed some quality FA this team will remain in the bottom of the league.

I know that having a high payroll doesn't guarantee success but it improves it, it gives us a chance to compete with the big boys.

Ottawa deserve better than that, its embarrassing having the lowest payroll in the league, we are in Canada right? all Canadian franchises should be in the top 15 in payroll imo, something needs to change for this franchise to move forward.....maybe a new owner who is willing to do anything to bring a championship to Ottawa.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Neil did absolutely everything he could to get benched today. It didn't work. I don't care that he scored. That doesn't make a player good.

I'm surprised the Neil goal hasn't gotten more comments. He tipped a shot heading for an empty net. In other words, he actually reduced the chances of the puck going in.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Its to bad that we have an owner who can't/won't spend to make his team better. We had the cap space this summer to really improve this team but Melnyk decided to do nothing.

We have the lowest payroll in the league, but we are 18th in pts which is not bad. We need to accept that this team isn't very good and until Melnyk decide to spend some money to signed some quality FA this team will remain in the bottom of the league.

I know that having a high payroll doesn't guarantee success but it improves it, it gives us a chance to compete with the big boys.

Ottawa deserve better than that, its embarrassing having the lowest payroll in the league, we are in Canada right? all Canadian franchises should be in the top 15 in payroll imo, something needs to change for this franchise to move forward.....maybe a new owner who is willing to do anything to bring a championship to Ottawa.

Yeah, higher payroll doesn't guarantee anything for sure, but I'd be interested to see how many teams who had the league's lowest payrolls made it into the playoffs, much less making it past one single round.

It's ridiculous to expect anything but meddling results when you try to go cheap on a pro sports team. No need to go Toronto's route, we'd probably be fine with a #2 or 3 dman and a real top-6 forward. And with that, we could do without the likes of Legwand or Michalek so we might end up only adding $4-5 million to the payroll. I know it's not as easy as writing it down, but I'm sure if Melnyk had told Murray the money was available, Bryan would have managed something better this summer.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

honestly, I think a one dimensional scorer is exactly what this team needs, not saying that that is what prince is. but still.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

what do you think we should have done with out money this past summer?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm surprised the Neil goal hasn't gotten more comments. He tipped a shot heading for an empty net. In other words, he actually reduced the chances of the puck going in.

hes such an a****** too see after the goal he looks right at the ref as to say " I tipped it I tipped it!!!!!!!" shut up and go congratulate your team mates that did all the work, and go kiss your coaches feet for keeping you relevant.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Everybody says this every year.

Still biggest problem we have

no man youll see... we are going to trade spezza this year and THEN our defense will be generationally elite.

Its going to be a 1A squared elite defence.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You do realize that tanking does NOT mean the Sens will have any success in the future because of it?

:facepalm:

Bottom 2 teams is going to be the Oilers and The Sabres. The Sens are not going to be as bad as those two teams in my opinion.

not this year though,, but I think the sabres will be better than the sens in a few years time. because of players like mcdavid/eichel. Reinhardt. and ristolainen.. not an early pick.. but I luv risto

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lazar is a good two way player? Two way play doesnt mean much when your not producing and youre getting soft minutes. Like i said though i dont think hes been terrible but theres players who are more proven and most certainly better players at this point in there career. I'd wager if Lazar was in the ahl he'd certainly be behind them on the depth chart.

I just dont understand why people are so eager to rush a 19 year old kid who hasnt paid any dues and hasnt even been developed by this organization outside of a few camps. The way i see it is if the objective is to win now you give the older more developed players who have proven more a spot ahead of him. If the objective is to develop players then give the opportunity to the players who have gone through the system and done their jobs who we risk losing sooner then lazar.

I find it funny you have hoffman in your avatar since your so willing to say Pageau is done but hoffman only had 6 points in 25 games as a 24 year old. Probably should have given up on him after last year

Agreed.

Best bet was to have him absolutely dominate junior offensively this year, and then bring that extra confidence with him to the NHL next season.

As it stands right now, I don't think Lazar is going to develop that offensive game in the NHL. He's going to be a valuable player for us on the defensive side of things, but I don't see him doing anything offensively.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
About what i expected so far for a really young cheap team.....lots of time to grow with this group, baby steps. Only complaint i have from last night besides the general sleepiness was with Neil getting out there late in the game.....however he scored so what do i know lol. Hope the fellas bring a better effort v STL.

After losses this year i like to go watch highlights of McDavid and Eichel etc... one can dream!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Effort was the problem. We got outworked all game. No goalie to bail us out this game.

Legwand was making some Spezza-like efforts.

Wiercioch could be good if he wasn't slow. The skills there.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Effort was the problem. We got outworked all game. No goalie to bail us out this game.

Legwand was making some Spezza-like efforts.

Wiercioch could be good if he wasn't slow. The skills there.

But......was it really a lack of effort?

Or was it that every freaking time we touched a Wing they either took a dive or got a chintzy call?

What the heck are you supposed to do out there when the ice is tilted like that?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It's tough enough to win games when the team is having an off night (both in effort and in execution), but man that reffing was terrible. At first, their awful calls seemed to be going both ways, but by the end it was just a one sided crapfest. Admittedly, we probably got the calls against because we were getting outworked, and had we actually been pushing the play a bit more would have received our own share of bad calls, but man it gets the blood boiling seeing inept officiating and no push back from the team at the same time. One or the other is fine but it's hard to handle both.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
It's tough enough to win games when the team is having an off night (both in effort and in execution), but man that reffing was terrible. At first, their awful calls seemed to be going both ways, but by the end it was just a one sided crapfest. Admittedly, we probably got the calls against because we were getting outworked, and had we actually been pushing the play a bit more would have received our own share of bad calls, but man it gets the blood boiling seeing inept officiating and no push back from the team at the same time. One or the other is fine but it's hard to handle both.

There was certainly a lot of stick work that went uncalled but i found it hard to argue against the penalties we took last night from a refs perspective. The Andy and Boro ones stand out to me as just poor poor decisions. I imagine we did some chirping at that point in which the whistles went away for us.

All that said it seems this team really doesn't get calls at home or on the road and this has gone on for years....perhaps near a decade now? so i pretty much expect as much these days.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There was certainly a lot of stick work that went uncalled but i found it hard to argue against the penalties we took last night from a refs perspective. The Andy and Boro ones stand out to me as just poor poor decisions. I imagine we did some chirping at that point in which the whistles went away for us.

All that said it seems this team really doesn't get calls at home or on the road and this has gone on for years....perhaps near a decade now? so i pretty much expect as much these days.

And that's the whole point.

I know these guys are pros, and are getting paid an ungodly sum of money to play a game and all that. But, at the end of the day, they are human.

How would any of us feel if we knew the refs would always be looking closer at us and harsher on us than our opponent? Can anyone here really say they'd be able to go out and play at 100% intensity and drive every night knowing every game will be an uphill battle with both opponents and refs?

It's got to wear the guys down mentally.

WhiteLight*

I'm not talking about how he's played, I'm talking about what he's supposed to bring. Because, you know, before he plays we can't know.

All I'm saying is , what Legwand is suposed to bring to this team, is what we need and not what Mason Raymond brings. I don't see many players on this summers UFA list other than Legwand and Iginla who bring leadership and good 2 way game( again based on play from previous seasons)

It's easy to judge the signings after they happen but what do we know we could sign Paul Stastny and he could have 0 points in 82 games.

At Legwand 's age, a regression wasn't unexpected. Plus he gave everything he had to Nashville... and possibly hometown Detroit and it crashed and burned for him. You think he really cares about Ottawa? No, and it shows. His heart is still in mid-west USA

This team needed a LW more than a centre. Which is what Raymond is.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'll never understand why a team would waste 7 million on two mediocre players instead of spending that same amount on a better player.

unless that better player is not available, then I don't get it either.

WhiteLight*

I'll never understand why a team would waste 7 million on two mediocre players instead of spending that same amount on a better player.

Or less on a better player. Hello Da Costa

Boud, you wanted a #2-3 centre. Da Costa's your man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad