GDT: Senators @ Red Wings | Nov. 24 | 7:30PM EST | TSN5, RDS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBush*

I agree that just because a team can spend to the cap it does not equal success. Saying that I believe Murray would and still could of made some moves if he had the ability that would make this a better team. Imagine if we were able to sign someone like Stralman, our d would be instantly better. Also Vrbata signed in Vancouver so why not here.

Vrbata wanted to play with the Sedins on the top line, not with Zib and Michalek. Stralman wanted to play on an up and coming team in Tampa.
I just don't think we should assume players were not signed because of a budget. It looked like Michalek and Legwand were our second options

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The sad part is Murray made us mediocre. We could have gone for Tavares one year and Landeskog the other year. Even ONE of those two players would have been amazing. Instead Murray juggled veteran security/friendships and patched and now we're a perpetual bubble team. I really, really hope that Dorion or whomever the new GM is takes a hard look at this team's composition and cuts where it hurts.

Our D is not NHL calibre. We have a broken Karlsson (he is not 2012 Norris form anymore), Methot and Ceci as viable D. Boro, Gryba, Cowen are all too slow/immobile to keep up with today's NHL.
IDeally, Neil is gone. Legwand is gone. Lazar is in junior.

What a mess. We have decent pieces but they mean nothing without an overhaul of our defence.

To be fair since Cowen has stepped up, our defense (with Methot) is good. Karlsson-Methot, Cowen-Ceci, Gryba-Boro. We all know what Methot can bring to Karlsson and the Cowen and Ceci pairing has been playing good hockey. Gryba is a stable player having quiet but solid games and Borowiecki has been quite impressive. I think we can agree that Phillips is playing good too. No, of course we are not talking about Nashvilles defense but we are not as bad as people may think, in fact we are above average. Keep in mind that our defense is really young. Karlsson,Cowen,Borowiecki,Gryba,Ceci and Wiercioch are all young guys. They're gaining experience and it's all looking to be heading in the right direction. In a couple of years I think we're gonna have one of the best defense in the league

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
but hes big and fast and has a sweet name,
plus unknown player > Niel on these boards

Obviously small sample size, preseason is useless, etc, etc but Robinson looked much, much better in both this year's and last year's training camp and preseason than Neil has in 90% of his games over the past year or two.

WhiteLight*

wow I just remembered the 1st round pick for Comrie and Campoli :facepalm:

dark times. Awful stuff

WhiteLight*

Vrbata wanted to play with the Sedins on the top line, not with Zib and Michalek. Stralman wanted to play on an up and coming team in Tampa.
I just don't think we should assume players were not signed because of a budget. It looked like Michalek and Legwand were our second options

mason raymond would not have signed here for Michalek money?
Many better UFAs than Legwand and Michalek

BigBush*

Obviously small sample size, preseason is useless, etc, etc but Robinson looked much, much better in both this year's and last year's training camp and preseason than Neil has in 90% of his games over the past year or two.

Ya I really hope he continues to improve and replaces Niel after next season and is a really good third liner

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Nobody knew Legwand would regress like he has, If you look when he signed, everyone thought we got a steal...

Its really too bad.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

We're talking about different players. Legwand is a known leader, plays a good 2 way game and brings some much needed stability to this lineup as he can on the PK too. We needed a guy like legwand more than a player like Raymond.

For Michalek, I honestly thought he would've played better. He's not the same player anymore

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
To be fair since Cowen has stepped up, our defense (with Methot) is good. Karlsson-Methot, Cowen-Ceci, Gryba-Boro. We all know what Methot can bring to Karlsson and the Cowen and Ceci pairing has been playing good hockey. Gryba is a stable player having quiet but solid games and Borowiecki has been quite impressive. I think we can agree that Phillips is playing good too. No, of course we are not talking about Nashvilles defense but we are not as bad as people may think, in fact we are above average. Keep in mind that our defense is really young. Karlsson,Cowen,Borowiecki,Gryba,Ceci and Wiercioch are all young guys. They're gaining experience and it's all looking to be heading in the right direction. In a couple of years I think we're gonna have one of the best defense in the league

Everybody says this every year.

Still biggest problem we have

BigBush*

We would still be having the same issues with this team if Raymond was on it instead of Michalek
Edit: again, those better UFA's need to want to play in Ottawa

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Mhm. Taaaaannkkkkk. Step into my web We tank. One bad year and then success forever more.

You do realize that tanking does NOT mean the Sens will have any success in the future because of it?

:facepalm:

Bottom 2 teams is going to be the Oilers and The Sabres. The Sens are not going to be as bad as those two teams in my opinion.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Everybody says this every year.

Still biggest problem we have

Don't you agree that the only difference from last year on this team is 1. Anderson/Lehner 2. We getting overall better defensive game ( other than Karlsson who is horrible 9 time on 10)

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I love the Joe Louis, went to the 6-1 blow out last year when Spezza and Ryan had 2 each. Was feeling pretty good by the end of it I'm sure I pissed off a number of Red Wings fans with the amount of times I jumped out of my seat for each goal, as well as heckling Alfy for picking the wrong team to go to.

I was at that game too I was hoping for a repeat performance. I don't get to see Ottawa live a ton so I make sure to go any chance I get.

WhiteLight*

We're talking about different players. Legwand is a known leader, plays a good 2 way game and brings some much needed stability to this lineup as he can on the PK too. We needed a guy like legwand more than a player like Raymond.

For Michalek, I honestly thought he would've played better. He's not the same player anymore

Haven't seen any of this from Legwand really. He's been one of the worst forwards a lot of nights.
Plus, this team didn't need a centre. Smith and Pageau can be the 4th line centre, no need to spend $3M on it

BigBush*

You do realize that tanking does NOT mean the Sens will have any success in the future because of it?

:facepalm:

Nope, and as someone who lives in Alberta, you have no idea how much the people have hated on their teams the last few years.
Calgary is starting to come around due to their quick start, but Oiler fans would gladly be in Ottawas spot. Imagine the season being over in the first few weeks. At least in Ottawa the team competes and we often make the playoffs

BigBush*

Haven't seen any of this from Legwand really. He's been one of the worst forwards a lot of nights.
Plus, this team didn't need a centre. Smith and Pageau can be the 4th line centre, no need to spend $3M on it

This team desperately needs a scoring centre to help take the pressure off Zib. Legwand was suppose to be that guy

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I'm not talking about how he's played, I'm talking about what he's supposed to bring. Because, you know, before he plays we can't know.

All I'm saying is , what Legwand is suposed to bring to this team, is what we need and not what Mason Raymond brings. I don't see many players on this summers UFA list other than Legwand and Iginla who bring leadership and good 2 way game( again based on play from previous seasons)

It's easy to judge the signings after they happen but what do we know we could sign Paul Stastny and he could have 0 points in 82 games.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
This team desperately needs a scoring centre to help take the pressure off Zib. Legwand was suppose to be that guy

Yeah, but maybe the management should have seen the signs last year where he slowly but surely dropped down to the 4th line in DET. Then was a FA for a while without teams biting. Some red flags there. He's been really underwhelming.

As I stated before, he's a 3rd line C at best right. But I've been told we didn't sign a 3M player to be our fourth liner. I'd rather see JGP up than Legwand to be honest.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

You throw enough $$$ at a player and his motivations change. We should have overpaid for top 4 D instead of signing Michalek and/or Legwand.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You throw enough $$$ at a player and his motivations change. We should have overpaid for top 4 D instead of signing Michalek and/or Legwand.

Yea because Brooks Orpik at 5,5 for 5 years is better. And again its easy to judge after seeing the players performances. Look at Nikitin in Edmonton he's horrible

BigBush*

Cool like who? Or is this the usual hf talk saying we should of signed a "top 4 D" instead of naming who.
They seemed to go pretty quick and weren't worth the term/and $ from what I remember

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Cool like who? Or is this the usual hf talk saying we should of signed a "top 4 D" instead of naming who.
They seemed to go pretty quick and weren't worth the term/and $ from what I remember

I already posted this before that I would have overpaid for Stralman or Niskanen.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Our Defence is just so up in the air right now.

Sure in the future they COULD be really really good.

Imagine if Karlsson returns to Norris form, Methot gets back to this lockout season level, Cowen becomes Chara/Pronger 3.0, Ceci turns into Duncan Keith....

we'd have the best top 4 in the whole league!!

Then we get into this mental masturbation thinking about how amazing things are going to be in future, this elusive time period that always seems to be just out of reach.

Our team is what it is. We're going to win games by working our ***** off and getting a little bit of luck.

People keep thinking there is going to be some huge trades or something. Not going to happen. I repeat, not going to happen. Get used to this team.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I don't understand how people can want to try things that haven't worked in the past.

9, 93, 90, was iced, they were a flop, and hopefully will not be put back ever again. Who is the playmaker on that line? No One. 3 guys who bang and crash and chase the puck around but don't set eachother up. Yeah I know, someone is going to mention Michalek setting up Cowen for that sweet goal against the Preds. that was 1 time, in 20 games. Those 3 were a complete bust.

Chiasson has always been a pass first guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad