Confirmed with Link: Senators re-sign goaltender Anders Nilsson to a two-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hope this does not mean we are giving up on Hogberg
Hogberg carried the Belleville Sens for like the last 30 games, he barely even got a break. Seems like this could be more of a situation of Hogberg giving up on the Sens and not the other way around, however, with PD at the helm, anything is possible. Maybe his tablet stopped working and he couldn't watch BSens games anymore.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Any chance Andy is retiring?
No why would he??Yes he had a bad year statistically ,but he had lots of help with that....I could see him being rejuvenated playing on a better team,and we could gain another asset for him

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I can see Daccord playing some or all of next year in the ECHL.

Pretty much all of our drafted goalies have spent some time in that league in their 1st pro season.

Exactly. I like Daccord, but I don't see why he would be the exception.

I mean, if Anderson is traded/bought out there's obviously a path to this kid getting 30+ games in the AHL but I don't think anyone should be up in arms if he has to start the year in Brampton and work his way into AHL minutes.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Good term and price per. I wonder if Hogberg goes back to Sweden, or if we trade Andy. Moving Hog doesn’t make much sense.

Reactions: NB613

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I’m not sold he is the best goalie prospect. Closest to being ready? Sure. Best? Probably not.

As of right now he's proven he's the best. Can that change? Sure, goalies are volatile. But Hogberg has shown great improvement and the ability to carry a team.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I don't think Hogberg would get claimed. That is a pretty risky move by the team that would claim him.

I think Hogberg plays the full year in Belleville this upcoming year and then anything goes the year after. I'm not exaclt sure what we are going to do then. As I'm not really sure we have anyone that will be ready for the number 1 job in 2020.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This signing implies to me that Anderson could be traded at the deadline, if not sooner (draft) & then they can recall Hogberg to finish the yr with Nilsson after the deadline.

Reactions: Cosmix

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Why are we paying out over 6 million is goaltending lmfao.

Still less than many teams are paying for a single starter.

So Andy/Nilsson in the NHL
Condon assumably still IR
Hogberg/Gustavsson in Belleville
Daccord in the ECHL

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

As of right now he's proven he's the best. Can that change? Sure, goalies are volatile. But Hogberg has shown great improvement and the ability to carry a team.
I agree with you whole statement, but especially the last. Ever since Hogberg got the call up to Ottawa, he really elevated his game and pushed Gus to backup in Belleville. Hardly saw Gus start a game after because Hogberg continued to play so well. Hopefully for Hogberg, the plan is to start him in Belleville and start grooming him into the NHL backup slot, provided he continues to play like he did this past season.

Reactions: Daffy

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think Hogberg would get claimed. That is a pretty risky move by the team that would claim him.

I think Hogberg plays the full year in Belleville this upcoming year and then anything goes the year after. I'm not exaclt sure what we are going to do then. As I'm not really sure we have anyone that will be ready for the number 1 job in 2020.

It's not that risky.

If you don't like your backup, claim Hogberg, test drive him for a month, waive him again.

It's basically a team trading their current backup for Hogberg because they would have to risk waiving their backup to make room (or carry 3 goalies which is difficult).

It's not a guarantee he'd be claimed, but I think there's a reasonable chance. Goalies are difficult to find.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Dorion himself was saying late last year how impressed he was with Hogberg and that he was making them rethink their goalie depth chart, or something to that effect.

I'd be surprised if they're casting him aside so quickly after not giving him much of a chance, especially just to keep a stop gap goalie like Nilsson.

Hopefully this means we never see Condon in a Sens jersey again and that Anderson is also moved at least mid year. Time to turn the page on the goaltending scene and start fresh even for the tank years imo.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

McKenna was claimed multiple times last year. We might be able to sneak him through early in the year while everyone is (relatively) healthy, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see someone give him a shot (especially if we waive him 1+ month into the season).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Great signing. We can trade him, trade Andy, trade one of our young goalies - excellent asset management. We needed goalie depth.

Condon is 5-19-5 in the last 2 years, there is no controversy, he hasn’t earned an NHL job

Problem sill remains we dont have a #1 goalie prospect in the system, there are prospects we want to be #1 - but there is no true NHL starter in the system and that needs to be addressed

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Great signing. We can trade him, trade Andy, trade one of our young goalies - excellent asset management. We needed goalie depth.

Condon is 5-19-5 in the last 2 years, there is no controversy, he hasn’t earned an NHL job

Problem sill remains we dont have a #1 goalie prospect in the system, there are prospects we want to be #1 - but there is no true NHL starter in the system and that needs to be addressed

If Gustavsson isn't a "future NHL starter" I'm not sure who could be considered one. The guy is arguably a top 5/10 goalie prospect in the entire league. Obviously goalies are voodoo, so no one knows what's going to happen with them long-term, but the guy has as much pedigree as 99% of the other high end goalie prospects in the game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I could see Condon being bought out before the yr begins & Anderson moved either at the draft or leading up to the trade deadline. If Condon is bought out before the yr starts Gus will likely replace him in Belleville & if or when Anderson is traded Hogberg should be called up to replace him as the backup.

Ottawa - Anderson - Nilsson
Belleville - Condon - Hogberg
Brampton - Gustavsson - Daccord

If this kind of scenario plays out this yr than I would hope that the Sens target Yaroslav Askorov G in the 2020 draft for more goalie depth with a goalie prospect who has future #1 potential.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad