Confirmed with Link: Senators re-sign goaltender Anders Nilsson to a two-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Actually this maybe a logical option. Moving Anderson with rentention + Condon in the minors as a vet call up option is not bad at all.

I can't see anybody wanting to trade for Condon even at 50% with so many goalies available in the off season. I also can't see Melnyk buying him out AND retain on Andy.

Looks like buying the cheaper option out is what Dorion's looking to do. Hoping Andy can still be traded with retention.

Sens Asst. GM Bruce Garrioch- said:
Mike Condon's days with the Senators are numbered after Nilsson signing
Suddenly, the Ottawa Senators have to do something about their crowded crease.With backup Anders Nilsson agreeing to a two-year extension Wednesday, it would appear the club will likely either try to deal backup Mike Condon or buy him out of the final year of his contract.
Mike Condon’s days with the Senators are numbered after Nilsson signing

Reactions: DJB

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Looks like buying the cheaper option out is what Dorion's looking to do. Hoping Andy can still be traded with retention.

Other interesting paragraph:

"Top prospect Filip Gustavsson is under contract for next season and the Senators are trying to sign restricted free agent Marcus Hogberg, who did a great job down the stretch. Joey Daccord signed out of Arizona State University and he’s expected to battle for a job in Belleville with Gustavsson and Hogberg if Hogberg doesn’t go back to Europe."

I'm wary whenever Bruce says "trying to sign". Also the when he says "if Hogberg doesn't go back to Europe" he's making it sound like it's out of Pierre's hands. If I were a betting man, I'd say Hog goes back to Europe

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRig4

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I suspect that both Andy and Condon are being shopped, If they can move Andy then it will be Nilsson and Condon in Ottawa. If they can’t move Andy, then Condon gets bought out. IMO, the market for Andy is weak, so he stays and Condon gets bought out.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I suspect that both Andy and Condon are being shopped, If they can move Andy then it will be Nilsson and Condon in Ottawa. If they can’t move Andy, then Condon gets bought out. IMO, the market for Andy is weak, so he stays and Condon gets bought out.

I don't think Condon is in the Ottawa Senators plans at all. I suspect he will be traded if possible (but not likely as I cannot see any team wanting him now) , bought out, or play in Belleville.
Anderson will probably play as Number 1 in Ottawa and be dealt at the TDL to a team needing a backup goaltender due to injuries for the playoffs. Anderson has little to no future value at his age.

Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think Condon is in the Ottawa Senators plans at all. I suspect he will be traded if possible (but not likely as I cannot see any team wanting him now) , bought out, or play in Belleville.
Anderson will probably play as Number 1 in Ottawa and be dealt at the TDL to a team needing a backup goaltender due to injuries for the playoffs. Anderson has little to no future value at his age.

I think they try to trade him or buy him out. I think they'll get Hogberg to sign with the expectation that there is max 1 year left for him to get a chance in the NHL. I am a bit surprised Dorion signed Nilsson but he seems to like signing goalies . All part of his contend for a playoff spot plan...He maybe should have had that idea a little earlier last year when he had more horses. He must have went with his gut.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
$11.25 to Condon and Hammond, wow :facepalm:

I’m normally against the signing of miracle back up goalies but I feel a lot more confident about Nilsson than those two, we’ll see how it pans out.

We just need to get rid of Condon and, hopefully, Craig too.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Other interesting paragraph:

"Top prospect Filip Gustavsson is under contract for next season and the Senators are trying to sign restricted free agent Marcus Hogberg, who did a great job down the stretch. Joey Daccord signed out of Arizona State University and he’s expected to battle for a job in Belleville with Gustavsson and Hogberg if Hogberg doesn’t go back to Europe."

I'm wary whenever Bruce says "trying to sign". Also the when he says "if Hogberg doesn't go back to Europe" he's making it sound like it's out of Pierre's hands. If I were a betting man, I'd say Hog goes back to Europe
Oh yeah he gone. Lol another incredibly stupid move by this bunch of morons.

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
Anders Nilsson is a good goalie. Excellent job of management.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
San Jose.

Even if EK walks they'll still be on the hook for extensions to Meier, Donskoi, Pavelski, Thornton(?) and Nyqvist(?) and Doug Wilson is always aggressive to add top end talent (so might be a player for Panarin as well).

They'd have to find a taker for Aaron Dell (or the Sens would have to take him back in a deal) but Anderson behind Jones would make me feel a lot better as a Sharks fan than the current setup.
Why would they do that? That's just adding salary in Anderson when they have a better goalie in Jones. That's a total waste.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I’m guessing that Condon won’t be ready to go for training camp, and even if he was, I think Nilsson is a fine stopgap until one of Hogberg, Gustafsson, Daccord are ready to go.

Anderson gets flipped to a team that loses their #1 part way through the season, or at the deadline to upgrade a #2 for playoffs.

Reactions: NB613 and Icelevel

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
It's not that risky.

If you don't like your backup, claim Hogberg, test drive him for a month, waive him again.

It's basically a team trading their current backup for Hogberg because they would have to risk waiving their backup to make room (or carry 3 goalies which is difficult).

It's not a guarantee he'd be claimed, but I think there's a reasonable chance. Goalies are difficult to find.
Hogberg doesn’t require waivers this coming season. He is exempt for 1 more.

Marcus Högberg Waivers Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It probably comes down to him getting a one way or not.

I'd be shocked if the Sens give him a 1 way this year, but I could see something like the McCormick special. 2 year deal with a 2 way this year, 1 way next year.

Sets the Sens up to roll with Anderson/Nilsson until the deadline, bring Hogberg up, and then the second NHL job would be Hogberg's to lose in 2021 if there is a season.

The only major issue I can see with that setup is that Hogberg and Gustavsson will have to split starts in the AHL.

Reactions: DJB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->