Confirmed with Link: Senators re-sign goaltender Anders Nilsson to a two-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Two months ago he came back to practice with Belleville and explained the procedures he went through

https://www.tsn.ca/condon-determined-to-return-to-the-nhl-with-sens-1.1285715

Yeah, this is the article I remember reading. States he'll try to be back by the regular season.

Now whether or not that means he's healthy enough to be bought out this summer (either window) is up in the air, but that's a guy that sounds like he'll be "ready" (whatever that means) to go next season.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Good signing. Hope Anderson gets a chance to compete for the playoffs elsewhere, while Condon is bought out to usher in Hogberg as Nilsson's back up.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I could see this making sense if Anderson was moving, but he seems like an untradeable player given his age, salary and performance.

Hope this does not mean we are giving up on Hogberg. Maybe we're cool leaving Daccord in the ECHL? I dunno, this seems odd if we're keeping Anderson.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Maybe Anderson + PIT 3rd 2019 + CBJ 2nd 2021 for Neal + Anderssen?

i would make it simpler

anderson for neal+a good addon/spec

neal has the potential to be a huge bounce back candidate and would be guaranteed a lot of minutes in ottawa. Calgary doesnt have the luxury of seeing if he could bounce back and they would actually save on some cap space to use elsewhere

if we could grab calgarys first that would be nice

Reactions: Riceroni

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Either the team is not confident in Hogberg translating to the NHL, or Anderson is getting traded or bought out.

Condon is gone anyways. He doesn't factor in. He will be bought out, or dealt for a contact with a lower salary/high cap hit.

Garrioch reported the Sens wouldn't go 3 years with Nilsson. So if that was accurate, I guess he came down to 2.

I cooled down on Nilsson a bit, but I don't mind this signing. We don't have many players to pay, and it is short term. Low risk, medium reward type contract.

I think the more likely scenario is that there is internal pressure for the Sens to "contend" for a playoff spot next year, so they want to go with the more established pairing of Anderson/Nilson rather than gambling on developing Hogberg when his ceiling might not be as high as the other two goalies we already have in the pipeline.

I think doing anything with the idea of pushing to contend for the playoffs next year would be a mistake since we're so far off.

Still, in a bubble, I don't think there is anything wrong with this signing.

Reactions: NB613

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Hogberg should make the jump with Gus and Daccord in Belleville

I think we trade Andy

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
No bonus money involved obviously, so the 2.6 will get spread out.

It is probably front loaded because of the lockout.

Weak goalie market, Nilsson had some leverage, and that's probably a consolation the Sens gave into.

That means, in a worst case scenario where an entire season is missed, Nilsson will have earned a few extra 100k during the lifetime of the deal.

It is a similar premise to a lockout bonus.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Meh, Andy is gone no later than the TDL ....Hogberg can wait until then

Not waiver exempt.

There's a chance he'd get claimed during pre-season.

We also have a log jam in the minors if we keep him

Someone has to be gone. There's no perfect scenario where we keep everybody.

If we are trying to maximize assets for a rebuild, we deal Anderson at the draft and let Hogberg/Gustavsson/Daccord battle for the #2. Ideally, Gus stays in the AHL and plays a lot.

I have a feeling, we are going to see an Anderson/Nilsson tandem because that goes in line with playing it safe and "contending" for a playoff spot.

Reactions: topshelf15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad