Confirmed with Link: Senators re-sign goaltender Anders Nilsson to a two-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Toxic seems (really) strong for Anderson, but there are rumblings out there that he isn't the easiest goalie to play in front of. There may be something to just rolling a goalie out there (whether that's Nilsson or Hogberg) that is just happy to have an NHL spot locked down and won't jump down our young D's throats every time they make a mistake.

Honestly, I woulnd't be overly surprised if Anderson told management in the exit meetings that he is still very open for a move to a contender (or playoff team at the very least) and that management will "do right by him" and try and find a suitor, even it it means taking pennies on the dollar. A buyout also seems like an option, as the cash owed will be less than his cap hit (which will remain on the books). Seems like another creative way to reach the cap floor without spending that much actual money.

Reactions: Alex1234 and armani

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, news to me. Would love to know how this opinion was formed.

His body language after goals against.

It was pretty bad at the start of last year when we were trying to be good, but I think it improved as the season went on and it was pretty clear we were just shit, and defensive lapses are going to happen as the team grows.

I'm not sure I'd take it as far as to say Andy is toxic, but I certainly know where he's coming from.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Goalies we want to keep
Hogberg, Gustavsson, Nilsson, Daccord

Goalies we want to move
Condon, Anderson

Should be doable. Nilsson seems like a real good guy and he's the right age to be a part of this young group and teach the young swedish goalies of the future.
A little much for the salary but it's good, i like it enough.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

As of right now he's proven he's the best. Can that change? Sure, goalies are volatile. But Hogberg has shown great improvement and the ability to carry a team.

Again he is the furthest along in his development but I’m not sure I see a quality NHL goaltender there. He was great down the stretch for Belleville but I still see the same issues that I see holding him back at the next level.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Toxic seems (really) strong for Anderson, but there are rumblings out there that he isn't the easiest goalie to play in front of. There may be something to just rolling a goalie out there (whether that's Nilsson or Hogberg) that is just happy to have an NHL spot locked down and won't jump down our young D's throats every time they make a mistake.

Honestly, I woulnd't be overly surprised if Anderson told management in the exit meetings that he is still very open for a move to a contender (or playoff team at the very least) and that management will "do right by him" and try and find a suitor, even it it means taking pennies on the dollar. A buyout also seems like an option, as the cash owed will be less than his cap hit (which will remain on the books). Seems like another creative way to reach the cap floor without spending that much actual money.

Andy’s a good dude but seems kind of prickly.

Reactions: NB613

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
More likely to be bought out.

The team may not want to buy him out because they'd have to then risk paying him 1.333M during a lockout.

The two benefits of a buyout would be that it saves Ottawa 2.666M this season at the expense of increasing payroll by 1.333M next season (regardless of a lockout), and secondly that Anderson's full 4.75M cap hit would remain on the books this season since it was a 35+ contract.

I'd be surprised if there were no takers for Anderson half retained at 2.375M. That would be the better option for Ottawa. It would save them similar money over the lifetime of the contract and would leave nothing on the books next season when there might be a lockout.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The only time Andy was possibly "toxic" was when he asked for a trade out of here when Karlsson was still on the team.

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hope they try & move Anderson at the draft & buy out Condon before the yr starts. I'm not sure anyone will trade for Anderson leading up to the deadline unless there #1 gets hurt & is out for the season. Although he would make for a fairly cheap rental & backup in the playoffs.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I hope they try & move Anderson at the draft & buy out Condon before the yr starts. I'm not sure anyone will trade for Anderson leading up to the deadline unless there #1 gets hurt & is out for the season. Although he would make for a fairly cheap rental & backup in the playoffs.

Frolik for Anderson would be an idea...

Smith might be done in CGY. Gives them a veteran behind Rittich. Frolik apparently wants out. It's similar cap/money. Frolik might actually boost his value here due to the open top 6. He could be flipped at the deadline for a 3rd maybe if all goes well.

Also, he has a 3M salary against a 4.3M cap. Saves Sens 1M. Maybe Sens have to retain 400k on Anderson to even out the cap hits.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The team may not want to buy him out because they'd have to then risk paying him 1.333M during a lockout.

The two benefits of a buyout would be that it saves Ottawa 2.666M this season at the expense of increasing payroll by 1.333M next season (regardless of a lockout), and secondly that Anderson's full 4.75M cap hit would remain on the books this season since it was a 35+ contract.

I'd be surprised if there were no takers for Anderson half retained at 2.375M. That would be the better option for Ottawa. It would save them similar money over the lifetime of the contract and would leave nothing on the books next season when there might be a lockout.
Your scenario is better for Ottawa but I personally don't see any takers given the free agent market of goalies this offseason. Are there any super cap strapped teams who are extremely desperate for goaltending?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I said it right in my post. He stares down his d men when he gets scored on all the time and he has asked for a trade atleast once.
I wouldn't go so far to call it toxic.

It comes with the territory in where he plays. You put any goalie in this dumpster fire and eventually all the losing and toxicity created by upper management and they would probably act the same

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't go so far to call it toxic.

It comes with the territory in where he plays. You put any goalie in this dumpster fire and eventually all the losing and toxicity created by upper management and they would probably act the same

Doesnt come with the territory to blame others when you are supposed to be a leader. On top of that he bailed on the situation as soon as it didnt go his way after the organization made him the priority in net for a long time. Passing on goaltenders that are younger and much better at this point. You would expect some sort of loyalty. He is not who I want around the room, he doesnt want to be here then get out. He has been absolutely horrible for two straight years anyway, bad player at this point with a bad attitude.

When he kept playing the puck to the other team and giving away goals I didnt see anyone ripping him or blaming him.

I dislike management as much as anyone but this time Craig Anderson is the issue.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Your scenario is better for Ottawa but I personally don't see any takers given the free agent market of goalies this offseason. Are there any super cap strapped teams who are extremely desperate for goaltending?

San Jose.

Even if EK walks they'll still be on the hook for extensions to Meier, Donskoi, Pavelski, Thornton(?) and Nyqvist(?) and Doug Wilson is always aggressive to add top end talent (so might be a player for Panarin as well).

They'd have to find a taker for Aaron Dell (or the Sens would have to take him back in a deal) but Anderson behind Jones would make me feel a lot better as a Sharks fan than the current setup.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Is he still injured? I thought that they figurd out the issue and he would have been cleared by now...

As for the signing i am a bit surprised.
It is a good move imo in that it gives us a bit of experience for next year when Andy presumably retires.

they did figure out the issue

there was an interview with ConDon maybe as far back as 2 months ago where he basically said he has never been better going back to roughly the I I tial problem in 2013or so and that he is raring to go.

based on his words in that interview unless he has a new injury he really couldn't argue he's injured

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm hoping they can figure out a way to Nilsson / Hogberg this year.

Trade Anderson and retain

Let Condon play in Belleville as vet insurance and to help groom Gus

Reactions: armani and Vprime

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

I hope we fimd a way to get Hogberg play in the nhl.

Every year, there is a team that lose agoalie at some point and need to trade for a goalie to replace the injured one.

This might be our chance to trade Anderson for whatever we can. Maybe even retain money to help the team since Anderson only has 1year left.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Trading Anderson for the best asset possible (even if it requires retaining) is the best move long term. It let's us keep Hogberg and gives us another piece.

I'd hope we could get a 3rd round pick for him, but I think something like a change of scenery cap swap (like to CGY for Frolik) might be more realistic.

My fear is that when Dorion says we are expected to contend for a playoff spot, he's serious, and it is informing his moves. My hope is that he is just saying that for PR purposes. If contending for a playoff spot is informing our moves, I can very well see us passing on the growing pains that might come with developing Hogberg in the NHL in exchange for a more known quantity in Anderson+Nilsson.

If Daccord is in the ECHL, Condon would be fine in Belleville as the veteran #2 and player who can come up and sit on the bench here in the NHL when there are injuries so that Gustavsson can continue to start for Belleville. Buying Condon out makes the most sense since it would save 1 million over the lifetime of the contract, but I'd wonder if the Senators would opt to not add money on the books next year in case of an impending lockout, in which case they wouldn't buy him out.

An alternative would be something like Condon to TBL for Callahan after Callahan's bonus is paid by Tampa Bay. That would be 3 million in salary out, 1.3 million in salary in. Gives the Senators a solid veteran bottom 6er while saving money. Given that teams at the TDL only have to add the remainder of a cap hit, we could probably also get something minor for Callahan in February, maybe a mid or late pick. For Tampa, it would clear all but 1.4 million of Callahan's cap hit, which might be the best option for them.

Reactions: bert

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Actually this maybe a logical option. Moving Anderson with rentention + Condon in the minors as a vet call up option is not bad at all.

I can't see anybody wanting to trade for Condon even at 50% with so many goalies available in the off season. I also can't see Melnyk buying him out AND retain on Andy.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
2 years is a good signing. Nilsson could be a late bloomer and he's shown enough plus the price is reasonable. Long enough to go 1 year beyond Andy and Condon no matter what happens and short enough not to block a developing younger guy when he's ready. I can see one of Andy or Condon gone in a package deal that may cost a pick at some point in the near future but the Sens can afford to carry an extra goalie if need be for a while. Hogberg is still waiver exempted next season so I see him in Belleville unless the Sens clear the deck. I hope the Sens don't get caught by his agent pushing for a one way deal as was reported. Goalie injuries are a part of the life so Hogberg will get his call-ups and the way will be clear for him to compete with Nilsson the year after.

That ones in my good move book for Dorion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad