BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Zuccarello - Richards - Gaborik
Pyatt (Kreider in future) - Miller - Callahan
Powe - Boyle/Halpern - Haley/Asham

Apr 10, 2012
Hank's rebound control has not been up to his usual standards this year. I think that much is a fair critique.

everything has been improving as the season continues, this is another area that hopefully will. he always seems to start with ups and downs. on the plus this is around the time into the season that he steps it up

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
This board has been spoiled with Hank since 2007, so I won't even start an argument about that aspect. For this team to win, Lundqvist has to be the best player on the ice. Let that sink in for a second and then you can erase any illusions of how good this team really is. Frankly, our playoff run was a joke, we got as far as Hank could carry us. Then we started playing like we traditionally do in the playoffs (like bums) against the Devils in the ECF and we got manhandled. Nothing has changed since Hank arrived here. Sure, we got Nash, finally we got another legit franchise player who you can rely on to have a chance winning games. But it killed the pathetic depth we had in the first place.

The rebound Hank allowed is standard on good legit defensive teams, but this team can't manage to take care of a rebound where three guys have to take care of one forward. So sure, Hank has to stand on his head and swallow everything for this team to claw out a win in desperation, I agree with you there. We have a bunch of swivel head pups who can't track the puck and lose their mark in the process.

That Hank was "tired" or some crap like that is a joke, the first goal was a lucky bounce, he can't square up on a deflection to hug the frigging post. If you demand that, you're an idiot. Second he couldn't even see, third, well, sure, it's Hank's fault he had any illusions his teammates will ever do their job properly.

Scoring in the league has gone up, our scoring has gone down (2,71 -> 2,48 GF/ G). Last season we were one of the best shot blocking teams in the league, this season we're below average, or worse than mediocre if you want to write it out like that. Yet we still stand there like extras in a B-movie that our opponents are directing, we're still screening Hank's vision, not taking care of traffic and not taking care of rebounds. I have no clue what the hell they are doing out there. They don't score and they don't help Hank. So you can stop wonder why we're a playoff bubble team.

Pathetic offense (24th in the league), pathetic PP, bad PK, bad transition game, terrible at turnovers, bad at shot blocking, bad at breakout passes, good at screening our own goalie.

Torts needs to go. Last season he got out more of the sum of the parts than the names on the back. This season it feels more like he's getting out less of the team than the individuals on it. Last season we were at least a difficult team to defeat, this season we've been outplayed, outcoached, outmatched basically every game, regardless who we play. Nash got traded from one Columbus team to a better Columbus team, because this Columbus team at least has Hank and defensemen that are supposedly good. The offensive supporting cast is still trash, no change for Nash there.

It's getting to the point where Hank would have a better chance winning a Cup on the frigging Islanders. At least they know how to score and he can rely on the defense to not do much at all but put him in difficult situations, so that shouldn't be much of a change. Either dismantle this crap team or switch coach, because this is pathetic. We have better players than this, so we shouldn't be this pathetic.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This board has been spoiled with Hank since 2007, so I won't even start an argument about that aspect. For this team to win, Lundqvist has to be the best player on the ice. Let that sink in for a second and then you can erase any illusions of how good this team really is. Frankly, our playoff run was a joke, we got as far as Hank could carry us. Then we started playing like we traditionally do in the playoffs (like bums) against the Devils in the ECF and we got manhandled. Nothing has changed since Hank arrived here. Sure, we got Nash, finally we got another legit franchise player who you can rely on to have a chance winning games. But it killed the pathetic depth we had in the first place.

The rebound Hank allowed is standard on good legit defensive teams, but this team can't manage to take care of a rebound where three guys have to take care of one forward. So sure, Hank has to stand on his head and swallow everything for this team to claw out a win in desperation, I agree with you there. We have a bunch of swivel head pups who can't track the puck and lose their mark in the process.

That Hank was "tired" or some crap like that is a joke, the first goal was a lucky bounce, he can't square up on a deflection to hug the frigging post. If you demand that, you're an idiot. Second he couldn't even see, third, well, sure, it's Hank's fault he had any illusions his teammates will ever do their job properly.

Scoring in the league has gone up, our scoring has gone down (2,71 -> 2,48 GF/ G). Last season we were one of the best shot blocking teams in the league, this season we're below average, or worse than mediocre if you want to write it out like that. Yet we still stand there like extras in a B-movie that our opponents are directing, we're still screening Hank's vision, not taking care of traffic and not taking care of rebounds. I have no clue what the hell they are doing out there. They don't score and they don't help Hank. So you can stop wonder why we're a playoff bubble team.

Pathetic offense (24th in the league), pathetic PP, bad PK, bad transition game, terrible at turnovers, bad at shot blocking, bad at breakout passes, good at screening our own goalie.

Torts needs to go. Last season he got out more of the sum of the parts than the names on the back. This season it feels more like he's getting out less of the team than the individuals on it. Last season we were at least a difficult team to defeat, this season we've been outplayed, outcoached, outmatched basically every game, regardless who we play. Nash got traded from one Columbus team to a better Columbus team, because this Columbus team at least has Hank and defensemen that are supposedly good. The offensive supporting cast is still trash, no change for Nash there.

It's getting to the point where Hank would have a better chance winning a Cup on the frigging Islanders. At least they know how to score and he can rely on the defense to not do much at all but put him in difficult situations, so that shouldn't be much of a change. Either dismantle this crap team or switch coach, because this is pathetic. We have better players than this, so we shouldn't be this pathetic.

Back away from the ledge...:shakehead

Also... AFAIK our PK is still top 10-12. Can't figure out for the life of me why that is a bad thing. Care to explain?

Last edited:

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Can't win them all. Team looked gassed, consequence of the coaches unwillingness to roll 4 lines/our inability to ice a capable 4th line.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Can't win them all. Team looked gassed, consequence of the coaches unwillingness to roll 4 lines/our inability to ice a capable 4th line.

Well said!
It looked like we could not even enter their zone the last 5 mins of the game, they were completely out of energy, including the Dmen! I think the 4 games in 6 nights, using only half of the team, took its toll last night, but you can't use that and the injuries as an excuse, as all teams go through the same things. This exposes our lack of depth and the over reliance on the top 2 lines for ALL of the scoring!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Back away from the ledge...:shakehead

Also... AFAIK our PK is still top 10-12. Can't figure out for the life of me why that is a bad thing. Care to explain?
Alright, maybe "bad" is a harsh word. But whenever we face a competent PP team, we're done for. We pad the stats playing teams having almost as much of a pathetic PP as ours. If you're fine with watching a team pretending to be a good team, good for you. I'm getting sick of a team relying on their goalie - and now Nash - to win every game, every season. I'm starting to believe our standing in the league last season was a fluke. We had an excellent run of about 20-25 games in a row, the rest we looked just like we did in the playoffs: outplayed with Hank saving our *****. Unacceptable. The Senators played better overall hockey than us, the Capitals played better overall hockey than us, the Devils demolished us, because then our defense produced just as much quality as our laughable offense.

Pessmist? I'd say I'm being a realist. This grinding **** isn't a solution, it's cementing mediocrity. Looked what happened when we tried to actually play some ******* hockey and actually managed to skate and pass our way through the neutral zone. We created more on a couple of shifts than we create in an entire game. But no, let's keep continuing dumping the puck in the corner, lose it and continue to look like tards in the offensive zone.

This team will win a Cup when pigs fly, because the weaknesses are too many and glaring. At least when we didn't have Nash, this team knew exactly what it was: slightly above mediocre. Then they didn't have any illusions of exactly what they had to do to win games. Grind, help Hank out and pray we got the first goal.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Can someone tell me why Hags-Step-Nash had to be broken up? They were the best line while Richards was out. I don't understand why Torts had to break them up. The only reason that I can come up with is that Torts wanted to get his boy, Richards going. Is that more important than giving this team the best chance to win? JT should have been with Cally, and Richards should have been with Gaborik.

Also, I know Girardi was horrible last night, but why was Eminger on the first pairing with McD? Why is Stralman still not on the Flowerplay? So many questions with Torts.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I was at a bar watching the game. I watch the 3rd period and it's looking really good I see a graphic that we outshot them 11-3 with more than half a period to go. I puff out my chest and am proud of this team and brag to my Devil's fan friend. Then all of a sudden the tide turns and the Senators just dominate and win the game. Going by the total shots I figured that it was bad. I come home and the shots were 17-13 Senators in the 3rd. What the ****ing hell? That's 14-2 to end the game. If the team wasn't tired enough to get an 11-3 shot lead in the 3rd, how were they so tired that they got outshot 14-2 in the 2nd half of the 3rd? Is it really being tired? Or were they just complacent? There's no way the Senators are better right now than the Rangers. I mean with their injuries. Especially 14-2 better. If they are we're not even remotely a playoff team.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone tell me why Hags-Step-Nash had to be broken up? They were the best line while Richards was out. I don't understand why Torts had to break them up. The only reason that I can come up with is that Torts wanted to get his boy, Richards going. Is that more important than giving this team the best chance to win? JT should have been with Cally, and Richards should have been with Gaborik.

Also, I know Girardi was horrible last night, but why was Eminger on the first pairing with McD? Why is Stralman still not on the Flowerplay? So many questions with Torts.

In defense of Torts and I don't defend him much lately, maybe he wanted to get Richards going and thought that Stepan was playing well enough that he can carry another line. That way you can have several lines going, and even if the Richards' line is a little less effective it was probably for the better. Hey Stepan almost scored but I think it hit the crossbar. I didn't really see how he was most of the game though, I was in a bar not watching intently.

BTW, was Boyle still the 3C or was he demoted? Was Miller finally the 3C? He deserves it over that useless sack of ****.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So I was at a bar watching the game. I watch the 3rd period and it's looking really good I see a graphic that we outshot them 11-3 with more than half a period to go. I puff out my chest and am proud of this team and brag to my Devil's fan friend. Then all of a sudden the tide turns and the Senators just dominate and win the game. Going by the total shots I figured that it was bad. I come home and the shots were 17-13 Senators in the 3rd. What the ****ing hell? That's 14-2 to end the game. If the team wasn't tired enough to get an 11-3 shot lead in the 3rd, how were they so tired that they got outshot 14-2 in the 2nd half of the 3rd? Is it really being tired? Or were they just complacent? There's no way the Senators are better right now than the Rangers. I mean with their injuries. Especially 14-2 better. If they are we're not even remotely a playoff team.

The Senators are not. Lehner stood on his head (Lundqvist did as well), we played a game yesterday, they didn't. If we get to OT we win that game but you could see the fatigue coming through at the end of the third.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
In defense of Torts and I don't defend him much lately, maybe he wanted to get Richards going and thought that Stepan was playing well enough that he can carry another line. That way you can have several lines going, and even if the Richards' line is a little less effective it was probably for the better. Hey Stepan almost scored but I think it hit the crossbar. I didn't really see how he was most of the game though, I was in a bar not watching intently.

BTW, was Boyle still the 3C or was he demoted? Was Miller finally the 3C? He deserves it over that useless sack of ****.
Only Torts would mess with what was working perfectly fine. Richards needs to get himself out of his slump, not rely on Nash to do it for him. How Nash is scoring at a PPG on this offensively inept team boggles my mind.

Boyle was a healthy scratch.

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
Just got home from the game.

It wasn't a terrible loss, but I see the same issues from other games. We keep our forwards deep in our own zone, apply no pressure to their defensemen, and have trouble getting the puck out of our zone. During the Islanders game we got a few lucky bounces, this time we didn't. As I see it, the majority of our wins will be squeaked out since we have no ability to score goals at will, apart from Nash.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Senators are not. Lehner stood on his head (Lundqvist did as well), we played a game yesterday, they didn't. If we get to OT we win that game but you could see the fatigue coming through at the end of the third.

I mean, yeah I also believe it was the 3rd game in 4 nights, but this is the big boy league. Also last year we were dominant on the 2nd half of back to backs, I think the season before too. This year we're 0 for with some awful losses. At some point you have to man the **** up and win a game under adverse circumstances. If you're saying they were tired in the 3rd, why did they fall behind 2-0 in the game in the 1st?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Only Torts would mess with what was working perfectly fine. Richards needs to get himself out of his slump, not rely on Nash to do it for him. How Nash is scoring at a PPG on this offensively inept team boggles my mind.

Boyle was a healthy scratch.

Boyle was a healthy scratch, at least Torts did something right. I wonder if any of the Boyle fanboys will point to the bad defensive effort and say it was because Boyle wasn't playing. :laugh:

And I can't say I disagree. It's old adage. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. You already have a bird in the hand with the Stepan line, no need to go for 2 in the bush (2 possible good lines). Richards is making a lot of money that he shouldn't have to rely on Nash, other players should rely on him. Hope they reunite the Stepan line. That line was great.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The defense did not step up at all in Staal's absence. McDonagh is more inconsistent than he was last year and he will need to play better if Staal is out long term. Girardi had issues with coverage and clearing the puck. Stralman and Del Zotto started the game out well but struggled as the game progressed, especially Stralman. Eminger was getting beat a lot and Hamrlik is not capable of playing more than 10 minutes a game right now.

Bickel is just not an NHL player. Slats really needs to improve the bottom 6. Powe belongs on the 4th line. Lack of depth is one of the most glaring problems on this team right now - our bottom 6 probably produces the least offense in the league.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Boyle was a healthy scratch, at least Torts did something right. I wonder if any of the Boyle fanboys will point to the bad defensive effort and say it was because Boyle wasn't playing. :laugh:

And I can't say I disagree. It's old adage. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. You already have a bird in the hand with the Stepan line, no need to go for 2 in the bush (2 possible good lines). Richards is making a lot of money that he shouldn't have to rely on Nash, other players should rely on him. Hope they reunite the Stepan line. That line was great.

Anyone sitting over Stu Bickel is a bad decision. I love Torts, but the fact that we got Richards back and STILL had to deal with Stu Bickel playing forward was a mistake.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The defense did not step up at all in Staal's absence. McDonagh is more inconsistent than he was last year and he will need to play better if Staal is out long term. Girardi had issues with coverage and clearing the puck. Stralman and Del Zotto started the game out well but struggled as the game progressed, especially Stralman. Eminger was getting beat a lot and Hamrlik is not capable of playing more than 10 minutes a game right now.

Bickel is just not an NHL player. Slats really needs to improve the bottom 6. Powe belongs on the 4th line. Lack of depth is one of the most glaring problems on this team right now - our bottom 6 probably produces the least offense in the league.

With the way Miller has played lately and Kreider in the AHL, we have to reunite Kreider-Miller-Callahan.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone sitting over Stu Bickel is a bad decision. I love Torts, but the fact that we got Richards back and STILL had to deal with Stu Bickel playing forward was a mistake.

Stu Bickel was playing? :rant: WHY???!!! What does he bring to this team? I'm convinced Torts is Dagoon. I don't give a **** that Bickel can fight, he's a ****ing LIABILITY. He takes bad penalties playing 5 minutes a game and does nothing well. Seriously this guy needs to be playing in the ECHL. :rant: Torts is an idiot!

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Yeah, very true. Boyle sucks, but Bickel is infinitely worse than him. Has the Stu Bickel Experiment been going on for over a year now? It has to end.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Just got home from the game.

It wasn't a terrible loss, but I see the same issues from other games. We keep our forwards deep in our own zone, apply no pressure to their defensemen, and have trouble getting the puck out of our zone. During the Islanders game we got a few lucky bounces, this time we didn't. As I see it, the majority of our wins will be squeaked out since we have no ability to score goals at will, apart from Nash.

wow man! You just got home from the game?! Poor guy...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00