Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wow, thanks for making these. Is this going to be White's 3rd year at the WJs?

All this hype when he was drafter 3 years ago and it's gone stale for me since he hasn't seemed to have improved statistically that much. Hard to gauge though when he went from the US system, to the NCAA, and WJC doesn't really allow a large enough sample size to look at progress/development.

He was drafted like 15 months ago, not 3 years.

It's his 2nd year at the WJ's.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Wow, thanks for making these. Is this going to be White's 3rd year at the WJs?

All this hype when he was drafter 3 years ago and it's gone stale for me since he hasn't seemed to have improved statistically that much. Hard to gauge though when he went from the US system, to the NCAA, and WJC doesn't really allow a large enough sample size to look at progress/development.

2nd year at at the WJC. He is in his Draft Year +2. Last year was his first year in the NCAA. He was drafted out of the US National Development Program in 2015. His U18 team won the gold at the U18 WC in his Draft Year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To be honest I don't think a lot of you know just how good of a player Jaros is developing into. I

He was drafted as a shutdown defender with wheels who management and scouts believed to have a lot of hidden offensive potential and friends whove watch Jaros in SHL told me he's unlocked some of it this year and has really added a new element to his game while still being rock solid defensively.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
To be honest I don't think a lot of you know just how good of a player Jaros is developing into. I

He was drafted as a shutdown defender with wheels who management and scouts believed to have a lot of hidden offensive potential and friends whove watch Jaros in SHL told me he's unlocked some of it this year and has really added a new element to his game while still being rock solid defensively.

As long as you're here to let us know :laugh:

He's our 2nd/3rd best D prospect, very likely an NHLer.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Jaros intrigues me. I ain't gonna lie to any one. But that's probably because I've seen so little of him.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I have liked Jaros and Ahl a lot in the development camps / rookie tourneys when I saw them.

Don't think they are going to be impact players, but should carve out good role player type careers.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
How has he been doing?

I just talked to his manager the other day. He wasn't performing quite up to expectations in the bagging department, so they moved him to produce. Word is they see a lot of potential in him there. He really knows his portobellos from his shiitakes!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I just talked to his manager the other day. He wasn't performing quite up to expectations in the bagging department, so they moved him to produce. Word is they see a lot of potential in him there. He really knows his portobellos from his shiitakes!
:laugh: Murray should be proud!

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
White is 19 only drafted 15 months ago. I have now seen 7 BC games live and let me tell you they are playing with not 13 freshman but 15 as two guys who they list as sophomores were brought in mid year last year. He is a target every game as they have no one to protect him. He spends aboubt 10 min a game on the PK as their top penalty killer and has to back check the entire game to help a poor defense. His production will not be as high at BC this season as he is too busy doing all the little things to just help them get a win. BC is the youngest team in the NCAA this season. He battles all game and works the boards hard and is not afraid to mix it up. He is still improving every game just not aspects of his game that the avg fan doesn't see but scouts see it. OTT has been at several BC games and they are happy with what they are seeing. He will not do any time in the AHL. He is NHL ready and will not have much of an adjustment. He has a lot of speed like Dzingal so it won't be a problem. Dorion has stated publicly that he will be up in the NHL in Ottawa by Feb/March and I would be surprised if that isn't true.

Lastly, keep in mind he had wrist surgery last summer and couldn't play games, stick handle/shoot until September. He looks good considering he had to take a few months off. I am told his wrist feels great. Hopefully he stays healthy the rest of the season.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
@usascout1

thx a lot for that. Can't wait to see him at the WJC and with Ottawa later this year or next year.

I always say about White that we should not evaluate him only on offensive production. He is a real two-way player. You have to value both way of the ice, because he will have a bigger impact than stats say.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
White is 19 only drafted 15 months ago. I have now seen 7 BC games live and let me tell you they are playing with not 13 freshman but 15 as two guys who they list as sophomores were brought in mid year last year. He is a target every game as they have no one to protect him. He spends aboubt 10 min a game on the PK as their top penalty killer and has to back check the entire game to help a poor defense. His production will not be as high at BC this season as he is too busy doing all the little things to just help them get a win. BC is the youngest team in the NCAA this season. He battles all game and works the boards hard and is not afraid to mix it up. He is still improving every game just not aspects of his game that the avg fan doesn't see but scouts see it. OTT has been at several BC games and they are happy with what they are seeing. He will not do any time in the AHL. He is NHL ready and will not have much of an adjustment. He has a lot of speed like Dzingal so it won't be a problem. Dorion has stated publicly that he will be up in the NHL in Ottawa by Feb/March and I would be surprised if that isn't true.

Lastly, keep in mind he had wrist surgery last summer and couldn't play games, stick handle/shoot until September. He looks good considering he had to take a few months off. I am told his wrist feels great. Hopefully he stays healthy the rest of the season.

Always great to hear your take on prospects down south (and otherwise). Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

edit: Looking back at some scouting profiles from his draft year, I've seen some mixed opinions about his skating; some saying it was just decent, while others suggesting it was among the best in the draft class. Is this something he's been improving on, or just a case of differing opinions.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I'd say he a Alfie type skater. Not a burner, but really good agility and edges as well as decent straight line speed.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Jeeeeezzzz mans got us pumped with that review.

Yup. White had the best agility scores in his draft class, on both sides and did really well on other areas

He's going to fit on Boucher's system like a glove. Fast, agile, GREAT defensive awareness, good offensive instinct. Can we say he's relentless? I think we can.

Boucher will love him if he doesn't change that.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Speed like Dzingel. Hopefully it's true, haven't really noticed his speed from the handful of WJ games I saw.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Speed like Dzingel. Hopefully it's true, haven't really noticed his speed from the handful of WJ games I saw.

Scouting reports on his skating were a bit mixed;

"has great strength on his skates and is tough to separate from the puck"
"He isn’t the most elegant skater,"
"Outside of his quick feet and impressive agility, White is a prospect who relies on his breadth of skills rather than one or two specific high-end skills"
"He has decent speed and generates the power to fight through checks and go to the net. He also has good agility."
"one of the best skaters for this draft…great speed with an excellent stride and tremendous acceleration…"

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Skating is the most improvable skill anyways. If there were mixed reports and he improves, then he instantly becomes a really good skater. Dzingel-lite maybe.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Skating is the most improvable skill anyways. If there were mixed reports and he improves, then he instantly becomes a really good skater. Dzingel-lite maybe.

I expect White to be a lot better than Dzingel. I've been super impressed with Dzingel, but I don't see him ever surpassing a guy like Carl Hagelin. Great speed and pretty good hands, but other than that he's just "a really solid guy". Dzingel has 11 pts in 23 games, and I think thats the pace you hope he maintains for the rest of his career. I don't think he has much upside beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad