Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
that or he didn't get enough minutes to succeed.

Supposedly you get the minutes you deserve in hockey & have worked for, isn't that the logic of almost every coach at every level? It's only in pee wee where all the kids have to play. The cream always rises to the top.

Bruce Garrioch‏Verified account
@SunGarrioch

Following
More
67's head coach and GM Jeff Brown has stepped down for personal reasons.

Hopefully to dedicate all his time to Logans development.

I doubt at Logan's age his dad will do more than just give him his support & advice when requested. I doubt very much that Jeff will be involved in any way in Logan's hockey development at this point & will leave that to the Senators considering they are located where Logan lives during the summer. Logan has access to all of the Senators facilities & was using some of them even before he was drafted by the organization & was working out with several Senator players & prospects. I expect he will continue doing that while healing from the injuries he sustained during the season & will likely seek Senator doctor's help with his rehabilitation too.

Windsor fans don't give a **** about Logan as a prospect, which is 100% what we do.

They only care about this year's on ice product. Why would they give a **** about what Logan is going to be as a 22 year old?

Using a junior team's fanbase as a barometer for a prospect is not a very smart exercise.

He had a rough year, no doubt. Thankfully, his worth as a prospect isn't based on his injury plagued 18 year old season...

Good point, considering how young that fan base might be making those claims.

I imagine Logan will figure out what he wants to do over the course of the next few yrs & we could see that he excels, quits or is satisfied doing enough to get by & no more. Does he have the drive to be a superstar or is he satisfied to just do his best & leave the game at the rink? Who knows. Maybe it's just injuries & how hard you have to work to over come them, maybe it's the pain of the injuries that is long lasting with some or maybe he just got hurt & out of the lineup. It's amusing how some people will blame the player for being injured a lot like they do it on purpose. I look at his style of play & it's more cerebral than physical for a big man & that can be a problem for some me included, especially if they are not producing offensively.

Like most kids his age it's extremely difficult to know what you want to do with your life considering the parameters but obviously being a millionaire has to be a driving force to lead him in that direction at least for a while. We all think it's a no brainer that he loves hockey & wants to be the best, but that might not necessarily be what he wants, it wasn't for Daigle & others. Brett Hall once said, "I've been lucky that I was really good playing a game, that I didn't even like playing". Based on a friend who knows him & whose son is friend's with him & played hockey recently with him it's all between the ears with this guy. Maybe he is too cerebral for the game.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Anyone worried about Brown just look at the turn around that P.Luc Dubois has had. If he has another dud season it would be concerning, but it's way too early right now.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone worried about Brown just look at the turn around that P.Luc Dubois has had. If he has another dud season it would be concerning, but it's way too early right now.

I though PLD had turned his season around after the trade. Got this V off the Prospects board

breakdown of PLDs season. I haven't been able to watch him much outside the WJC but everything points to him being back to his form last season.

Just a quick look at his stats and I really don't see any reason to panic. He's actually been on a seemingly upward trend since the trade.

In CB he had 18 pts in 20 games, .9p/G, +4, 3 PPG and 1 gwg

Since joining the armada he's played 28 games and has 37 pts, 1.32p/G, +13, 5 ppg and 4 gwg.

For a total of 48 games 21 goals and 34 assists for 55 pts, 1.14p/G, +17, 8 ppg and 5 gwg.

But the big Stat that stands out most to me is his shots compared to last season and his shooting percentage. Last season he had 236 shots on net at 17% sh%. This season in 20 games in CB he took 68 shots at 8.8%... For the rest of the season after the trade he took 98 shots at 15.3%. He's doubled his point total after the trade(albeit in 8 more games)

My take is like others have said, he was obviously disappointed with not making the jackets this season. But ever since the trade and the WJC he's been back to his play of last season. And from what it seems his faceoffs have only improved.

Not to mention in one more game played he has 7 more points than last year in the playoffs.. 19 pts in 13 games. He also has 20 less games played this season because of the WJC. So take thst into account. And his current play in the playoffs is pretty much on par with his scoring rate of last season. 1.46 p/G compared to 1.52 p/G last season.
:yo:

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah there are no worries with PLD in my eyes, I'd trade every prospect not named Chabot for him in a heartbeat, he's a keeper.

I'm also not worried about Brown right now at all. This time next year he's in the same boat, then I'll start worrying.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Chlapik with 2 goals and a +3 in a 5-4 loss last night. Now has 18 points in 11 playoff games. Hopefully Charlottetown can bounce back and he can continue his run.

Really looking forward to seeing how this guy can do with Belleville next year. Has a lot of good tools. If he can get his skating to be a bit more of a plus I could see a #2C in this guy in 3-4 years.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2222889

Did anyone see this thread on the main board?

Screen_Shot_2017_04_25_at_6.21.40_PM.png

We actually do graduate a ton of prospects to the NHL level.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2222889

Did anyone see this thread on the main board?

Screen_Shot_2017_04_25_at_6.21.40_PM.png

We actually do graduate a ton of prospects to the NHL level.

Ya ive seen it brought up a few times. People usually mention that we've also given opportunities to guys who are questionable NHL talents like Boro, Gryba, Hammond, Lee, Carkner ect, ect. I'm not naming specific players that would factor into the tables im just saying the sens have given guys opportunities to play where i would think most teams wouldnt

Kinda crazy that Boro has played 200+ games

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ya ive seen it brought up a few times. People usually mention that we've also given opportunities to guys who are questionable NHL talents like Boro, Gryba, Hammond, Lee, Carkner ect, ect. I'm not naming specific players that would factor into the tables im just saying the sens have given guys opportunities to play where i would think most teams wouldnt

Boro is the only guy that fits the criteria here.

Edit: I see you specified that, apologies

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Windsor fans don't give a **** about Logan as a prospect, which is 100% what we do.

They only care about this year's on ice product. Why would they give a **** about what Logan is going to be as a 22 year old?

Using a junior team's fanbase as a barometer for a prospect is not a very smart exercise.

He had a rough year, no doubt. Thankfully, his worth as a prospect isn't based on his injury plagued 18 year old season...

Totally. They probably just didn't like the fact that he didn't put more points on the board. Sometimes, hockey following could be as simplistic.

Maybe Logan has been working on other facets of his game because he is already thinking about his future and relies on what his dad and Ottawa staff tells him. And of course, if you can't stay healthy and get into a rhythm, chances are that you won't have a great season.

I though PLD had turned his season around after the trade. Got this V off the Prospects board

Sorry but what does that mean?

Oh and take it for what it's worth but I met Craig Billington in Boisbriand not long ago, he was scouting the Armada (i believe it was against Rouyn but my memory is far from perfect lol). I guess it was to see PLD play. He is an avalanche scout.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I do think the sens have done a solid job at drafting and developing but i also figure we've probably been the right place to be for a young NHL player since 08. Kinda coincides with our rebuild and the budget. Maybe instead of signing that 2mil a year bottom pairing vet we've rolled the dice with that slightly older AHLer. I almost want to say we've done two rebuilds. One where we shed guys like Kelly, Fisher and Heatley and another with Spezza, Cowen, Wier, Greening and Condra

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good point, considering how young that fan base might be making those claims.

I imagine Logan will figure out what he wants to do over the course of the next few yrs & we could see that he excels, quits or is satisfied doing enough to get by & no more. Does he have the drive to be a superstar or is he satisfied to just do his best & leave the game at the rink? Who knows. Maybe it's just injuries & how hard you have to work to over come them, maybe it's the pain of the injuries that is long lasting with some or maybe he just got hurt & out of the lineup. It's amusing how some people will blame the player for being injured a lot like they do it on purpose. I look at his style of play & it's more cerebral than physical for a big man & that can be a problem for some me included, especially if they are not producing offensively.

Like most kids his age it's extremely difficult to know what you want to do with your life considering the parameters but obviously being a millionaire has to be a driving force to lead him in that direction at least for a while. We all think it's a no brainer that he loves hockey & wants to be the best, but that might not necessarily be what he wants, it wasn't for Daigle & others. Brett Hall once said, "I've been lucky that I was really good playing a game, that I didn't even like playing". Based on a friend who knows him & whose son is friend's with him & played hockey recently with him it's all between the ears with this guy. Maybe he is too cerebral for the game.

From what I've seen, most of the comments seem to allude to his desire/compete level. The whole 'between the ears' part of the game.

That is the big part of the boom/bust status with Brown. How much does he want it? When people watching most of his games and are close to him are questioning the same thing....yes, it does worry me.

That's all I'm saying. I haven't called the kid a bust or said he's garbage....just saying these whispers are starting to worry me.

Some folks on here get way too defensive too easily. :shakehead

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I don't see were you specified it but yeah only Boro works here with that table being since 2008.

Boro = decent depth physical D-man. Ottawa used him too highly at times because he is punishing and has a lot of heart and intangibles but he is able to play in the league in a very limited role. I don't see anything crazy here. Young rebuilding (and budget nonetheless) teams use players like that all the time. Kinda crazy how fast people forget that Ottawa is small market with a tight budget and just went through a progressive rebuild (means they couldn't gut the whole team all at once, they had to remain competitive to keep the small fanbase that is stuck between Montreal and Toronto). I seriously meet more people from Ottawa who are Leafs or the Habs fans.

Gryba = 258 NHL Games, 93 games on other teams. He played 40 this year so he could still play more games in the future. (drafted 2006)

Hammond= his magic run was worth it, but never drafted. Never believed in him but played 55 games anyway. Another criteria missed

Lee = was a 9th OA, he was decent at the beginning for a young player but the problem is that he stalled quickly and even regressed = major disappointment, particularly considering the talent that was still available at that spot (drafted 2005)

Carkner = 237 NHL Games, 76 games on other teams. Pugilist, physical 6th D-man, those guys were still used by every team at that time (drafted 1999)

The 18 guys in the table actually includes :

Erik Karlsson
Mark Stone
Mike Hoffman
Robin Lehner
Mika Zibanejad
Jakob Silfverberg
Cody Ceci
Jean-Gabriel Pageau
Zack Smith
Ryan Dzingel
Chris Wideman
---
Jared Cowen
Patrick Wiercioch
Shane Prince
Curtis Lazar
Matt Puempel
Mark Borowiecki
Derek Grant

Incoming? Stefan Noesen, Fredrik Claesson, Ben Harpur, Marcus Hogberg, Andreas Englund, Francis Perron, Thomas Chabot, Colin White, Filip Chlapik, Christian Jaros, Logan Brown, Jonathan Dahlen, etc? (EDIT : all with a decent chance to make it)

All that in 9 drafts... If somebody don't find it impressive then I don't know what to say

Let's compare with Montreal? Who sucked enough 1 season to get a 3rd OA pick...

Alex Galchenyuk (3rd OA)
Brendan Gallagher
Artturi Lehkonen
Nathan Beaulieu
Sven Andrighetto

Beaulieu is a mess, Ghetto was given for Andreas "who" Martinsen

Heck, I wouldn't even trade Karlsson for that package.

Anybody free to compare with another team. I did with Montreal as it was the quickest to do :sarcasm:

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Chlapik 1a in a 4-2 defeat his team down 3-1.
Chabot 1a in a 4-3 loss series tied 2-2
Ahl 1a after 2 periods leading 4-2 his team down 2-1

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
My only problem with the theory that Boro fits the criteria is that he has survived 3 coaches here and remained a regular NHLer. There wasn't a ton of competition for that job, but there was still Chabot and Claesson and the start of the season.

He has a unique skillset on/off the ice. I can buy that he got his break here that he might have not gotten else where, but at least in the short term I think if the Sens didn't re-sign him, or wanted to give him away, there'd be another NHL team who'd want the guy as a depth defender.

Exigaet

Mar 11, 2017
So I was thinking. Obviously we all want Chabot to go as far as he can in his playoff series. It's tied 2-2 and I'm confident his team can win 2 of the last 3 games to advance.

That being said, if he does lose, he could potentially join the Senators for our playoff run if things get dicey and a bunch of our defensemen get injured.

If he played these playoffs, assuming I'm understanding everything correctly, he'd burn a year off his entry-level contract which would make his contract expire at the same time a bunch of our top guys' contracts expire.

If he doesn't play a game these playoffs, his entry-level contract gains an extra year, making it expire at a time that doesn't really affect the team.

It's pretty unlikely the (unfortunate)perfect situation arises to warrant calling him up to play. Just wondering if anyone thinks he could be called up if his season ends shortly.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So I was thinking. Obviously we all want Chabot to go as far as he can in his playoff series. It's tied 2-2 and I'm confident his team can win 2 of the last 3 games to advance.

That being said, if he does lose, he could potentially join the Senators for our playoff run if things get dicey and a bunch of our defensemen get injured.

If he played these playoffs, assuming I'm understanding everything correctly, he'd burn a year off his entry-level contract which would make his contract expire at the same time a bunch of our top guys' contracts expire.

If he doesn't play a game these playoffs, his entry-level contract gains an extra year, making it expire at a time that doesn't really affect the team.

It's pretty unlikely the (unfortunate)perfect situation arises to warrant calling him up to play. Just wondering if anyone thinks he could be called up if his season ends shortly.

Depends how far his playoffs go, and what condition he's in by the end of it. Those kids who get to the Mem Cup are completely wiped after that tourney.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Watched 3rd period last night and Armada is legit. Islanders were only able to do something when coach was throwing Sprong and Chlapik on the same line. Any other combination was getting crushed.
Not expecting Islanders to get into final at this point.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I 100 percent think he gets recalled if his team is eliminated. Once his CHL season is over, we won't need to qualify for an emergency recall to call him up, we can just call him up regularly. He has played 1 game, so he can play up to 8 NHL games before we burn a year of his ELC.

I would be very surprised if he ended up playing. Look at what is happening with Colin White. But I wouldn't be surprised if he at least joined the black aces and got a chance to be around the team for this run.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Watched 3rd period last night and Armada is legit. Islanders were only able to do something when coach was throwing Sprong and Chlapik on the same line. Any other combination was getting crushed.
Not expecting Islanders to get into final at this point.

Sprong suspended for game 5. Its as good as over

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC

Actually Hammond would be the only one. You're kidding yourself if you don't think Boro gets an NHL job as a 6/7. Gryba, Lee and Carkner all got contracts with other teams after us, they don't fit the bill either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad