Low Effort GDT Senators @ Kings | We (sorta)Love LA edition | Sun Nov 27th 2022, 10:30PM | TSN5, RDS2

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Regarding Pinto, why isn't he used on the PK? We know he can do it. Not like he sees a lot of PP time recently with PP1 taking like 1min30.

NCAA defensive forward of the year 2 years ago. Good on faceoff( you can continue to use Giroux for the faceoff). Smart defensive player with great positionning that his strong and skate well.

Nope, let's use Watson and Kelly... Good team use their best defensive forward on the PK. It's not like our PK is good anyway.

IMO, you go Pinto, Joseph, Motte, Giroux( mostly for faceoff). Greig when called up
Norris when healthy.
PK has been about average, we are at 77.11 while league average is 77.7. not convinced Pinto changes it too much, though it probably would help with faceoffs since none of our PK tandems have a natural center.

No reason to have Giroux on the PK imo, when Kastelic is healthy and in the lineup he makes sense, Between him and Pinto we have other options that can win draws if that's specifically what we're looking for.

Reactions: DrEasy and Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought what Garrioch presented during intermission about the Formenton situation was both interesting and bizarre. Now its supposedly Formenton not wanting to sign his Qualifying Offer. Why wouldn't he just sign the offer, play the year, and then try for a preferred & better contract next year? Something seems odd here and I wonder if Bruce isn't just being the spin doctor here and carrying the water for the organization, or for the NHL. Something seems off about this situation.
Wrt Formenton not signing the QO, the deadline for that passed a long time ago, they are only valid for two weeks. Perhaps Ottawa has an open offer on the table, but there's clearly more to things than Formenton holding out for a better offer. If this was a typical RFA holdout situation he'd have been trade long ago.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Wrt Formenton not signing the QO, the deadline for that passed a long time ago, they are only valid for two weeks. Perhaps Ottawa has an open offer on the table, but there's clearly more to things than Formenton holding out for a better offer. If this was a typical RFA holdout situation he'd have been trade long ago.
OK, thanks for the info. I only heard bits of what Garrioch was saying. I guess I should have used the past tense and said that Formenton did not sign his qualifying offer.

The important, main thing or question I had though was "what is the real situation here"? You don't see many RFA's in this situation in general i.e., unsigned this late in the season. Something seems odd and I wonder if they are just not revealing what is really going on. It just seems a little fishy.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Pinto is going to be a much better and more important player. It’s so obvious

is it though? Kaliyev is actually a very hard worker himself, very conscious of his defensive zone despite his youth, and is extremely heavy on the boards. His shot is 40 goal level and is already producing at a top 6 rate despite playing bottom 6 minutes. He is maintaining his star trajectory.

So how is Pinto so next level compared to this guy?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
In case anyone wants more (extended version) on "the" goal:

Giroux got really lucky there with that pass back to Chabot. Could have been a turnover if it wasn't for the Kings player still looking at Chabot even though he passed the puck to Giroux.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
is it though? Kaliyev is actually a very hard worker himself, very conscious of his defensive zone despite his youth, and is extremely heavy on the boards. His shot is 40 goal level and is already producing at a top 6 rate despite playing bottom 6 minutes. He is maintaining his star trajectory.

So how is Pinto so next level compared to this guy?

Pinto wears a Sens jersey and Kaliyev doesn't, that's how.

It's definitely possible Pinto becomes the better player, but to say he's far above Kaliyev is just blatant homerism.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think it's pretty clear that the Senators have chosen to distance themselves from Formenton. I wouldn't be surprised if the decision not to sign him has come from above the hockey ops department.

I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would have simply signed him by now and dealt with the fallout - if any - when it arrives. Dreger suggested as much when he discussed him a few weeks ago.

Feel like there is a good chance we see him traded this week.
I absolutely do not trust Dorion trading Formenton.

I suspect the league is involved behind the scenes with some NHLPA involvement as well. I would not be surprised if the league and NHLPA have already agreed on how to address this matter (including special measures to address the signing deadline and waiting for the police to complete their work).

Watty just crushing dudes like white claws tonight
If he always like that he would always have a place on my team. :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Regarding Pinto, why isn't he used on the PK? We know he can do it. Not like he sees a lot of PP time recently with PP1 taking like 1min30.

NCAA defensive forward of the year 2 years ago. Good on faceoff( you can continue to use Giroux for the faceoff). Smart defensive player with great positionning that his strong and skate well.

Nope, let's use Watson and Kelly... Good team use their best defensive forward on the PK. It's not like our PK is good anyway.

IMO, you go Pinto, Joseph, Motte, Giroux( mostly for faceoff). Greig when called up
Norris when healthy.
They may be trying to control his ice time a bit and keep him fresh for his offensive role. Kelly and Watson are typically good PP guys. Not sure I want Pinto blocking bombs from the point.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Game management in full effect tonight. Our turn.
Those refs are brutal. Motte deserved a cross checking penalty and Quick deserved one too. It makes no sense to call one and not the other! The team should file a complaint against the two refs tonight.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pinto wears a Sens jersey and Kaliyev doesn't, that's how.

It's definitely possible Pinto becomes the better player, but to say he's far above Kaliyev is just blatant homerism.
I dunno, the announcers very clearly mentioned that he has a wicked shot and so is used as the trigger man on the PP, but at ES he plays down the lineup and is not relied on as a difference maker.

Pinto was an excellent pick at our spot regardless so there is no need for regrets no matter what Kaly turns into.

Seems so Ottawa and HFSens to have team fans celebrating themselves for being conservative to down right negative about their own player, while simultaneously sneering at fans who are bullish about their own players and prospects.

Trying to suck the life right out of being a sports fan!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I dunno, the announcers very clearly mentioned that he has a wicked shot and so is used as the trigger man on the PP, but at ES he plays down the lineup and is not relied on as a difference maker.

Pinto was an excellent pick at our spot regardless so there is no need for regrets no matter what Kaly turns into.

Seems so Ottawa and HFSens to have team fans celebrating themselves for being conservative to down right negative about their own player, while simultaneously sneering at fans who are bullish about their own players and prospects.

He plays down the lineup because at RW the Kings have Fiala, Vilardi, Arvidsson and Moore.

Even with one of those guys switching to the left side there's not a lot of room for him to play up in the lineup.

Kaliyev is an elite shooter and should be a 30G threat for most of his career. Pinto looks like a great pick but I wish the Sens staff would make the easy and obvious choice more often. Even when their "reach" picks pan out, the obvious pick would have worked out just as well or better (Peterka is another example).

Reactions: Cosmix

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
They may be trying to control his ice time a bit and keep him fresh for his offensive role. Kelly and Watson are typically good PP guys. Not sure I want Pinto blocking bombs from the point.
Probably some of the worst imo

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It's unbelievable and unfortunate that Bruce Garrioch is on television. There absolutely has to be better options. Also why on earth would any team value Formenton if the sens don't. Makes no sense. Don't let Pierre trade him. Please. Don't let Pierre do anything.

I think it's pretty clear that the Senators have chosen to distance themselves from Formenton. I wouldn't be surprised if the decision not to sign him has come from above the hockey ops department.

I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would have simply signed him by now and dealt with the fallout - if any - when it arrives. Dreger suggested as much when he discussed him a few weeks ago.

Very hard not to feel like something is being covered up here. Why wouldn't Formenton sign a one year contract (Qualifying Offer or whatever it happens to be) and then take another run at a new contract next year? I don't recall many unsigned RFAs this deep into the season. Something is going on & it seems like everyone is trying to avoid talking about it, at least about what is really happening.

Bruce is a card. Have you noticed how often he starts a sentence, then stops and back tracks and starts another sentence. He's not good with verbal communication.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

It always work back to this issue with 'some'. Consistency if nothing else.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

i doubt ottawa made that decision

its probably from the NHL the same they did with that kid that Boston signed

Formenton would have to be cleared by the commish to play in the nhl. Until that happens he probably doesn't sign. It is just weird how they chose to handle it on the DL and lie to the fans when most can see whats happening

Reactions: Dionysus

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Very hard not to feel like something is being covered up here. Why wouldn't Formenton sign a one year contract (Qualifying Offer or whatever it happens to be) and then take another run at a new contract next year? I don't recall many unsigned RFAs this deep into the season. Something is going on & it seems like everyone is trying to avoid talking about it, at least about what is really happening.
Agreed, collusion is occurring between the NHL, NHLPA, the Senators team, & the player/agent.

Reactions: Dionysus

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
i doubt ottawa made that decision

its probably from the NHL the same they did with that kid that Boston signed

Formenton would have to be cleared by the commish to play in the nhl. Until that happens he probably doesn't sign. It is just weird how they chose to handle it on the DL and lie to the fans when most can see whats happening
At this point in time, Formenton does not have to cleared of anything because I don't believe he has been accused/charged in public or by the police of anything. However, he might be one of the named parties under investigation and the only one without a signed contract that has to honoured. I think it is safe to say that multiple lawyers are involved.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He plays down the lineup because at RW the Kings have Fiala, Vilardi, Arvidsson and Moore.

Even with one of those guys switching to the left side there's not a lot of room for him to play up in the lineup.

Kaliyev is an elite shooter and should be a 30G threat for most of his career. Pinto looks like a great pick but I wish the Sens staff would make the easy and obvious choice more often. Even when their "reach" picks pan out, the obvious pick would have worked out just as well or better (Peterka is another example).
Well, I think I disagree that not taking Peterka pick is anything like Choosing Pinto.

To me it looks like you’ve projected Kali to suit your opinion, while understating Pinto who put together a pretty epic College year before coming over and playing well so far as a rookie.

He plays down the lineup because all of those players are better than he is, save for being the shooter on the PP. Lots of room for him to progress over time, but again, who cares? The guy Mann insisted on looks as good a prospect and rookie or better, so what’s the problem here?

In my opinion we are much more in need of a 2 way Center man that we are of a Hoffman type winger.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
At this point in time, Formenton does not have to cleared of anything because I don't believe he has been accused/charged in public or by the police of anything. However, he might be one of the named parties under investigation and the only one without a signed contract that has to honoured. I think it is safe to say that multiple lawyers are involved.
was the boston kid charged with anything? I suspect until the NHL completes their findings they won't let formenton play

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
PK has been about average, we are at 77.11 while league average is 77.7. not convinced Pinto changes it too much, though it probably would help with faceoffs since none of our PK tandems have a natural center.

No reason to have Giroux on the PK imo, when Kastelic is healthy and in the lineup he makes sense, Between him and Pinto we have other options that can win draws if that's specifically what we're looking for.
I was tempted to say Pinto is too slow but the forwards being used are not all quick and fast. :)

was the boston kid charged with anything? I suspect until the NHL completes their findings they won't let formenton play
The NHL league might have taken that position behind the scenes; however, I think the NHLPA would have something to say about that, if not already, then soon due to the signing dates for contracts.

Reactions: HSF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad