Prospect Info: Senators in WJC - Part Zwei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I can’t believe how few Slovaks are drafted. What has happened to their development system?

Lots of huge guys, not a lot of skill.

Perhaps you've asked and answered?

You just don't see the Hossa and Palffy type player being developed there for whatever reason. Even huge players need to learn how to play with and against skill players. Their system seems to have regressed in the last 20 years.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Hirvonen and niemela look so good. Kinda sucks.

Hirvonen certainly isn’t soft despite his size.

Jarventie not even on PP2 is disappointing. At least I saw Jarventie’s sticks in the rack when they panned by the bench so presumably he must be in the building.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Perhaps you've asked and answered?

You just don't see the Hossa and Palffy type player being developed there for whatever reason. Even huge players need to learn how to play with and against skill players. Their system seems to have regressed in the last 20 years.

That’s my question though, they used to develop skill really well, what the heck happened?

Aside from the elite skill like Hossa, Palffy Gaborik, Bondra and Demitra they used to also have the 2nd/3rd line skill guys like Satan, Zednik, Tatar, Svatos, Orzagh, Nagy, Handzus, etc. They also used to at least be able to develop enough defensemen to fill a team. It’s just cratered.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Niemela and Hirvonen look good too :shakehead

Hirvonen looks good but there are still serious questions about how his size and speed combo will play in the NHL.

Finland is getting favourable officiating. Hirvonen should have gotten at least one GI call.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
He has a lot going for him, and his creativity with the puck is certainly part of the appeal. 19 points in 10 World Junior games is impressive, to go along with a productive freshman season at Boston University, and racking up points before that for the USNTDP. He does it with his shiftiness, speed, great hands, vision, and nice shot. Every now and then he’ll go for the highlight reel dangle or crazy pass, but he’s a lot more than just that.

Meh, I have no doubt he'll be a capable NHLer, maybe even a star player, but I think people place way too much emphasis on points in this tournament, at least without looking at context. It's pretty easy to rack up points playing teams like Austria. Against Russia, he had one point. I think Stuetzle getting 3 points in the win against Slovakia is much more impressive than Zegras getting 4 points against Austria. Not to mention, just the eye tests show that Stuetzle's not doing anything out there that he can't get away with doing in the NHL either, while Zegras plays a much more "junior" style game.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Jarventie has been very disappointing this tournament so far for sure.

He’s looked excellent in Liiga play thus far.
What are the major differences in his WJC play vs his Liiga play? Are there any clear things that he was doing in Liiga that he isn't doing here?

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
That’s my question though, they used to develop skill really well, what the heck happened?

Aside from the elite skill like Hossa, Palffy Gaborik, Bondra and Demitra they used to also have the 2nd/3rd line skill guys like Satan, Zednik, Tatar, Svatos, Orzagh, Nagy, Handzus, etc. They also used to at least be able to develop enough defensemen to fill a team. It’s just cratered.

Hockey is becoming way too expensive to play.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Jarventie has been very disappointing this tournament so far for sure.

He’s looked excellent in Liiga play thus far.
Yup he looks slightly confused/behind the play/disengaged so far. Big body, young guy, nothing too seriously worrying.
Is this how he's looked today? I just tuned in now so haven't see him at all this game, just commenting on the previous games.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Most of those guys would have largely developed under the Czechoslovak program. Communists loved dumping money into sports because it could earn them presitege on the world scale. Look at Olympic medal tables from the 50s and 60s and you will see countries like Hungary, Romania, and Poland with top 10 appearances. And unlike Russia or the Czech Republic, Slovakia would have had to develop their own program instead of inheriting one after the collapse of Czechoslovakia. The Czechs have also seen a big drop off, but I do hope that both the Czechs and the Slovaks can become too tier teams again and can be competitive for gold.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Jarventie is invisible I was watching the game for the longest time and turned it off cuz I don’t even think he is playing gonna chalk it up to a young guy playing his first best on best tournament and he uses it as a learning experience

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What are the major differences in his WJC play vs his Liiga play? Are there any clear things that he was doing in Liiga that he isn't doing here?

From what I have seen, the biggest issue is the pace.

World Junior pace is like playoff hockey. It's 110% all the time.

Jarventie doesn't play at 50% most of the time. Kid looks flat out lazy and uninterested compared to his teammates.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
From what I have seen, the biggest issue is the pace.

World Junior pace is like playoff hockey. It's 110% all the time.

Jarventie doesn't play at 50% most of the time. Kid looks flat out lazy and uninterested compared to his teammates.
Slightly worried his game is more suited for the international ice then NHL sized ice.

Reactions: Icelevel

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Looks like he’s been benched since early 2nd period..

Finland spent a lot of time on the PP and had a PK in the 2nd, neither of which Jarventie plays on so that could have something to do with it but I also didn’t see him back on 5 on 5 later in the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad