Prospect Info: Senators in WJC - Part Zwei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I was not the most excited about the Sanderson pick, not because he is not worth it, but because I really thought taking another forward would be the safe choice.

I have back tracked now and think that selecting one of the two highest ranked defensemen was the right choice because it is so hard to find top end defenseman when you are building a contender.

Other teams are willing to give up high end forward talent every year if it means acquiring a top 3 defenseman (see: Marner for Seth Jones rumours).

In addition, it seems much more rare to get lucky and hit on elite defenseman in rounds 3-7, than it is to get lucky and strike gold with a winger for example, in the later rounds.

With that said though I cannot help but think how exciting it would have been to draft a potential #1 center in Lundell though.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Welp, guess he's not a bust anymore. Good thing he pulled out of the tailspin before his career was irreparably damaged :sarcasm:

Gullible Sens fans right now:

Watches Stuetzle against Slovakia- Man did L.A ever screw up drafting Byfield over Timmy!

Watches Byfield vs Switzerland- Man I wish Byfield had dropped to 3rd in the draft! What a beast!

Watches Stuetzle vs Switzerland- Boy are we ever lucky L.A decided to go with Byfield at #2! Stuetzle could be the best of the draft!

Reactions: OperationHotMother

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I watched full game and he wasn't dominant. The only impressive play was the last goal's steal and deft pass. That was like getting 6 points in an all-star game. He played well but nothing made me say "that's a top end prospect play".

Gullible Sens fans right now:

Watches Stuetzle against Slovakia- Man did L.A ever screw up drafting Byfield over Timmy!

Watches Byfield vs Switzerland- Man I wish Byfield had dropped to 3rd in the draft! What a beast!

Watches Stuetzle vs Switzerland- Boy are we ever lucky L.A decided to go with Byfield at #2! Stuetzle could be the best of the draft!

No one has said this. Why add pessimism to an imaginary situation?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You know who’s skating doesn’t look bad, because it never was and seemed to only be an issue on this board..Marco Rossi’s
No one actually said it was bad, maybe you should go re read the posts. He doesn't have dynamic top end speed. That hasn't changed. I guess this is your first time watching him?

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I watched full game and he wasn't dominant. The only impressive play was the last goal's steal and deft pass. That was like getting 6 points in an all-star game. He played well but nothing made me say "that's a top end prospect play".

No one has said this. Why add pessimism to an imaginary situation?
6'4, skates like that, scoring golas on tips out of the air and one timers, with elite puck handling while producing 6 points in a WJC game and he doesn't have top end prospect potential.... yikes.

Then you follow it up with 'why add pessimism' . Haha that's really something.

Reactions: TheDebater

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
6'4, skates like that, scoring golas on tips out of the air and one timers, with elite puck handling while producing 6 points in a WJC game and he doesn't have top end prospect potential.... yikes.

Are you ok, bud? You seem a bit on edge recently. I never said potential. He has definite top line elite potential. I said play.. as in that specific game. I didnt see a play that made me think wow top 3 prospect play.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Serious question, if there was a re-draft of 2019 right this moment, is Thomson even selected? Where does he realistically end up? 6th round maybe?

Its obviously too early to call it but there are so many red flags around the player, its hard to believe him having a pro career if he doesn't take massive steps in his development.

Feels a bit harsh - his pro career has already pretty much started. What’s flags are you worried about ? We will see him in BVegas shortly.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No one actually said it was bad, maybe you should go re read the posts. He doesn't have dynamic top end speed. That hasn't changed. I guess this is your first time watching him?
No lol. Seen him play a few times. His skating has never been a problem to me at all.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Every list I saw prior to that draft had Heinola way higher than Thomson. Dorion tried too hard to be the smartest guy in the room.

Yeah I agree with that, it feels like Dorion is often "trying too hard". He should maybe "play it safe" sometimes but it seems really focused on finding the next Pinto, Batherson, Formenton... Guys that you didn't see coming (however we don't even know how good they'll be yet)

Let's look at this list, which is an average of 14 "popular" sources for pre-draft rankings

We looked at 14 sources to come up with EOTP’s Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

Prospects that were still available where we picked (19th OA)

- 17th OA : KALIYEV, ARTHUR --> Taken 33rd OA by LA
- 19th OA : TOMASINO, PHILIP --> Taken 24th OA by NAS
- 20th OA : SUZUKI, RYAN --> Taken 28th OA by CAR
- 21st OA : LAVOIE, RAPHAEL --> Taken 38th OA by EDM
- 22nd OA : BRINK, BOBBY --> Taken 34th OA by PHI
- 23rd OA : HEINOLA, VILLE --> Taken 20th OA by WIN
- 25th OA : HOGLANDER, NILS --> Taken 40th OA by VAN
- 26th OA : POULIN, SAMUEL --> Taken 21st OA by PIT
- 27th OA : MCMICHAEL, CONNOR --> Taken 25th OA by WAS
- 28th OA : ROBERTSON, NICHOLAS --> Taken 53th OA by TOR
- 29th OA : DOROFEYEV, PAVEL --> Taken 79th OA by VEG
- 30th OA : PELLETIER, JAKOB --> Taken 26th OA by CGY
- 31st OA : ROBERTSON, MATTHEW --> Taken 49th OA by NYR
- 32nd OA : BJORNFOT, TOBIAS --> Taken 22nd OA by LA
- 33rd OA : JOHNSON, RYAN --> Taken 31st OA by BUF
- 34th OA : LEASON, BRETT --> Taken 56th OA by WAS
- 35th OA : THOMSON, LASSI --> Taken 19th OA by OTT

The guy I wish we would have drafted is Tomasino. Ville Heinola, Tobias Bjornfot or Connor McMichael too. There's also several that might have been a better bet too but it's still very early. Let's see how Thomson looks in the AHL

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
This Zegras kid is getting mighty overrated. These dumb spin passes and putting the puck through defender's legs rarely work in the NHL.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Congrats, he got 6/7 of his points in one game against a team full of beer leaguers. What was he doing the rest of the tournament?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No lol. Seen him play a few times. His skating has never been a problem to me at all.
It's only going to be an issue if he is unable to create separation at his size as he is small. I hope he makes it I am just a little skeptical due to his size and lack of top end speed. Amazing hockey sense, compete and vision.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Congrats, he got 6/7 of his points in one game against a team full of beer leaguers. What was he doing the rest of the tournament?
I guess it doesn't matter because by your definition he has only played against 'beer leaguers'. Such disrespect to so many guys that are probably gonna get paid to play the sport.

Why the hatred? I don't get it.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I guess it doesn't matter because by your definition he has only played against 'beer leaguers'. Such disrespect to so many guys that are probably gonna get paid to play the sport.

Why the hatred? I don't get it.

Theres too much hate in the world. Can't we hope both guys hit the potential they have? NHL would be better off for it.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
This Zegras kid is getting mighty overrated. These dumb spin passes and putting the puck through defender's legs rarely work in the NHL.

He has a lot going for him, and his creativity with the puck is certainly part of the appeal. 19 points in 10 World Junior games is impressive, to go along with a productive freshman season at Boston University, and racking up points before that for the USNTDP. He does it with his shiftiness, speed, great hands, vision, and nice shot. Every now and then he’ll go for the highlight reel dangle or crazy pass, but he’s a lot more than just that.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lots of guys taken way later as well.
Yeah. But I I can’t fault them for picking Thomson over something guy in the late second or third that broke out. But like... all the guys taken right right right after that almost immediately look better. Cmon Mann. Get it.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So i missed the game yesterday. How did Byfield actually look? I read the boxscore so i know that, but was this a case of him looking dominant or a case of looking at the scoresheet when it was over and wondering how he ended up with 6 points?

I get that the world junior is a big money making event but there are teams that don't belong on the same ice as one another as certain scores attest to. It'd be better as a 6 team but that = less games which = less money

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad