Prospect Info: Senators in WJC - Part Zwei

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
But on the other hand there could be a lot of egos and guys upset they arent playing as big a role as theyre used too. All these guys are used to being the go to guy.
Don’t think that’s ever been the case for Canada at the World Juniors, can’t remember a single time any player sulked or complained in the past 20 years. Guys just do what’s asked of them, getting in that team, for the 2 weeks a year, is a dream of every kid growing up playing hockey.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Don’t think that’s ever been the case for Canada at the World Juniors, can’t remember a single time any player sulked or complained in the past 20 years. Guys just do what’s asked of them, getting in that team, for the 2 weeks a year, is a dream of every kid growing up playing hockey.

I remember Jonathan Bernier sulking hard when he lost his starters job.

Im just saying its not as easy as 'theyre all 1st rounders so its not hard'

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think some people just want the feeling of instant gratification with drafting "popular names" as opposed to being patient and having some faith in the team's scouting. For example I bet people would be thrilled if our draft had looked like:

3. Stützle
5. Drysdale
28. Peterka
33. Gunler
44. Faber/Mysak

And this WJC would have reinforced their beliefs.

Edit: I forgot to quote some posts but this discussion was going on somewhere around page 33-34.

Reactions: Deku

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I think some people just want the feeling of instant gratification with drafting "popular names" as opposed to being patient and having some faith in the team's scouting. For example I bet people would be thrilled if our draft had looked like:

3. Stützle
5. Drysdale
28. Peterka
33. Gunler
44. Faber/Mysak

And this WJC would have reinforced their beliefs.

Edit: I forgot to quote some posts but this discussion was going on somewhere around page 33-34.

Why should I have faith in the scouting staff?

I’m not saying I don’t, and I’m not saying I do, but I’m just curious if you, or anybody else, can actually explain to me why I should trust that Dorion and company are capable of drafting the necessary players to build a Stanley Cup contending team.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Why should I have faith in the scouting staff?

I’m not saying I don’t, and I’m not saying I do, but I’m just curious if you, or anybody else, can actually explain to me why I should trust that Dorion and company are capable of drafting the necessary players to build a Stanley Cup contending team.

That has nothing much to do with their argument. Their argument is not that Dorion & Co are right, but that we have no reason to believe that performance at the WJC, (e.x) Scouching, Wheeler, or the scouts of Bob McKenzie have particularly strong predictive power - especially in these strange times. More succinctly, their point would be that judging who will have the best draft on who has the best players 1 day or 6 months out is not an effective strategy, unless your goal is instant gratification.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That has nothing much to do with their argument. Their argument is not that Dorion & Co are right, but that we have no reason to believe that performance at the WJC, (e.x) Scouching, Wheeler, or the scouts of Bob McKenzie have particularly strong predictive power - especially in these strange times. More succinctly, their point would be that judging who will have the best draft on who has the best players 1 day or 6 months out is not an effective strategy, unless your goal is instant gratification.
Pretty much

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The only overreacting in this thread has been the overreaction to the reaction of jarventie poor play.

he’s had a bad tournament. Even his own coaches agree. That’s it. Some in this thread really liked peterka. So yeah. It’s at LEAST a little bit of validation for those people I bet it’s validation for those pro scouts that had peterka ahead of jarventie on their lists as well, as I’m sure there were some. No one thinks he’s gonna be bad because of a bad 6 games here. But he has been bad. Terrible even.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The only overreacting in this thread has been the overreaction to the reaction of jarventie poor play.

he’s had a bad tournament. Even his own coaches agree. That’s it. Some in this thread really liked peterka. So yeah. It’s at LEAST a little bit of validation for those people I bet it’s validation for those pro scouts that had peterka ahead of jarventie on their lists as well, as I’m sure there were some. No one thinks he’s gonna be bad because of a bad 6 games here. But he has been bad. Terrible even.

He fired a few lazars, missed the net etc. He can move he just needs the game to slow down for him -
Hopefully U20 2.0 goes better for him.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

No disagreement that Jarventie has sucked and that Peterka played great, but, by that token, Jarventie's play in Liiga is also justification for picking him high. I'm not saying don't discuss these things, or express preference. I havent seen people saying Jarventie is a bust because of a bad 6 games, but if they did that would be stupid. Saying Peterka is gonna be a good NHLer and we totally whiffed not picking him on the basis of his play this tournament, imo, is similarly silly.

Either way, its not my argument and I didnt really check the context... but, standing on its own two feet, the original point has nothing to do with Dorion & Co

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

I actually wanted Peterka too, but I can definitely see why Dorion and the scouts passed on him for Jarventie. In fact I would wager that it was probably a close debate between Dorion, Mann and the scouts deliberating between Peterka and Jarventie, and who knows if Dorion got his guy or put his faith in the scouts (or vice versa)?

In my opinion I thought we would go Peterka at 28, meaning we could still have had Jarventie at 33, so the real debate is going to be the one that takes place once we have a good read on the type of player Greig is.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No disagreement that Jarventie has sucked and that Peterka played great, but, by that token, Jarventie's play in Liiga is also justification for picking him high. I'm not saying don't discuss these things, or express preference.

Either way, its not my argument and I didnt really check the context... but, standing on its own two feet, the original point has nothing to do with Dorion & Co
I’m not saying we weren’t justified in picking him lol. He’s just played like ass in this tournament.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Did Mark Stone even make the roster for Canada in his first year of eligibility? Roby is most definitely a bust but just for some context

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
The bigger miss at this point is definitely Faber. The guys looking amazing. If Kleven becomes a top 4 I'd rather him because thats essentially a Jake Muzzin and those guys are invaluable in the playoffs. But if hes just a 5-6 kind of guy then Faber is a massive miss.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The bigger miss at this point is definitely Faber. The guys looking amazing. If Kleven becomes a top 4 I'd rather him because thats essentially a Jake Muzzin and those guys are invaluable in the playoffs. But if hes just a 5-6 kind of guy then Faber is a massive miss.

Looks OK for an 18 year old dman. He’s playing ahead of 18 year old Kleven.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Man Beniers would be great on the Sens. I know we have a couple of these kind of players. But his competitiveness is unreal. Him on a line with Tkachuk or Stuetzle would be fire.

R2010

May 23, 2011

Yeah I've been thinking the same. Faber has looked real good - Kleven isn't playing. Paterka has looked real good - Jarventie has not. Too early to tell of course but i've liked both players better at this point. That *does not* mean I think Kleven or Jarventie were bad picks. I don't see it necessarily as a miss at this point. Now the Thomson pick in 2019 over *all these* great players is a huge miss. Shockingly bad evaluation at this point.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Yeah I've been thinking the same. Faber has looked real good - Kleven isn't playing. Paterka has looked real good - Jarventie has not. Too early to tell of course but i've liked both players better at this point. That *does not* mean I think Kleven or Jarventie were bad picks. I don't see it necessarily as a miss at this point. Now the Thomson pick in 2019 over *all these* great players is a huge miss. Shockingly bad evaluation at this point.
Meh still way too early. Lassi is young and D take a while to develop. Think of guys like Harmonic and how long he took to figure things out in NY to the point where he was mentioned as a top D. Guys like that take a while. He may just become a Ceci or something else, which is fine too. We always need cheaper guys to fill out the bottom pairing. As long as he can do something, like make a big hit and then bobble the puck he can still be useful. Regardless we have too many D prospects anyway so some will bust and some will surprise. At the same draft we got a late round pick (cant remember his name) who is surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad