Senators Development Camp 2018

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wow tkatchuk does not shut the f*** up lmao it’s amazing.

Thought in him so far. The only time I’m like wtf is cuz he looks lethargic. And he will bobble something. But that isn’t his game. So you have to remind yourself that it’s just dev camp. He has an unbelievable touch on the puck. Trying to think of a comparable. He receives the puck and then all of a sudden it’s on a teammates stick.

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Wow tkatchuk does not shut the **** up lmao it’s amazing.

Thought in him so far. The only time I’m like wtf is cuz he looks lethargic. And he will bobble something. But that isn’t his game. So you have to remind yourself that it’s just dev camp. He has an unbelievable touch on the puck. Trying to think of a comparable. He receives the puck and then all of a sudden it’s on a teammates stick.

Would love a detailed breakdown of key prospects if you are there!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Didn’t see much of brown and batherson in that broadcast. I mean they physically were not shown much.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Black vs Red in the final. Black defeated Green in a shootout

Black wins on a Chlapik goal 1-0

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Would love a detailed breakdown of key prospects if you are there!
I’m watching the sens twitter broadcast. I think it’s already happened lmao so I’m watching an old feed. I will give my thoughts.

Reactions: DJB

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So I watched about 1 hour ten minutes.

I will comment on the guys I noticed.

I’ll mention brown because I seriously do not think he was shown on screen lol. That’s not a shot at him. I didn’t see him.

Note: during the final it literally looked like a smoke bomb went off at ice level

Batherson: I saw in the final. I like that he’s not afraid to flex some creative muscle. Hopefully sens dev team try to nurture that and don’t try to kill it.

Bernard docker: guys, and girls, this kid is good. He’s got this demeanor where he’s always going to make the easy play, until he doesn’t. A few times he’s just lulling the opposing 3 and then he makes like a quick decision and fools 2 of them and all of a sudden it’s a 2/3 on 1 on goal.

Tychonik: he’s go go go. Pretty much every tool you could want is there though and he seems to have the tool box. NCAA is the perfect play to sharpen the tools.

Tkatchuk: like I said. He looks lethargic out there. But I know that’s not his game so I’m not worried. Honestly didn’t look good in the final. But I mean if we had zadina and his shot didn’t look good in a scrimmage, would we be worried? No because we KNOW he can shoot the puck. The smarts are there he wasn’t getting himself into bad spots. He likes to drive to the outside and hold the stick with one hand keeping the d man away. Won’t be so easy at the NHL level. He’s a lot more cerebral than people give credit. Very different from his brother Matthew.

Aspirot (spelling? Number 76): I like him. Did what he wanted. Held on to the puck didn’t constantly make the easy play. Sometimes that’s hard for lesser known guys they’re scared of making a mistake. Not this kid. I might be. The minority but I like that quality in my prospects.

Chase Stewart: same thing. Made some punches that kept plays alive. Some coaches might hate it though.

Lajoie: he’s probably on the team next year if not after the deadline this year when we move some guys (if). Relatively polished. Edge work good. Changes direction at ease as clearly build up some strength.

White: looks like Crosby relative to the competition at camp.

Chlapik: best player after white and lajoie. He’s clearly earned some respect from the other guys at the camp. They’re constantly looking for him when they have the puck.

Gruden: with the guys above, they SHOULD look better than everyone else. Gruden shouldn’t. But he did. Quick. Darty. Control of the puck.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Did not see this game but go Forms.

Yeah men neithersome are also saying they saw nurmi score four straight off batherson passes. They must have been at the event because that wasn’t shown. There was another game going on at the other end at all times. That’s where all this must have happened. I think the crew tried to show tkatchuk as much as possible

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah men neithersome are also saying they saw nurmi score four straight off batherson passes. They must have been at the event because that wasn’t shown. There was another game going on at the other end at all times. That’s where all this must have happened. I think the crew tried to show tkatchuk as much as possible
Yah Team Red (Batherson, Nurmi et al) had a high score at the other end one game... Too bad we didn't get both ends filmed.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just got back from the last scrimmage of the development camp & here are some observations. I was at one side of the rink so I didn't get to see what was happening on the other side & didn't get to see as many players as I had hoped. This is the first time that I can remember where the glass was so fogged up so at times it was hard to see at our end & next to impossible at the other end.

Colin White C - as I'm sure most of you are aware he was the best all around player at camp as we should have expected. He just looks very polished & definately NHL ready & does everything well especially defensively, good playmaker & just looks really smart out there.

Filip Chlapik C/LW - I initially thought there was more separation between White & Chlapik but I now think they are a lot closer than I thought. White is slightly better defensively & cerebral (hockey IQ) & Chlapik is slightly better offensively with a slightly better shot. His shot to win the tournament was right in front of me & went top left corner which had a 6"X6" triangle opening that he perfectly placed, very good hard accurate wrist shot.

Christian Wolanin LD - this guy also looks NHL ready as we saw at the end of last season. He played a shift with Formenton & Novak (dark horse who could really become a good player), these three had a great couple of shifts where they scored a few goals on Daccord I think it was. Wolanin seemed to be controlling the play & Formenton was creating havoc around the net & they made a nice pass to Novak who scored I think two in a row right around the goal. These three were really good together.

Drake Batherson C/RW - this guy made the play of the morning from what I seen with a good rush from the left side, cut in the middle to beat Wolanin I think & then beat the goalie for a beautiful rush & goal. He's gonna be a beauty. :thumbu:

Brady Tkachuk LW - while at times he looks like he is floating or relaxing when he decides to go he can move quickly & he has excellent vision & also seems to be a smart player. He's a good playmaker & made a couple of really nice passes through players for a nice scoring opportunity. Didn't shoot as much as I was hoping but he is often looking for the open man & he didn't go to the front of the net as much as I thought we would see. I expect him to return to college.

Maxime Lajoie LD - this is another guy we don't hear much of but he looked really good IMO. He's more of an offensive defenceman by the looks of it since he carries the puck with ease & players were often chasing him trying to take the puck from him which he does not give up easily. IMO Ottawa has a player in this guy & he could be up sooner rather than later. Good puck/stick handler, good shot & finds the open man with some nice passes almost effortlessly it seems.

Marcus Nurmi RW - very big guy, skates really well & just as I said at last yr's development camp you can see this yr that this guy has some offensive ability & IMO could have moved ahead of Gabrielle Gagne on their RW depth chart. While I doubt he is a top 6 player (I don't rule it out either) I think he would be a valuable bottom six player who can put up some numbers. I like his game a lot, not much of a physical guy but has good hands around the net.

Jakov Novak LW - this is my dark horse from this latest draft & from D-camp. This guy has good size, good speed & just seems to get to the right spot at the right time. Along with Wolanin & Formenton they seemed to dominate one game where Novak had at least two goals. I think they just might have a player in this guy & we should keep an eye on his development. I didn't get a very good look at any of the other 2018 draftees or I didn't see them do anything worth mentioning that I can recall.

Honourable Mention - If Belleville needs an enforcer I could see them signing Chase Stewart, he looks like one. I thought Team Gold was the better team but Team Black (Tkachuck's team) ended up winning it all this morning. Hopefully, others got a better look at other players I missed, the place was full this morning to my surprise & all the glass in every rink was fogged over from the heat outside I assume. They had to squeegee the glass every now & them so we could see a little better.

Last edited:

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Thanks to all who posted reports. I love reading them. I regret not making it to either the 5 on 5 or the 3 on 3. I will attending the rookie tournament in Sept! What happened to Englund?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
35-45 points should be a reasonable prediction.

White hasn't shown the offensive flair to project 50 + points. It could happen if he becomes faster and stronger, but right now he doesn't have the hands, vision or shot to carry his frame.

The only thing I agree with in this post is that White may not get 50 pts, at least not in his first season mostly because I expect him to play a 3rd line checking role in his first yr anyway. I always think that point projections are too exaggerated on here. The rest of this post though IMO is nonsense. From what i have seen at this camp White has excellent hands & is a better playmaker than I thought. He's clearly a cerebral player & has very good vision to make some of the plays he made. And what does that even mean that he doesn't have the hands, vision or shot to carry his frame? What does vision, hands or shot have to do with his frame? I don't get it?

How was Gagne this camp?

Sadly, very unnoticeable, for me anyway.

If I had to pick a prospect to hit a best case scenario it probably wouldn’t be Gagne
Agree, IMO Nurmi has passed him on the depth chart at RW with his camp this yr, but I have to remember this is just a D-Camp. We'll have to see if he can follow up this coming season with another good yr like he had last yr in Belleville.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The only thing I agree with in this post is that White may not get 50 pts, at least not in his first season mostly because I expect him to play a 3rd line checking role in his first yr anyway. I always think that point projections are too exaggerated on here. The rest of this post though IMO is nonsense. From what i have seen at this camp White has excellent hands & is a better playmaker than I thought. He's clearly a cerebral player & has very good vision to make some of the plays he made. And what does that even mean that he doesn't have the hands, vision or shot to carry his frame? What does vision, hands or shot have to do with his frame? I don't get it?

Sadly, very unnoticeable, for me anyway.

Agree, IMO Nurmi has passed him on the depth chart at RW with his camp this yr, but I have to remember this is just a D-Camp. We'll have to see if he can follow up this coming season with another good yr like he had last yr in Belleville.
It did look like he was skating pretty well in camp.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Thanks to all who posted reports. I love reading them. I regret not making it to either the 5 on 5 or the 3 on 3. I will attending the rookie tournament in Sept! What happened to Englund?
I think because he has spent two full seasons in the AHL (pro-league) that it was no longer required that he attend this camp.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Does anyone else think that Nurmi might be a better option than Pyatt/McCormick at 4th line RW?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

if White is to succeed in a top 6 role at the nhl level he needs to be able to protect the puck well. His hands and speed aren't good enough for him to do that against NHLers so he is going to have to work on his strength and his boardplay.

Also i'm not saying that White has bad hands or speed or vision. He is a very well rounded player. Someone who is going to be able to be inserted into all 4 lines. But right now I don't see him translating into a playdriver with such such an average puck possession game (against NHlers).

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad