Senators Development Camp 2018

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Nothing ive seen in his game shows me a consistent nhl producer.

White is going to be as good as Fisher? I dont see that either. Fisher was way faster and stronger with a much heavier and harder shot. I see whites peak being a Darcy Tucker type. He needs to start being a real pest like in the WJC or he is going to end up a journyman grinder. There are no elite aspects of his game.

Could not disagree with you more, honestly. I think you're really underselling his hockey IQ at this point. There's a reason some of our NHL players like this kids skill set so much, watching his games with Duchene to end the year you could see that he's always in the right place. This guy is more in the Alfie mold than Tucker, imo. He's been roughly PPG at every level up until he turned pro, and I wouldn't be overly suprised if he puts up near PPG level numbers if he plays the whole year in the AHL (he'll 100% get NHL games in though, but point remains).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Could not disagree with you more, honestly. I think you're really underselling
his hockey IQ at this point. There's a reason some of our NHL players like this kids skill set so much, watching his games with Duchene to end the year you could see that he's always in the right place. This guy is more in the Alfie mold than Tucker, imo. He's been roughly PPG at every level up until he turned pro, and I wouldn't be overly suprised if he puts up near PPG level numbers if he plays the whole year in the AHL (he'll 100% get NHL games in though, but point remains).

Tucker was a very good player in the NHL. He had 4 20+ goal seasons and 5 10+ goal seasons while being an incredible pest and physical player.

If you think he is closer to Alfie than Tucker I think you will be disappointed, Alfie is a hall of fame level player that won the calder.... White has had a hard time sticking in the league thus far on a bad team. I hope that White gets to a Tucker level player, there is no part of White's game that is elite from an offensive stand point. Skating, stick handling, play making puck control etc. He is good because he does have good instincts and hockey sense I agree, he goes to the dirty areas too. White plays well with skill players but isn't a line driver by any means. Tucker scored at 2 ppg in jr too fyi, maybe you just are unfamiliar with the player? He had over 200 NHL goals and just under 500 NHL points. That's a heck of a player to be compared to if you take into account his physicality and ability to take the opposition off their games. The more engaged Tucker was physically the more he produced. I think White is very similar in that regard, if you see him getting under the other teams skin the better he plays. Hence why I think its a decent comparison.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

How was browns skating and strength? Does he look any faster or stronger?

Brown's skating is a lot like Spezza's.
Long, powerful strides. So he's moving quick but looking like he's not expending much effort. Hopefully fans appreciate this and don't harp on him like they did with Spezza.

He looked huge compared to most other players in camp. Summer of more gym time and I think he makes the team out of training camp.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Sens is the worst team in the league right now and White will probably not make the team. There is nothing elite in his game at all. Brown is just lazy like f.... And plays like he does not care. He will not make the team either.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sens is the worst team in the league right now and White will probably not make the team. There is nothing elite in his game at all. Brown is just lazy like f.... And plays like he does not care. He will not make the team either.

They could use a few Russians, am I right?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Will you retract your statements if one (or both) make the team? I don't really see a scenario where White doesn't make it at this point.

Reactions: Deku

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Sens is the worst team in the league right now and White will probably not make the team. There is nothing
elite in his game at all. Brown is just lazy like f.... And plays like he does not care. He will not make the team either.

lol stop trolling.

Are you the one that said Tkachuk is Chris Neils replacement?

Reactions: derriko and Deku

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa

I agree with this statement. And although some fans make our prospects out to be bonafide stars, reality is that we have a tone of average players and no real standouts. Other teams are out there acquiring real talent even within their own given budget. Drafting much better players and not always focusing on "character guys" and "two-way players". Prospects are just prospects.

All due to an incompetent GM who can't make a decent trade or sign a good contract. Players want to leave and other's don't want to come. Just looking at PD makes me cringe.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
lol stop trolling.

Are you the one that said Tkachuk is Chris Neils replacement?
He's the one that said Chabot was a wasted pick and the next Brian Lee because their shot was similar and that Colin White was a wasted pick because our other Americans picked in the 1st round were traded.

So yes, a hack

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's the one that said Chabot was a wasted pick and the next Brian Lee because their shot was similar and that Colin White was a wasted pick because our other Americans picked in the 1st round were traded.

So yes, a hack

Just ask him how well Petr Schastlivy, Ilya Zubov, Alexei Kaigorodov, Ruslan Bashkirov and Kirill Lyamin worked out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The artical mentions Summers and the fact he wasn't signed -- given the guys production last season, it seems strange to me he didn't get a contract. Anyone have any insight on this?

They mention that there may be off ice issues ... I really do not know of any or any reason why they would not have signed him.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Brown's skating is a lot like Spezza's.
Long, powerful strides. So he's moving quick but looking like he's not expending much effort. Hopefully fans appreciate this and don't harp on him like they did with Spezza.

He looked huge compared to most other players in camp. Summer of more gym time and I think he makes the team out of training camp.

Spezza is a decent comparable for Brown's style of play; however, I have never seen Brown stickhandle the puck and skate as well as Spezza. He has not demonstrated the high end offensive skills that Spezza did.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They mention that there may be off ice issues ... I really do not know of any or any reason why they would not have signed him.

I wonder what those "off-ice issues" are. There are so many options to choose from and no info or facts to consider.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tucker was a very good player in the NHL. He had 4 20+ goal seasons and 5 10+ goal seasons while being an incredible pest and physical player.

If you think he is closer to Alfie than Tucker I think you will be disappointed, Alfie is a hall of fame level player that won the calder.... White has had a hard time sticking in the league thus far on a bad team. I hope that White gets to a Tucker level player, there is no part of White's game that is elite from an offensive stand point. Skating, stick handling, play making puck control etc. He is good because he does have good instincts and hockey sense I agree, he goes to the dirty areas too. White plays well with skill players but isn't a line driver by any means. Tucker scored at 2 ppg in jr too fyi, maybe you just are unfamiliar with the player? He had over 200 NHL goals and just under 500 NHL points. That's a heck of a player to be compared to if you take into account his physicality and ability to take the opposition off their games. The more engaged Tucker was physically the more he produced. I think White is very similar in that regard, if you see him getting under the other teams skin the better he plays. Hence why I think its a decent comparison.
I respect your opinion but could not disagree more with this post. First, White had a very good chance of making this team at the beginning of last yr, which was his first yr attempting to make the team in his first full time professional season, until he broke his arm & was out for quite a while.

When he returned (months later) the smart move was to let him get his timing & stamina back in Belleville & he ended the yr in Ottawa, again in his first full time pro season. So NO White has not had a hard time sticking in the league & if you think that, you are completely mistaken & a silly thing to say because it's only been one yr & he was injured for most of it. This will be his 2nd professional season coming up this fall & from all indications he has a very good chance of making the team full time, if he can stay healthy. Health was the issue, not an inability to stick.

I don't see the Tucker comparison either & IMO that would be his floor. I see White as a 200' two way player, a good centre who will likely someday take a lot of important draws & play against the other team's best offensive players. I wouldn't call him a pest but more of a very good defensive player but he also has some very good offensive skills. He's got excellent vision & is a good playmaker & while his shot isn't dynamic he could be another guy that scores a lot of goals around or in front of the net. More likely he should get a lot more assists than goals setting up his teammates. I think he will be a better offensive version of Pageau tbh or a better defensive version of Turris. We'll see but that comment about a hard time sticking in the league is way off & completely inaccurate IMO.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I respect your opinion but could not disagree more with this post. First, White had a very good chance of making this team at the beginning of last yr, which was his first yr attempting to make the team in his first full time professional season, until he broke his arm & was out for quite a while.

When he returned (months later) the smart move was to let him get his timing & stamina back in Belleville & he ended the yr in Ottawa, again in his first full time pro season. So NO White has not had a hard time sticking in the league & if you think that, you are completely mistaken & a silly thing to say because it's only been one yr & he was injured for most of it. This will be his 2nd professional season coming up this fall & from all indications he has a very good chance of making the team full time, if he can stay healthy. Health was the issue, not an inability to stick.

I don't see the Tucker comparison either & IMO that would be his floor. I see White as a 200' two way player, a good centre who will likely someday take a lot of important draws & play against the other team's best offensive players. I wouldn't call him a pest but more of a very good defensive player but he also has some very good offensive skills. He's got excellent vision & is a good playmaker & while his shot isn't dynamic he could be another guy that scores a lot of goals around or in front of the net. More likely he should get a lot more assists than goals setting up his teammates. I think he will be a better offensive version of Pageau tbh or a better defensive version of Turris. We'll see but that comment about a hard time sticking in the league is way off & completely inaccurate IMO.

Colin White had 2 goals and 6 points in 21 games. He didn't stick nor did he produce, while yes I agree he needed to go down due to injury and conditioning he was sent down several times after being called up. Which in my opinion was the right thing to do for his development its not a bad thing, he needs to develop. I want him to be a good player like all of us, but the expectations of what he will become seem way out of wack with what he has shown. While at the same time I believe that Tucker is being massively underrated in this thread. He was a better player than Pageau and is likely on pace to score at a very similar career rate as Turris. So my hopes for White are fairly high considering.

The best I have ever seen White play is in the WJC when he was a major pest and he played on the wing. He scored dirty goals, finished his checks and was terrible to play against. Thats what I want him to be in the NHL, I dont see the creativity or vision to be a play making centerman. To me he looks like a great complimentary player to an elite center like Duchene who likes to grind. White has generally scored slightly less goals than assists when he was at BU and in the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad