GDT: Senators @ Blues - Dads and Lads Edition - 7:00pm - City TV

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I only watched the condensed game this morning rather than the full game.

Can someone explain to me why Anderson was apparently bad? Obviously, it's impossible to get the full story from the condensed game because they only show 10 minutes of highlights. There didn't look to be any real bad goals. His save percentage was good. I guess maybe he could have tracked the shot from the point better? The last goal was iffy, but it was controversial for a reason. 9/10 times the refs would have blown that as covered.

I'm not saying he had a good game, I don't know because I didn't watch the full game. But I'd be curious to hear reasons why he had a bad one.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Can someone explain to me why Anderson was apparently bad? Obviously, it's impossible to get the full story from the condensed game because they only show 10 minutes of highlights. There didn't look to be any real bad goals. His save percentage was good. I guess maybe he could have tracked the shot from the point better? The last goal was iffy, but it was controversial for a reason. 9/10 times the refs would have blown that as covered.

I'm not saying he had a good game, I don't know because I didn't watch the full game. But I'd be curious to hear reasons why he had a bad one.

I think people need someone to blame. No other reason.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

It’s the same posters who don’t like Anderson saying the same thing after each loss with him in net. Nothing more (for the most part).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I’m not saying Anderson is a bad goalie technically, but I don’t think the team olayd it’s best hockey in front of him. When you look at his time here - Hamburglar, Condon and a combo of Bishop/Lehner got us into the playoffs 3 of those seasons, so that’s a good starting point to look at how the team plays in front of different goalies.

Gerber cape to Ottawa with skill, but the team played like doo-doo in front of him af they played with an intensity and confidence when Emery took the net.

It’s not that Andy is a bad goalie, I just don’t think his jive and the team jive are on the same wavelength.

Nilsson seems Calmer in net and the team seems more organized with his help handling the puck. He’s not facing 49 shots a game, but I just like his crease presence, he seems to play a calmer game and deal with traffics better then andy.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Putting the first goal against on Andy is nonsense.
I got a laugh from that as well. Soft play from Tierney and Tkachuk result in elite goal scorer getting grade A chance from grade A location and finishes with a grade A top corner shot. Few goaltenders are making that stop. Can't let lose guys like Tarasenko in that spot of the ice off a draw, that's the fault of the guys in front of him 100%.

Reactions: ThreePosts

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Watched the highlights of that last goal. Ref was in no position to see what happened, so it's hard to fault him, but man, that's a frozen play pretty much every time.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Watched the highlights of that last goal. Ref was in no position to see what happened, so it's hard to fault him, but man, that's a frozen play pretty much every time.

I wonder if motion sensors in pucks could help minimize this. You know it's going to happen eventually.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
What is a normal defenseman

I feel like our standards are lowered if we’re amazed at our defenseman can make good breakout passes. It’s like we’re too stuck in the Sens bubble and this impresses us now, meanwhile I’m watching the Calgary Flames play good hockey as well as other teams.

Just perspective is all, I think we all get stuck in Sens tunnel vision.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ottawas had some of the best D of the last 2 generations.

Chara is a HOF

Karlsson and Chabot both heading towards HOF careers.

Throw Olympian Redden, the manliest man to ever play D in Big Anton Volchenkov, good in the corners Phillips.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree he is usually pretty good at it but not doing that led to a goal last night …..and for that Boucher is likely to sit him
Probably right on Boucher; but its not like the other Dmen have not had their share of screw ups.
I still think the initial pass where he head manned it to Ceci was accurate and could very easily have been made successfully if Ceci had an inkling the pass might come to him. Later in the sequence the puck bounced on him and he tried to recover but had to reach and didn't clear it off the boards. Its a mistake or series of them in that sequence but you need to be able to learn from mistakes when your developing. Asking a rookie Dman to be mistake free is asking a lot.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Probably right on Boucher; but its not like the other Dmen have not had their share of screw ups.
I still think the initial pass where he head manned it to Ceci was accurate and could very easily have been made successfully if Ceci had an inkling the pass might come to him. Later in the sequence the puck bounced on him and he tried to recover but had to reach and didn't clear it off the boards. Its a mistake or series of them in that sequence but you need to be able to learn from mistakes when your developing. Asking a rookie Dman to be mistake free is asking a lot.
Great post
Wolanin doesn't have 400 NHL games played
Still pretty green at 21 games

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree he is usually pretty good at it but not doing that led to a goal last night …..and for that Boucher is likely to sit him
I missed the game, but going of icetime, Wolanin seemed to get significantly more than Harpur/Jaros who were on the ice for the other two goals against.

Neither tandem seemed to get significantly tougher matchups either though Harpur/Jaros got way more DZ starts.

I'm not so much disagreeing with you here, so much as trying to give myself a glimmer of hope that Wolanin stays in because I really prefer having him there, and the more he plays the better defensively he should get.

My guess is we go back to 11-7 tbh, but I hope not.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Even if Wolanin sits a game it isn't that big of a deal, he's a rookie, they tend to benefit tremendously from seeing the game from above. Them not playing isn't all downside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad