Post-Game Talk: Senators @ Blue Jackets | Well, that got chippy

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Against a Columbus team hit by multiple injuries we still got outshot and, again, needed great goalkeeping to win. If the netminders stumble it could get ugly. Some thoughts on the game:

- some players have really picked it up lately (Michalek, Gryba) while a few others continue to add little (Legwand, Neil)
- Stone had a strong game with lots of very smart plays and his line with Lazar and Condra was solid
- Ryan could have had a couple but did not play well (that's kind of his game, I think)
- Boro isn't highly skilled but he's more skilled than I expected and is a very solid 5/6
- unlike many others, I did not think Cowen played well and offered more of the same (poor puck skill, not that physical); playing him with Karlsson (Mr. Wildcard) would seem to be a recipe for disaster; like Wiercioch before, I'd give him a run of 5 games and see if he makes any progress; I don't see a long-term future here unless he can grow out of the "big/immobile/unskilled" category because we have too many of those already
- Mika had a few chances but he's playing with zero confidence and almost no puck skill; not sure how you can survive as a 2nd-line centre without being able to pass or carry the puck well

The above sounds a little negative but I think we're much better than last year and have a chance to be quite a decent team with Methot back and if the younger players (Stone, Lazar, Hoffman, Pageau) claim ice-time from the older/slow/less effective players (we all know who they are)

A whole lot negative, actually. Maybe people are expecting Picassos instead of kindergarten finger painting. I just like winning. As Paulrus says: "A win is a win is a win is a win".

I don't think we should apologize for having great goaltending. Would you rather that we have average goaltending and outshoot them, but lose?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
A whole lot negative, actually. Maybe people are expecting Picassos instead of kindergarten finger painting. I just like winning. As Paulrus says: "A win is a win is a win is a win".

I don't think we should apologize for having great goaltending. Would you rather that we have average goaltending and outshoot them, but lose?

it's like if we were only winning because line 1 was scoring 4 goals a game. Can't expect it to continue.

Or can we? I dunno.

Truth of the matter is the defense on paper really isn't good at all and there's tons of cap space to address it. Hopefully the team knows we have a need there

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
You can hardly call Ceci's shifts dominant with 10-21 corsi in a game.
Can't be dominant if your team allows twice as many shot attempts as it generates with you on the ice.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
it's like if we were only winning because line 1 was scoring 4 goals a game. Can't expect it to continue.

Or can we? I dunno.

Truth of the matter is the defense on paper really isn't good at all and there's tons of cap space to address it. Hopefully the team knows we have a need there

Assuming there is a willingness to spend a ton of money, where do you buy a defenseman? Everyone thinks that spending more money will be the answer, but I don't see it. They are playing a bunch of young guys on entry level money, so of course they will be below the cap. And when top notch guys become available as ufa's, they are looking to sign with a top team they think maximizes their chances to go far in the playoffs, not a rebuilding team.

I am pretty happy with the results so far, and the team seems to be getting better each time out. If Methot comes back healthy, they should be in better shape.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Or can we? I dunno.

It will get a lot better once Methot gets back, but yes, we are not a defensive dynamo at this time. Young defense corps will get better though, and while they work on getting better, we are getting excellent goaltending. Who knows if it will last, it potentially could. The reality 5-2-1 this year so far when we would easily be 2-5-1 if we had goaltending like last year.

I am not terribly concerned about the shots so much as the scoring chances. CLB had some glorious chances and Lehner was there, same can be said for a couple of saves McIlhenny made, especially on Cowen, that measures out both ways.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
i think lazar probably has more of an impact on the game than pageau would. but, how much difference is there? i'm really not sure. lazar has more size and seems better in faceoffs, but what would be the change if lazar went back and pageau came up?

I think there are lots of differences between Pageau and Lazar. I'm not saying I don't think Lazar wouldn't benefit from AHL play or anything, but he's a more skilled player. Both players seem to have great work ethic; but Lazar is simply the more skilled player. I think difference is quite great. Lazar will do anything IMO. He also has had more experience with like world juniors and such. Just shows he's already a more skilled player.

I'd be quite happy to keep Lazar up. Love that kid.

I also think it's pretty well silly to say we were outshot --- when it was only by 4 shots. The first period we did not play that great, but completely picked it up in the second. I actually think this is the best game we've played thus far. Yes it was against an injury riddled Columbus team; but I think we definitely played better last night. A win is a win -- places to work on for sure; but there's definitely improvement.

Last edited:

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I can't imagine that having as many as three guys drop in an out of the starting lineup from game to game can really help chemistry, game planning, etc.

At some point the music has to stop on roster musical chairs.

I personally think that Condra, Weirchoch and Greening need to sit in the press box until Methot is back, at which point one of them goes, or until we need someone to fill in for an injured player (i.e. Boro).

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Can't be dominant if your team allows twice as many shot attempts as it generates with you on the ice.

Ceci looked really good to me minus that one lazy clear on the pk.
I guess this is one of those cases where corsi and eyeball tests differ. How were the quality of shots against Ceci?

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree

You can't look at corsi without considering the 5 man unit and the location of the shots. I'm a bit skeptical of those numbers on their own they don't tell the whole story.

It's true Ceci is not dominant but he plays all aspects of his position well for a guy with so little experience and he's starting to show some offensive flair. He'll get better.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Ceci looked really good to me minus that one lazy clear on the pk.
I guess this is one of those cases where corsi and eyeball tests differ. How were the quality of shots against Ceci?

Ya I thought ceci playef real well, then I found out about the Corsi.

Then I thought of times a team plays well and loses. Not sure if we can draw a parallel but no ones convincing me with numbers that ceci didn't have a good night

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
RKL -- don't be such a homer all the time. You are mostly right, but I can't recall a game where Turris was so bad. He lost several important face offs in our zone and generally looked flimsy and impotent all night.

Lol, what? Turris is leading a 5-2-1 team as the number 1 C with 6 points in 8 games and +2 while always playing as one of our best players every night. He consistently wins board battles and tries his hardest, how's that being a homer?

So does anyone else notice how lehner rolls around on his stomach in the crease, or is otherwise in some very unusual bad-looking position several times a game?

I believe on one sequence last night he was sprawled on his stomach with his head actually inside the net and luckily the blue jackets forward in the slot slapped the puck into his pad...

His numbers are good, but when I watch him play I find I frequently see him rolling around the crease in ridiculous looking midget-hockey-type goalie positions:/

Really? Lehner actually has superb technique. Rinne type where he uses his full frame very well but athletic enough to make big pushes in the crease to stop in close chances.

Volchenkov blocked shots and we were a better team because of it. Its not for everybody but i think every team should have one or two guys who excel at it. An extra tool to have on the team. On the pk closing down the point and blocking the shot is important because 90 percent of the time your goalie is being screened by an opposing forward

Agreed. Look at how Weaver's shotblocking came so clutch for them in playoff run last year. IMO shotblocking is useless unless you have guys who are very good at it. Only then does it make a difference... and usually it's a big one.

Watching Ceci very carefully, he isn't responsible for that. He gets the puck out better than any defender not named Karlsson and he generates great breakouts. Im actually shocked by those numbers.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
i think lazar probably has more of an impact on the game than pageau would. but, how much difference is there? i'm really not sure. lazar has more size and seems better in faceoffs, but what would be the change if lazar went back and pageau came up?

Lazar has more of an impact than any bingo player, and some sens too. Lazar forechecks very well, creates turnovers, makes good decisions with the puck, he’s good in faceoffs, has the size, etc. Pageau is too much of a perimeter player for a centre, whereas Lazar is not afraid to get his nose dirty.

Trevor Lahey

Jul 16, 2009
ON
Nothing yet but I'm sure he will get 5 games.

I'll be surprised if Neil doesn't get a game for the eye gouge.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 32m 32 minutes ago
#NHL reviewed Gryba hit on Anisimov, Neil eye gouge on Boll and Tropp hit on Borowiecki ... ruled NO supplement discipline on any of them.

Sounds about right on all three accounts.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
Ryan played a very good game IMO, 6 shots, 1 assist, +2, 1 hit and 1 TKA.

Cowen definitely played well and got better as the game went on.

Mika has been fine and has on several occasions made key plays that lead to goals, unfortunately for his statistics ended up as the fourth player in the sequence.

Wow. I don't know what game you watched. Ryan had good numbers but if you watch his actual play it's very sloppy (as opposed to MacArthur who's always working/making smart plays). I want both of Cowen and Mika to do well but neither has any puck confidence and it really shows in their play.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site

Hey, I like to win too and elite goaltending is great. Just pointing out that Anderson and Lehner are covering up problem areas, and identifying players that need to do more (or be replaced) if we want more wins.

Given last year's performance, I don't think questioning the coach or certain players is out of line in any way.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wow. I don't know what game you watched. Ryan had good numbers but if you watch his actual play it's very sloppy (as opposed to MacArthur who's always working/making smart plays). I want both of Cowen and Mika to do well but neither has any puck confidence and it really shows in their play.

A lot of it is optics with Bobby. He isn't the fastest skater in the world, and he seems to fall down a lot. Makes his play look bad at times when it isn't.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
While there is always room for improvement, Zibby is currently 2nd in FO%, for centers, behind Lazar.

Now Lazar has only taken 30 FOs, so while technically ahead, his sample size is really too small.

Hence Zibby has been the most reliable (regular) center over the first 8 games taking FOs.

Regarding his overall performance, he has been easily the second best center most nights and was probably the best center against Chicago.

Points are not the sole measure of a players performance/contribution.

IMO people need to focus more on the big picture and less on one play (good or bad) to formulate opinions.

You are absolutly right for a 3e or 4e centerman

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Paulrus also says :best players play Lol

At 38 shots /night disaster is bond to happen somewhere down the road

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Paulrus also says :best players play Lol

At 38 shots /night disaster is bond to happen somewhere down the road

Number of shots isn't everything. The other team could shoot the puck 50 times from center ice and it would appear that they outshot us on the scoresheet. What matters to me is the quality of those shots. I don't have the numbers with me but I'm sure that we have as many great scoring chances as the teams we faced so far. Yes, our goaltenders had to bail us out a couple of times but that's the reality of the game. Nobody's going anywhere without good goaltending.

That being said, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to cut down on those scoring chances. Can't wait for Methot to come back.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Luke Richardson believes pageau should be the next call up and he also had the best camp out of anyone left in bingo

We'll see. He really needs to show something more. Even SDC couldn't get any kind of significant time in Ottawa and he was great when he played up there last season (and just looked what he's doing in the KHL). I think that Ottawa management has it that Pageau will need to produce to be in the NHL...someone like Zibanejad just has a better frame and physical tools to play as a defensive player if that becomes the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad