Sportsnet: Senators’ Dorion talks team’s payroll, off-season moves and 2019-20 optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I appreciate the transcript posted.

He did not put his foot in his mouth or say anything egregious this time, but its about as canned as we should expect. I really think though he would do himself a big favor by not being so dodgy about the budget. The way Murray handled it was perfect. He acknowledged its existence but didn't give it a ton of mic time. Dorion always just seems offended at the notion, but I really don't understand who he thinks believes him.

Either way, we'll have to wait and see. We've had too many empty words to this point, so it's going to take action to get any kind of buy in from the fans en masse.
Check the bottom of the article and you'll see how and why his foot wasn't in his mouth. I will paste it in. It's my favorite piece of the most recent local media fluff.

Note: This interview has been condensed and edited.

Last edited:

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
SN: What is the latest on the Colin White contract discussions?

Dorion: Respectfully, I don’t think we want to get into details about our negotiations for the simple reason that for us, it makes it harder negotiating through the public. But we want to tell our fans we know the importance of keeping our young core here for the long term. And we know that includes (Thomas) Chabot, White, (Brady) Tkachuk.
SN: Is there a chance Chabot could also get done this summer or fall, despite the fact he doesn’t become an RFA until next summer?

Dorion: I’m pretty much going to give you the same answer, but we’ve had discussions.

AKA the GM doesn't sound too optimistic at this very moment but he's still trying his best with what he has got to work with...

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I just want to know the answer to why Mark Stone was signed to a one year deal ?

Why was he not signed long term or traded for max value ? It didn't save Melnyk money and it hurt the team so I am still to this day very confused by it.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think it's a double edged sword though. IMO they should not make definitive statements about anything after everything that has gone on. The only time should be when he know a deal is coming down soon, like it was with Hogberg for example. I'm not comparing the situations, I'm just saying at that time he said "a contract will be done with Hogberg this week" or whatever it was.

Many other GM'S around the league have made blunt statements about their young guys that they are going to sign them.

Why can't we? Oh that's right because it would be more broken promises by this organization

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Says the GM of a team that just finished in last place, with Mark Stone, Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel.

No worries though! Replacing them with Hainsey, Anisimov, Zaitsev and Ennis means we won't finish in last any more!

I honestly don't know anymore if he believes his own bull****.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You can't expect the guy to give a super negative response about the state of the team, the controversy around cost cutting vs. rebuilding and the salary vs cap (glad to see someone is asking these questions though!). And - he has a long history of complete bull****tery so nothing he says holds much water for me.

But I really wish he'd stop with this over the top hyperbole about how excited he is about things that are clearly not that great. You can't polish this turd so hard, my man, cause now you're clearly full of ****. If this is the most excited he's ever been about the team, well that is just sad and pathetic. It's also not a good sign that his perception of what is going on diverges so greatly from what most folks see with this team.

Find a balance between being realistic and being positive, without the need for unwarranted enthusiasm and a loose grasp on the truth of the situation with this team. This rough period would be easier to swallow for fans (me at least) without the constant extra dollop of horsecrap from our bumbling GM.

Don't live in Ottawa anymore, but not watching any games (center ice etc.) or buying anything sens related until this nonsense stops. I can't support this team if it's not offering me hope for improvement. Melnyk and D'ohrion are the biggest joke in professional sports.

This couldn't be more on point. Well said.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Many other GM'S around the league have made blunt statements about their young guys that they are going to sign them.

Why can't we? Oh that's right because it would be more broken promises by this organization
Disagree with that but fair enough. In this situation I’d rather they keep it private. At the end of the day actions will speak louder than any words.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
I was burnt last Summer by his comments, shame on me. I will not let it happen again, while he is saying all the right things, I am passed the point of believing him.

Actions speak louder then words. If they sign Chabot long term and I will maybe start believing Pierre and company again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I remember when he said that last summer about Mark Stone and Matt Duchene!

It's also important to note that in 2 years, Chabot, White and Tkachuk will no longer be "our young players". They'll be our veterans, who we'll have to trade to make room for our new "young players" like Shane Pinto and Lassi Thomson.

But it seems like he's really hitching his wagon to DJ Smith, a rookie head coach. Hopefully he's some sort of magician.

"The next time we talk about (insert players name here), I hope it will be to announce an extension"

(6 months later...)

[Confirmed Trade With Link] Mark Stone to VGK
[Confirmed Trade With Link] Matt Duchene to NSH

So following that pattern....

[Confirmed Trade With Link] Thomas Chabot to COL for Samuel Girard, 2020 18th overall pick, 2021 2nd, 2021 3rd

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The rebuild had to happen for the SI one reason that they needed to change the air on the franchise. It was stale, the fans, the arena, the headlines the doom and gloom.

Dorion is doing well to not talk about Melnycks shortcomings, those are Melncyks weaknesses as a man and it’s nit Dorion’s job to defend or speak to them.

Dorion’s job is to put together a team that wants to win, and show it how to win. He’s started well.

Brady will get 40 goals this year, Chabot will get 82 points. It’ll be a good year, not playoff good but the change that was needed was made and good on Dorion for having assets to deal and getting through the darkest time in Sens history.

LOL what?

Yes, getting rid of all the star players we loved really "freshened" up the place, and everyone feels so positive going forward with the shoestring budget and no new arena plans.

Oye vey.

Reactions: Deku and Cosmix

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I just want to know the answer to why Mark Stone was signed to a one year deal ?

Why was he not signed long term or traded for max value ? It didn't save Melnyk money and it hurt the team so I am still to this day very confused by it.

The only answer to that question is sheer incompetence which is why you'll never get it from Dorion.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Check the bottom of the article and you'll see how and why his foot wasn't in his mouth. I will paste it in. It's my favorite piece of the most recent local media fluff.

Note: This interview has been condensed and edited.
I don't doubt it, but then that would require me listening to it, and I'm done listening to this asshole after he basically told me and other fans to eat it and like it or stfu last year.

It's all pointless anyways. We've had nothing but empty words from them for years. They might as well say f***ing nothing anymore, because nobody gives a shit about what they have to say, we only care about what they do.

I put about as much stock in his words as I do that orange humpty dumpty in the states.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's why we desperately need a POHO. Dorion can focus on what he's good at, and the POHO can control Melnyk.

If only we had a POHO ? Why? How would that fix what is broken with this team?

We need a new owner with capital to invest and a true commitment, not PR BS lip service, to do so, plus a competent GM who has experience and been successful at being a GM, not the slimeball liar we have now.

Reactions: Gesus

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well they were all pending UFA, Chabot and Tkachuk are RFA, still though it's an alarming thought.

So he can low-ball them? Offer sheets will be made and the reality of the situation will likely be realized by those with hopes for this franchise as owned and led by these incompetent people.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I remember when he said that last summer about Mark Stone and Matt Duchene!

It's also important to note that in 2 years, Chabot, White and Tkachuk will no longer be "our young players". They'll be our veterans, who we'll have to trade to make room for our new "young players" like Shane Pinto and Lassi Thomson.

But it seems like he's really hitching his wagon to DJ Smith, a rookie head coach. Hopefully he's some sort of magician.

He's hitching his wagon to DJ Smith because it's the only "new" thing he can point to from this off season.

Noone gives a shit about Anisimov and Leafs re-treads.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Same ol' dog & pony show from Pierre.

Why would anyone fall for his BS at this point?

You don't think you've ever been more excited to start a season? You sure about that, Pierre? You know... You did start a season two years ago where you were one goal away from the Cup finals, right? But that was just a dog's breakfast compared to this upcoming gem of a year, eh?

Sure thing, buddy. Keep spouting that fortune cookie wisdom and fooling yourself into thinking that the worst season ticket base in franchise history isn't an appropriate response by a fanbase that can see right through you.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I dont have a hard time taking this interview as anything but positive. It all sounds right to me. But it also changes nothing at this point.

Dorion and Melnyk both know that this rebuild and the faith of the entire fan base is contingent on them signing Chabot and Tkachuk (and to a lesser extent White) to long term deals.

Nothing else will suffice, and thats really just the start of many moves they will need to make in order to win the fans (wallets) back. The reality they will have to understand sooner or later is that its easy to follow this team and also ensure that Melnyk never sees a dime of your money. Its barely an inconvenience.

Reactions: little BiG

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
While I think it's important to acknowledge the false promises regarding the loss of our star players, we also have to keep in mind the context.

Karl, Duchene and stone were all commanding big money, with their age range not fitting our 'potential' future window. Did they actually put forth a real effort to sign those players? I don't know.

What I do know, is that there is zero excuse to not sign our RFA's. Unlike the pending UFA status and age range of the stars we lost, Chabot, Tkachuk, and White are all locked under RFA. They also mesh perfectly (age wise) with what we are building towards.

While I think it's absolutely fair to have lost faith in this management group, there really isn't precedent for these upcoming signings. The loss of our stars came as a result of a far different scenario.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
While I think it's important to acknowledge the false promises regarding the loss of our star players, we also have to keep in mind the context.

Karl, Duchene and stone were all commanding big money, with their age range not fitting our 'potential' future window. Did they actually put forth a real effort to sign those players? I don't know.

What I do know, is that there is zero excuse to not sign our RFA's. Unlike the pending UFA status and age range of the stars we lost, Chabot, Tkachuk, and White are all locked under RFA. They also mesh perfectly (age wise) with what we are building towards.

While I think it's absolutely fair to have lost faith in this management group, there really isn't precedent for these upcoming signings. The loss of our stars came as a result of a far different scenario.

Considering we sold Hoffman, Dzingle, Duchene, Stone and Karlsson the returns as a whole are brutal. Three of those guys are some of the best in the world at their respective positions.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad