Sportsnet: Senators’ Dorion talks team’s payroll, off-season moves and 2019-20 optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If you just focus on the 20 guys on the ice and the coach, it’s not so grim

I mean great on you for being optimistic, but realistically if you focus on the 20 guys on the ice and the coaching staff, it's extremely grim actually.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Considering we sold Hoffman, Dzingle, Duchene, Stone and Karlsson the returns as a whole are brutal. Three of those guys are some of the best in the world at their respective positions.

take dzingel and hoffman out and i agree

like the karlsson return was meh, how he got less than stone i dont know. Thats nothing to take away from stone, stone is an amazing player and i still think he should have returned more but karlsson should have gotten more than that

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I mean great on you for being optimistic, but realistically if you focus on the 20 guys on the ice and the coaching staff, it's extremely grim actually.

I think you should give the players and coaches a chance. It’ll be an ‘Us versus the world’ mentality and that can mean a lot in hockey.

Let’s give the team a chance. I expect Chabot and Tkachuk to be All Stars this year and maybe the best D and LW in hockey. Want to see those two players in action before I write the team off

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think you should give the players and coaches a chance. It’ll be an ‘Us versus the world’ mentality and that can mean a lot in hockey.

Let’s give the team a chance. I expect Chabot and Tkachuk to be All Stars this year and maybe the best D and LW in hockey. Want to see those two players in action before I write the team off.

I guess when you think Tkachuk is going to put up 100 points this optimistic view makes sense... Best LW in hockey...

Johnny Gaudreau Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Calgary Flames | The Sports Forecaster
Brad Marchand Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Boston Bruins | The Sports Forecaster
Alex Ovechkin Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Washington Capitals | The Sports Forecaster
Etc

And if Chabot is going to become the best D in hockey... I hope the Sens can afford the 7/84 (45 ish in signing bonus over the next 3 years) contract he’s going to demand a year from now because it sounds like his camp has no interest in an extension at the moment... he knows a big money offer sheet is coming 11 months from now

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I guess when you think Tkachuk is going to put up 100 points this optimistic view makes sense... Best LW in hockey...

Johnny Gaudreau Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Calgary Flames | The Sports Forecaster
Brad Marchand Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Boston Bruins | The Sports Forecaster
Alex Ovechkin Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Washington Capitals | The Sports Forecaster
Etc

And if Chabot is going to become the best D in hockey... I hope the Sens can afford the 7/84 (45 ish in signing bonus over the next 3 years) contract he’s going to demand a year from now because it sounds like his camp has no interest in an extension at the moment... he knows a big money offer sheet is coming 11 months from now

Every GM in the NHL would take Tkachuk over Gaudreau, that’s not even a debate. Id take him over Ovechkin. He’s equal with Marchand, and this year he’ll surpass him

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Every GM in the NHL would take Tkachuk over Gaudreau, that’s not even a debate. Id take him over Ovechkin. He’s equal with Marchand, and this year he’ll surpass him

What in the world?

Nevermind.

Who exactly is going to feed Brady the puck? We have no top 6 centres.

Tkachuk will have had an unreal year if he hits 30/30. No chance he hits 40 let alone 50 goals.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What in the world?

Nevermind.

Who exactly is going to feed Brady the puck? We have no top 6 centres.

Tkachuk will have had an unreal year if he hits 30/30. No chance he hits 40 let alone 50 goals.

Okay, we’ll see. Nobody thought he should even be in the NHL last year and everybody thought he was just a plugger with no finish. I like what I see and 40 is a realistic goal for him.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Okay, we’ll see. Nobody thought he should even be in the NHL last year and everybody thought he was just a plugger with no finish. I like what I see and 40 is a realistic goal for him.
Are you sure? I am pretty sure a large number of people, analysts included, thought he would be and that he was the most NHL ready prospect of his draft year.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
This thread popped up in the most recent posts section. Thought id take a gander. It didnt disappoint.

Reactions: Sens

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Are you sure? I am pretty sure a large number of people, analysts included, thought he would be and that he was the most NHL ready prospect of his draft year.

Not how i remeber it after his 9 goal season in college but regardless, he’s a very impressive impact winger who has an incredible hockey sense that can’t be taught.

He has this incredible ability to not be near the puck and then be right not top of the puck and super calm in very tight and desperate situations.

His offensive weapons are going to come out this year. When he gets his shot going this year it’ll change everything. Very excited to see him play

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I like is reply about the answer of Aimee Deziel : a lot of new and exciting things. With all the rumor about ownership change or partnership in early september this year . Melnyk not at the draft. Melnyk in the office of nhl at New-York. The helicopter at the ctc and the reply of Dorion about a extension for White just before the camp. I m pretty sure is coming.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I like is reply about the answer of Aimee Deziel : a lot of new and exciting things. With all the rumor about ownership change or partnership in early september this year . Melnyk not at the draft. Melnyk in the office of nhl at New-York. The helicopter at the ctc and the reply of Dorion about a extension for White just before the camp. I m pretty sure is coming.

Really hope so... would even give my left nut for this to happen (i already have kids)...

...but I doubt he sells anytime soon.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
" I think you’d agree with me, spending to the cap right now would do us no good." Or, we could you know, use the cap as a tool to take back bad contracts in exchange for assets that can be used to help the rebuild. Imagine taking one of Lucic/Neal/Eriksson and getting a first round pick and a prospect?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
" I think you’d agree with me, spending to the cap right now would do us no good." Or, we could you know, use the cap as a tool to take back bad contracts in exchange for assets that can be used to help the rebuild. Imagine taking one of Lucic/Neal/Eriksson and getting a first round pick and a prospect?

But then how would we get rid of our past mistakes? (i.e. Condon, Ryan, etc)

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
"The next time we talk about (insert players name here), I hope it will be to announce an extension"

(6 months later...)

[Confirmed Trade With Link] Mark Stone to VGK
[Confirmed Trade With Link] Matt Duchene to NSH

So following that pattern....

[Confirmed Trade With Link] Thomas Chabot to COL for Samuel Girard, 2020 18th overall pick, 2021 2nd, 2021 3rd

I would like for Ottawa not to get Colorado one step closer to a dynasty if possible... we already gave them an entire foundation with the Duchene trade lol

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I’m a huge Tkachuk fan but he’s not as good of a scorer as the guys you mentioned

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Really hope so... would even give my left nut for this to happen (i already have kids)...

...but I doubt he sells anytime soon.

Pierre Dorion would also not be "excited" about a sale. It would mean he's a dead man walking.

The first step for any new ownership group would be to bring in a senior hockey executive to evaluate the organization, from top to bottom. What happens after those type of "evaluations"? The senior hockey executive always fires the current regime, and brings in someone they like and have worked with in the past.

So new owners would mean unemployment for Pierre.

I mean, even if they liked his draft and some of his moves, the toxic atmosphere around the team wouldn't make it possible for him to stay on. Any new owner will want a hard reset to try and start fresh.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I would like for Ottawa not to get Colorado one step closer to a dynasty if possible... we already gave them an entire foundation with the Duchene trade lol

I think that's what a Chabot trade would like like. Colorado was just the first team that came to mind who had the main piece I think we'd get in Girard.

That is a young inferior defender who is a #4 type with some upside. More importantly, on who is cost controlled and trapped on the Sens with term.

Then 3-4 other pieces. Mostly picks.

It will be anchored to the value of a 1st/1st/2nd/3rd because that's the biggest possible offer sheet the Sens can expect. Nobody will tender a four 1sts offer sheet because just like with the Aho situation, the expectation will be that the Sens can't match bonuses, so a bigger offer sheet isn't needed.

If the Sens CAN match an Aho offer sheet, a Chabot trade won't happen. The Sens will leave Chabot open to an offer sheet, and if he gets one, they will match as CAR did.

No chance the Sens leave Chabot open to an offer sheet of they can't match though. Better to deal him for a soft return at the draft than to risk losing him for a 1st/2nd/3rd in a worst case scenario.

Reactions: Kamina and branch

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Tkachuk > Ovechkin and Chabot as good as Karlsson?

It's good to see our current situation hasn't beaten the homer out of some fans :laugh:

I personally am not sure Karlsson will ever be back to 100% so I do not think he is the measuring stick we should use. I do believe that Chabot will be a top 5 D Man this year.

Tkachuk is not close to being top 10 yet, but give it another year or so IMO

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I think that's what a Chabot trade would like like. Colorado was just the first team that came to mind who had the main piece I think we'd get in Girard.

That is a young inferior defender who is a #4 type with some upside. More importantly, on who is cost controlled and trapped on the Sens with term.

Then 3-4 other pieces. Mostly picks.

It will be anchored to the value of a 1st/1st/2nd/3rd because that's the biggest possible offer sheet the Sens can expect. Nobody will tender a four 1sts offer sheet because just like with the Aho situation, the expectation will be that the Sens can't match bonuses, so a bigger offer sheet isn't needed.

If the Sens CAN match an Aho offer sheet, a Chabot trade won't happen. The Sens will leave Chabot open to an offer sheet, and if he gets one, they will match as CAR did.

No chance the Sens leave Chabot open to an offer sheet of they can't match though. Better to deal him for a soft return at the draft than to risk losing him for a 1st/2nd/3rd in a worst case scenario.

Any reason to get picks, they eventually turn to players, who will want money from Melnyk? Then you have to turn the picks to garbage and draft off board for college players and pray, they would never develop. This is like giving away a player for nothing. They are very successful in that lately!! What this organisation is doing in the last 2 years is sickening to the core!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad