Semifinals: New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Series tied 3-3) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The good news for the Islanders it’s one game, and has the same meaning as a 2-1 loss. You know the Islanders are going to come out flying at the Coliseum and the crowd is going to be crazy. Tampa better be prepared. This isn’t over by a long shot.

Reactions: Beerleaguer2019

Sir Hattrick

May 18, 2021
He got a game misconduct. The NHL will consider that sufficient and he'll be fine for Game 6.

I can pretty much guarantee that. Will be shocked if he gets suspended.
I agree, if his name was not Barzel and if he was not the best player on the Long Islanders, he would be suspended.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Oh, stay classy Tampa fans, stay classy.

Coming here for a moment just to say you deserved the win. Clearly a better team on the ice yesterday and the score pretty much describes the clusterf*** that happened.
Team that put up a snowman deserved the win?

So gracious of you for acknowledging that.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
....And the refs in the Bolts' pockets....

....And the no-state tax.......

....And the 'no crowd noise' from Amalie....

....And the lush golf courses all over the state.....

....And the white sandy beaches.....

....And Disney World being so close....

....And the large Cuban population in south and central Florida who run damned fine restaurants....

.... And the........

The hot girls on beaches in Tampa, where the Lighting players get all their juices(I mean energy.)

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
its almost as if Tampa read that thread proclaiming Trotz indisputable supreme coach of all time and they decided that is not so, and preceded to score a touchdown.

Reactions: Hoek

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Anyone remember when Kucherov scored in his first NHL game, on his first NHL shift, with his first NHL shot? I expected great things, but when he constantly finds himself in statistical categories alone with Gretzky and Lemieux you have to take a moment to recognize the degree to which he is a historically special player. 121 playoff points in 104 games.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Anyone remember when Kucherov scored in his first NHL game, on his first NHL shift, with his first NHL shot? I expected great things, but when he constantly finds himself in statistical categories alone with Gretzky and Lemieux you have to take a moment to recognize the degree to which he is a historically special player. 121 playoff points in 104 games.
I was there for that game. I flew into Tampa for the first to watch the Bolts play after being a fan since the late 90's. So I rounded up 2 of my buddies and we flew from Vancouver to Tampa. That was the first game we got to see on our trip.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The good news for the Islanders it’s one game, and has the same meaning as a 2-1 loss. You know the Islanders are going to come out flying at the Coliseum and the crowd is going to be crazy. Tampa better be prepared. This isn’t over by a long shot.

Honestly games that lopsided often result in the series see sawing. I almost think there is a better chance the Isles win game 6 now than if they lost that game 2-1. Obviously if the league suspends Barzal that does not happen and they officially lose any credibility with me given how many worse plays have not gotten suspensions so far this playoffs

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m a biased Ranger fan, so, yeah. But what I saw last night was the Islanders insane puck luck coming to a crashing end.

They are a good team, but they rely on counter attacks and capitalizing on few opportunities. They try to play low event hockey to make up for their skill disadvantage.

This can be effective for long periods of time. Even longer when the team is well coached and plays nearly mistake free.

But, when the bounces don’t go your way, it’s really, really hard to hang. The bounces started early last night and never stopped for TBL. A whole playoffs worth of puck luck upended in one night for the NYI.

If TBL brings their A game again tomorrow it’s over. Blood is in the water.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I’m a biased Ranger fan, so, yeah. But what I saw last night was the Islanders insane puck luck coming to a crashing end.

They are a good team, but they rely on counter attacks and capitalizing on few opportunities. They try to play low event hockey to make up for their skill disadvantage.

This can be effective for long periods of time. Even longer when the team is well coached and plays nearly mistake free.

But, when the bounces don’t go your way, it’s really, really hard to hang. The bounces started early last night and never stopped for TBL. A whole playoffs worth of puck luck for upended in one night for the NYI.

you don’t make back to back semi finals on puck luck. Tampa is just a step above the rest of the nhl.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Anybody else wake up and remember last night?

tumblr_lni8kzzbbf1qlh1s6o1_400.gifv

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If they can win 2 cups in 2 shortened seasons, I can see Tampa three-seating next year.

They'll all be well rested for next season, especially Kucherov.

The turnaround is very short. I sort of feel NYI/TPA/VGK/MTL will actually struggle alot next year early

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

But, when the bounces don’t go your way, it’s really, really hard to hang. The bounces started early last night and never stopped for TBL. A whole playoffs worth of puck luck upended in one night for the NYI.

Idk about that, the Islanders got severely outplayed and outskated, which is pretty rare. They gave up so many odd-man's which again is very rare for them. Once it was 3-0 it was pretty much over.

They shit the bed in their biggest game of the year.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Idk about that, the Islanders got severely outplayed and outskated, which is pretty rare. They gave up so many odd-man's which again is very rare for them. Once it was 3-0 it was pretty much over.

They shit the bed in their biggest game of the year.
Yeah. Many of those opportunities, especially early, came off of weird bounces. It started with the Stamkos goal. Puck was on a tee for him after a bad bounce. The Islanders have scored several goals just like that one in this playoff - sit back, let the other team dictate play, and then bury the random chances that fall in your lap.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I’m trying not to let my bias come through in my analysis of this series. I respect Lou and Trotz tremendously, I respect the way the team plays (I don’t care if it’s boring, it wins), and I don’t think their success is “luck” or a “fluke.” They play a tough, 2 way game and take advantage of their opportunities.

I’ve always thought Tampa is just too much though, and at some point the flood gates were going to open. That’s not a knock on the Islanders. I expected Tampa to win the series. Last night those flood gates opened. Game 6 should be a great game, because I don’t expect the Islanders to go down without a fight.

Reactions: NYSaints

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
No sane adult is going to deny the TBL are massively talented with multiple possible hall of famers like Hedman, Stamkos, etc. But it can also be said that they are a team prone to dirtbag play; diving, embellishments, etc., that undermine their reputation and respect they receive around the league. It is no accident they were the most penalized team in the NHL this past year.

It would behoove the NHL to end the salary cap loophole, and it would also make sense to review Vasilevsky's circus-tent sized chest protector and gear, which have reached sufficient proportions he could hide several of his team mates underneath his oversized jersey.

They are the better team, and as a fan who prefers skill over physicality in my hockey, I respect what they can do on this ice. The problem is they also do many things out there that are quite atrocious, and will always taint their cups IMO - they lack class, and kucherov and a few others like ratta have none.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad