Semifinals: New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Series tied 2-2) Part.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
This is Interesting.
Islanders were not at their best but still had quite a good control.

This might be harder to Tampa than I predicted.

But next game is huge!

Still hope Islanders or Habs fot Cup!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think Tampa wasn’t prepared too well. We played both Carolina and Florida in a similar more defensive way. Thing is NYI are king in that so we need to change things up a bit. Game 1 both teams were feeling each other out, it wasn’t a pretty game and more or less even. Gonna be interesting what Cooper comes up with for game 2. Good game by the Isles though, I couldn’t identify a lot of mistakes in their game - if any.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The Isles appeared to not be hitting so hard and still won the game. It was a pretty solid road playoff game against the defending champs. Have to think the Bolts will kick it up and perhaps play the dump and chase game. How will Trotz/Cooper answer? Time will tell.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Isles win game two and they've got this.

Tampa arena is a morgue. There will be a big difference when the series moves to New York. The Coliseum is LOUD. Lightning doesn't want to go there down 2-0.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Tampa regularly lays eggs in game 1s. They’re now 6-10 under Cooper I think but sti l won 11 of those 16 series anyway, one of them in which they also lost the second game.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Tampa arena is a morgue. There will be a big difference when the series moves to New York. The Coliseum is LOUD. Lightning doesn't want to go there down 2-0.

Seriously. Normally comparing crowds is a certain type of measuring contest but I've just never seen a playoff crowd that quiet before from puck drop. These fans didn't even get to go to the playoffs last year either so it's not like this is old hat.

Kezaster

Apr 29, 2013
Tampa has been able to answer each and every time they've fumbled for just a little bit. I got no doubt they'll turn this around, I mean there's not much to turn.
Might be the isles have to enjoy this feeling while it lasts.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Seriously. Normally comparing crowds is a certain type of measuring contest but I've just never seen a playoff crowd that quiet before from puck drop. These fans didn't even get to go to the playoffs last year either so it's not like this is old hat.

it sounded like Tampa was down by 5 goals the entire game. The crowd seemed disinterested. For a playoff game, it was pretty pathetic.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Yeah Amalie didn’t seem very loud. I’ve been to several games there (great arena) and I was shocked at the lack of noise.

To be fair the bolts didn’t give them much to cheer about.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
The Isles played a fast and fine game 1, and my Bolts were sloppy and slower than usual. TBL should be well rested for game 2 on Tuesday, since they didn't exert much energy on Sunday.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Yeah Amalie didn’t seem very loud. I’ve been to several games there (great arena) and I was shocked at the lack of noise.

To be fair the bolts didn’t give them much to cheer about.

The fans there are not exceptionally hockey knowledgeable at all. When the team is bad they barely draw anyone. Florida is just not a good sports state unless you're talking college football. In that sort of environment you're usually relegated to a fickle fan base who tends to be bandwagonish. This is not specific to Florida either, its just one example

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The fans there are not exceptionally hockey knowledgeable at all. When the team is bad they barely draw anyone.

Please cite your sources. Calling BS on this one. SHow me where Tampa barely draws anyone.

Can't wait for your sources...just so you know I already looked at every year's attendance.

So back up your BS...

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm not going to claim Amalie Arena is a super loud arena (I do think the crowd is a little too sheepish in general), but the TV broadcasts never really do it justice. I think part of the problem is the Tesla coils going off during goals really mess with the ability to pick up the crowd noise during those moments. The mic placement or mixing is just off or something, because it's definitely much louder in person.

Anyway it's pointless because crowd noise has nothing to do with winning or losing, as much as people like to crow about it. As far as I can tell all the fanbases bragging about having the loudest barns have a big fat zero in cups won lately.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
The Isles appeared to not be hitting so hard and still won the game. It was a pretty solid road playoff game against the defending champs. Have to think the Bolts will kick it up and perhaps play the dump and chase game. How will Trotz/Cooper answer? Time will tell.
Noticed this also. They hardly had to hit to keep the Bolts outside the dots or control the puck.

Reactions: NYSaints

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The Islanders are a disciplined team, but every playoff game they've played so far has been played with a lot of emotion... until that one. I think you chalk that up to the fact that the NYI had seen plenty of BOS and PIT, and none of TB. I expect that to change. But NYI really do need to work harder to keep control.

An adjustment I expect TB to make in game 2 is to pinch harder on the boards to try to force NYI to make riskier passes leaving the defensive zone. Both Pittsburgh and Boston, but especially Pittsburgh, made breaking out much more difficult on NYI.

The last few games, Nick Leddy has been a much better player over the last 5-6 games than he had late in the season, and in the series against Pittsburgh. I have no idea why that is. It's like he had a sluggish stretch that he seems to have come out of. Weird.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If this series is played mostly at 5v5, Tampa needs to make some serious adjustments if they want to be successful. Lightning were lucky the score was as close at it was in game 1.

They need to simplify their breakout because the Islander forecheck is going to eat guys like Sergachev alive - their forwards need to come lower and defenseman need to be quicker moving the puck. Just chip it out if you have to, and force the Islanders to gain the zone with possession (which is a weakness of their game).

Similarly, they need to simplify at the offensive blue line - the Stamkos giveaway is a perfect example of this, but they need to start getting pucks in deep and establish their forecheck. This should take away the Islanders transition game (where they generated most of their chances) and give the Lightning forwards more opportunities to draw penalties.

North south, low event hockey, and hope to win the game on special teams.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Have to imagine game 2 is massive. Tampa doesn't want to be headed back to the Barn down by 2...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That wasn't a luck "stole one" game by the Islanders on the road last night, that was a SHUT DOWN game where they dominated on the road. Barzal is amazing. I'm a Rangers fan but I'm enjoying this run by the Isles, I'll root for NY over Tampa any day no matter what team it is. Excited for Game 2. and GO VEGAS!
Agreed Isles did not steal game 1, they earned a 1-0 series lead. It was clinical execution on how to play 5 v 5. TB will adjust for game 2. I think we will see more dump and chase from them, with higher pressure tactics from Cooper. The one thing TB can do, is also play it down low and grind. Should be an interesting contest.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Have to imagine game 2 is massive. Tampa doesn't want to be headed back to the Barn down by 2...
I didn't even hear any Tampa fans in that game until they scored late in the third. One of the quietest hockey arenas I've heard, or maybe it was because they were DOMINATED from the first second until the last minute when Tampa got that cheap awful power play. Tampa is going to be shook when they go back to Long Island in Nassau Colosseum.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Agreed Isles did not steal game 1, they earned a 1-0 series lead. It was clinical execution on how to play 5 v 5. TB will adjust for game 2. I think we will see more dump and chase from them, with higher pressure tactics from Cooper. The one thing TB can do, is also play it down low and grind. Should be an interesting contest.
Yeah Tampa is going to play game 2 very hard and throw a lot of hits, play a rough, grinding game, totally agree, but the Isles just need 2 goals with Varly playing this amazing.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah Tampa is going to play game 2 very hard and throw a lot of hits, play a rough, grinding game, totally agree, but the Isles just need 2 goals with Varly playing this amazing.
Bringing up the intensity with a physical game just plays into the Islanders hand with the physicality they’ve shown so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad