GDT: Round 1 - Game 3 - Winnipeg Jets @ Colorado Avalanche - Friday, April 26th, 2024 - 9:00pm CDT - CBC - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Don't worry my Jets friends, our team has not lost a single playoff game all year while I have been watching the game.

Therefore I shall get up at 4 am for the game. :D
Where were you last game?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Out of the 16 playoff teams the Jets at 5v5:

Offense:
13th in CF/60
7th in SF/60
2nd in GF/60
10th in xGF/60
10th in SCF/60

8th in HDCF/60
1st in SH%

Defense:
16th in CA/60
16th in SA/60

14th in GA/60
16th in xGA/60
16th in SCA/60
15th in HDCA/60

9th in SV%

Offensive shot metrics aren't amazing but the goalscoring has been good.

Defensive shot metrics are abysmal. Just getting crushed.

Special teams have also been unimpressive (PP ~11th or 12th; PK ~13th or 14th), but that should be no surprise. PP%+PK% = 80...no bueno. Only the Kings, Leafs and Stars are worse. Small samples and all that but the PK is bleeding shot attempts and PP is generating shot attempts at about about the same anemic rate it has been all season.

yeesh

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Don't worry my Jets friends, our team has not lost a single playoff game all year while I have been watching the game.

Do you need a wakeup call?

I'm hoping that Hellebuyck has a short leash. For the last two months I've been posting about how Helle's career playoff numbers are decidedly average. Our backup leads the league in GAA and Sv% so why not ride him to wrap up the season and see if a rested Hellebuyck is a better Hellebuyck in the playoffs.

I'm definitely NOT feeling good about tonight. And neither are the bookmakers:

1714150938532.png

m.

Reactions: roccerfeller

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I'm doing a really shitty job articulating myself, which isn't uncommon lol

So I'll use an analogy that I'm familiar with that maybe will make more sense

I've been training Brazilian Jiu Jistu for 13 years. I'm pretty good, and I'm a big, strong guy. Over the years, I've developed a "game" where I chain certain moves and positions together that I'm very good at

When I "roll" (that's what we call sparring) with people who are less experienced, I can impose my game on them no problem. There are a handful of guys at the gym that can impose their game on me no problem

And there are a few guys who I'm equally matched with. If they put me in a position that I'm not strong in, it's going to be a lot harder for me to "play my game" regardless of how hard I try. Same thing goes for them if I happen to be able to start imposing my game

So for someone to just come along and tell me to "play my game" is asinine. What do you think I'm trying to do?
Very well said.
From reading most of these posts the majority want speed in the lineup ... do you think that is what the problem is?
The problem is the Jets defensemen other than Josh no one knows how to skate around or beat that first Avs forechecker. They just quickly wrap it around the boards like a hot potato and the Avs know this. Hopefully the Jets game plan does a few adjustments to help the D so they don't try those long outlet passes that the Avs know are coming.
Do you notice when the Jets get by the first checker how much ice opens up?
People need to realize no playoff teams can dominate a game for 60 mins. It boils down to game planning and the team that makes the fewest mistakes or gets lucky bounces wins the game.
Enjoy the game tonight ... go Jets go.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
well OK, but we're not talking about amateur athletics here. We're talking about pro sports - people getting paid millions of dollars to make decisions and play and find ways to try and win championships. The goal isn't just to participate. At the end of the season if we don't win the SC, when Chipman and Chevy and Bones sit down to talk I doubt the conversation is going to be "well, that was quite a season. We did our best to win. Everyone tried really hard. Go now and enjoy your summer."
I'm not sure what your point is

If anything, TNSE understands better than any of us how hard it is to win in the NHL

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
In an earlier thread, someone looked askance at my claim that I was in bed checking my Facebook page. (It's the only way I can keep up with the current colour of my sister's hair. She changes it almost weekly.) Fortunately, I have proof. My roommate shot this video clip of me before she went to campus.

1714151317332.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Very well said.
From reading most of these posts the majority want speed in the lineup ... do you think that is what the problem is?
The problem is the Jets defensemen other than Josh no one knows how to skate around or beat that first Avs forechecker. They just quickly wrap it around the boards like a hot potato and the Avs know this. Hopefully the Jets game plan does a few adjustments to help the D so they don't try those long outlet passes that the Avs know are coming.
Do you notice when the Jets get by the first checker how much ice opens up?
People need to realize no playoff teams can dominate a game for 60 mins. It boils down to game planning and the team that makes the fewest mistakes or gets lucky bounces wins the game.
Enjoy the game tonight ... go Jets go.

I think most understand we won't easily dominate the Avs for a full 60. But I think it's fair to say that given how well we did in the regular season, we should be able to dominate them just as much as they dominate us this series. We shouldn't be getting worked as much as we are so far.

I fully agree that our breakout is one of the major issues for us right now. Bednar as implemented a good game plan to disrupt what we are trying to do. Bones now needs to make some adjustments and our dmen need to start executing much better in order to get us out of our end with more control. If we do that we start to spend more time in their end.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The number one guy I'm looking to for a big performance tonight is hellebuyck. He's one of the best players on the team. Without him being above average the jets are going nowhere.

Need production from ehlers. Need scheifele to play 60 mins. I thought he was excellent until the Avs took the lead then he started cheating and making bad plays.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm not sure what your point is

If anything, TNSE understands better than any of us how hard it is to win in the NHL

Well, you posted earlier that anyone who can't deal with winning and losing ugly maybe should find another hobby. I'm just not sure what "dealing with it" looks like to you. What are we doing here if we aren't discussing the teams performance and pretending we're the ones making decisions? We all know the players and coaches and organization are doing their best and that that may not be good enough, but we gotta talk about something...That's one of the fun things about a place like this.

Reactions: JetsUK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
4th line has a goal in each game... not much more you can ask for 7 mins of icetime

They have also allowed a goal against each game as well. They have been a net even.

It's the second line that is the biggest issue, if you want Cole in then put him on that line to spark it again.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Ugg - I agreed to take my kids to the Oilers watch party tonight, not realizing the Jets had two days off and would be playing at the same time!

Well for the superstitious amongst us, I didn't watch game 1 and they won (my kid had a hockey game, I listened to the radio broadcast), and did watch game 2 and they lost, so maybe it's a good thing.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Inanna

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Well, you posted earlier that anyone who can't deal with winning and losing ugly maybe should find another hobby. I'm just not sure what "dealing with it" looks like to you. What are we doing here if we aren't discussing the teams performance and pretending we're the ones making decisions? We all know the players and coaches and organization are doing their best and that that may not be good enough, but we gotta talk about something...That's one of the fun things about a place like this.
My point is that "they just need to play their game" is overly simplistic, if not naive

It makes it sound like it's just a choice they make, when there are a lot of other factors

Coaching isn't like this:

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and DRW204

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
My point is that "they just need to play their game" is overly simplistic, if not naive

It makes it sound like it's just a choice they make, when there are a lot of other factors

Coaching isn't like this:

Of course. But when people say that, it's based on the fact that we've watched a season of hockey in which The Jets finished with 110 points and presumably have something to bring to the table here. It definitely is overly simplistic, but there's all kinds of examples of that. Saying "we need Helly to be Vezina Helly" is overly simplistic. As if he just chooses to be that or not. Or the classic "team just needs to flip the switch" for the playoffs. There's no switch. lol.

The overarching simplification is "we just need to win." But there's a lot of other factors...:laugh:

(kudos for the reference to one of the greatest Simpsons eps btw :thumbu: )

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
We have been severely out played in each game. It's great that we are tied instead of down by 2. It gives us a chance to right the ship and take this series.
We need Steve Dangle to comment on the first two games. He would be irate at how badly the Jets were outplayed. I hope the 7-0 win a couple weeks ago can be repeated but I also hope to win the lottery :cool:

Thanks for taking one for the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad