Semifinals: New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Series tied 2-2) Part.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
TB is 18 million over the cap. That loophole will be fixed in the summer.

So if they don't win the cup this year, well....missed opportunity.

There's going to be a mass exodus of players this offsesson.

I don't think the league can do anything til the next CBA but I believe at that stage they'll just make the cap count all season long

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
One of the hardest, heaviest shots in the league. Clocked at over 105 mph. But you want to throw Vasi under the bus for lack of coverage on him, be my guest. They should know better -- from last year:
I'm not sure what you're on about. There's not a player in this league who shoot the puck so hard that a point shot 5 hole isn't a bad goal.

Vasi allowed one bad goal but other than that he was really good. No one's throwing him under the bus.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'm not sure what you're on about. There's not a player in this league who shoot the puck so hard that a point shot 5 hole isn't a bad goal.

Vasi allowed one bad goal but other than that he was really good. No one's throwing him under the bus.

That wasn't 5hole, it looked like it handcuffed him and squeaked through the arm and body. Not a great goal but not a huge gaffe either.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Solid game by the Isles. Just need to keep that sustained forecheck/puck pressure and avoid penalties - that should lead to more success. Let's see how TB responds...

denis5

Mar 13, 2007

Wasn't a 5-hole shot. Rocketed off the top of his pad and under his arm. Either way, the bigger mistake was not having that shot covered. I hope Tampa keeps leaving him open.

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I don't think the league can do anything til the next CBA but I believe at that stage they'll just make the cap count all season long

The obvious solution is that players who don’t play in the regular season at all are ineligible for the playoffs. Trying to extend the salary cap into the playoffs is much messier.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Wasn't a 5-hole shot. Rocketed off the top of his pad and under his arm. Either way, the bigger mistake was not having that shot covered. I hope Tampa keeps living him open.
My mistake, still not a good goal. Vasi makes that save 99 times out of 100. I wouldn't blame the D for giving him that shot, it should be a routine save for a goalie like Vasi.

Still, Vasi kept them in the game for a long time while Tampa didn't generate much. Varlamov had his life easy. No one in their right mind should put any blame on Vasi for that game.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The obvious solution is that players who don’t play in the regular season at all are ineligible for the playoffs. Trying to extend the salary cap into the playoffs is much messier.
Make it a minimum number of games during the regular season to be eligible (3-5 possibly?) when coming off IR as well as be cap compliant through the playoffs.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I think what we are seeing here compared to last year is that the Islanders are now a well rested and healthy team. Last year they had a couple of brutal long series against the Capitals and Flyers and they had to play the Lightning with only day of rest between those long series expectedly losing the opener at an embarrassing 8-2. The Islanders were out of gas by the time they met up with the Bolts. By game 2, they already lost their top defenseman Adam Pelech and Casey Cizikis from their top defensive line. The team wasn't playing at full strength yet they still took the Bolts to a game 6.

This year they also added some key pieces in a revamped 3rd line with Palmieri and veteran Zajac flanking the Pageau. The Isles can essentially roll 3 lines that can all be thought of as the #1 line. All defensively responsible. All tough to play against. All with talented scorers. As for the 4th line- a line which has been for so long considered the "best 4th line in hockey", what more can be said. They are one heck of a tough line to score against and their speciality is scoring those ugly goals when most needed.

I think the Islander's offense is highly underrated. They don't score many goals but that's by design. They are now a defensive minded team, but a few years ago the Islanders were I believe top 5 in offensive scoring until Trotz put a lid on it in favor of defense. Don't take the Isles offense lightly, when they want to score they can score. Unlike in past years they don't try to generate too much offense, they sit back like a stalking lion and wait for their prey to make a mistake and then they mercilessly attack in waves with precision.

On defense, they added slick puck mover Dobson this year as well to the Islanders already quite mobile and tough defense sporting the likes of smooth skater Leddy. The top pairing has Pelech one if not the leagues top shutdown defenseman and Pulock who sports one of the hardest shots in the league already tying the record of most game winning goals by a defenseman during a playoffs. One more goal and he sets a record. Round this out with Scott Mayfield a 6'4 225 pound "tower of power" and wily vet Greene and you got yourself one heck of a defensive corp.

Then you have our goaltenders Varlamov and Sorokin arguably the best goaltending tandem in the league. Individually supremely talented but stick the best defensive team in the league in front of them and they are a hard pair to compete against.

This is THE best Islander team I have witnessed since I watch my dynasty Islanders win their 4 cups in the 80's. From the GM down, this is about as perfect an Islander team going back as far as I can remember. I can't find one player who doesn't serve a purpose and perform it well on this team The coaching staff led by Trotz is also arguably the best in the league. There are not many outstanding superstars on this team other than possibly Barzal, but as a whole as in the whole is greater than the sum of its parts this is about as good as it gets and it has to be good considering the division that the Islanders play in. They have to be good when playing against rivals of the such like the Capitals, Penguins, Bruins, Flyers, and Rangers. The Bolts never had to regularly face teams of that caliber and that has always been to their advantage. But again this years Islanders are well rested. As Beauvillier said they had some unfinished business to take care of with the Lightning. If game one is an indication, he wasn't kidding. This should be a fun series but I expect the Islanders to dominate.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's just game 1. Could have honestly gone either way but thought Isles deserved game 1. Lightning made too many mistakes with the puck. They'll be better.
I can definitely see TB be better in game 2. They seemed ill prepared by the Isles Defensive structure yesterday. I know the 2 divisions have not played in over a year, this may be it. But surprised nevertheless. I do expect the Bolts to be a lot harder to play against in game 2. Cooper is a master motivator, and tactician. He will have his team ready. In the end you have 2 great coaches coaching here. TB will probably go to a more intense forecheck by dumping the puck into a specific corner and creating havoc game. Also expecting to see a lot more scrums in game 2. It is only going to get more intense with each game. Should be great for hockey fans to watch.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Except the NHLPA would rightfully say "f*** that stupid idea""

Dougie Hamilton's remarks definitely tell you there has to be a core of players pissed off at what Tampa did. I'm sure a good percentage would be fine with some monetary ding jobs here or there if it mean they did not screwed out of a cup by a 90-100 mill payroll team

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I think what we are seeing here compared to last year is that the Islanders are now a well rested and healthy team. Last year they had a couple of brutal long series against the Capitals and Flyers and they had to play the Lightning with only day of rest between those long series expectedly losing the opener at an embarrassing 8-2. The Islanders were out of gas by the time they met up with the Bolts. By game 2, they already lost their top defenseman Adam Pelech and Casey Cizikis from their top defensive line. The team wasn't playing at full strength yet they still took the Bolts to a game 6.

This year they also added some key pieces in a revamped 3rd line with Palmieri and veteran Zajac flanking the Pageau. The Isles can essentially roll 3 lines that can all be thought of as the #1 line. All defensively responsible. All tough to play against. All with talented scorers. As for the 4th line- a line which has been for so long considered the "best 4th line in hockey", what more can be said. They are one heck of a tough line to score against and their speciality is scoring those ugly goals when most needed.

I think the Islander's offense is highly underrated. They don't score many goals but that's by design. They are now a defensive minded team, but a few years ago the Islanders were I believe top 5 in offensive scoring until Trotz put a lid on it in favor of defense. Don't take the Isles offense lightly, when they want to score they can score. Unlike in past years they don't try to generate too much offense, they sit back like a stalking lion and wait for their prey to make a mistake and then they mercilessly attack in waves with precision.

On defense, they added slick puck mover Dobson this year as well to the Islanders already quite mobile and tough defense sporting the likes of smooth skater Leddy. The top pairing has Pelech one if not the leagues top shutdown defenseman and Pulock who sports one of the hardest shots in the league already tying the record of most game winning goals by a defenseman during a playoffs. One more goal and he sets a record. Round this out with Scott Mayfield a 6'4 225 pound "tower of power" and wily vet Greene and you got yourself one heck of a defensive corp.

Then you have our goaltenders Varlamov and Sorokin arguably the best goaltending tandem in the league. Individually supremely talented but stick the best defensive team in the league in front of them and they are a hard pair to compete against.

This is THE best Islander team I have witnessed since I watch my dynasty Islanders win their 4 cups in the 80's. From the GM down, this is about as perfect an Islander team going back as far as I can remember. I can't find one player who doesn't serve a purpose and perform it well on this team The coaching staff led by Trotz is also arguably the best in the league. There are not many outstanding superstars on this team other than possibly Barzal, but as a whole as in the whole is greater than the sum of its parts this is about as good as it gets and it has to be good considering the division that the Islanders play in. They have to be good when playing against rivals of the such like the Capitals, Penguins, Bruins, Flyers, and Rangers. The Bolts never had to regularly face teams of that caliber and that has always been to their advantage. But again this years Islanders are well rested. As Beauvillier said they had some unfinished business to take care of with the Lightning. If game one is an indication, he wasn't kidding. This should be a fun series but I expect the Islanders to dominate.
If we're talking about being full strength last year, it's worth noting that the Lightning were missing Brayden Point in both Isles wins last season, as well as Stamkos for the entire postseason.

Your other points on the Islanders are valid, but I'd avoid extrapolating too much from game 1. The Lightning are a paltry 4-11 since 2014 in their first game at home in a series, including 0-3 this year. 2-8 in home game 1s.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
My mistake, still not a good goal. Vasi makes that save 99 times out of 100. I wouldn't blame the D for giving him that shot, it should be a routine save for a goalie like Vasi.

Still, Vasi kept them in the game for a long time while Tampa didn't generate much. Varlamov had his life easy. No one in their right mind should put any blame on Vasi for that game.
Vasi is the reason it was only a 2-1 game. Could have easily been 5-1.

Reactions: golffuul

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Seriously. Normally comparing crowds is a certain type of measuring contest but I've just never seen a playoff crowd that quiet before from puck drop. These fans didn't even get to go to the playoffs last year either so it's not like this is old hat.

Yeah in our series I was completely shocked by this. I know Tampa isn't a hockey city by any means but still, show some enthusiasm for the damn best team in the league the last 2 years in the frigging playoffs. That place was just dead, relative to other stadiums. Nashville made Tampa look like it has an AHL fanbase, frankly.

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
Since 2000...the lowest average attendance was 14906 and that was in the 2000 season

The season you are talking about they averaged 16497

I just hate stupid BS thats based on "feelings and emotion" not raw data.

I don't like the team so I'll lie and disparage them. Great way to look stupid because I have zero problem calling the BS out. I did.
touchy aren't we
I was talking about the 2 games I went to, between the TWO WORST TEAMS and it wasn't jammed packed standing room only like you'd have everyone believe. I had a 3 game plan that I bought direct from Lightning ticket sales that cost me $15 total. The tickets were something like $25 or $40 face value each.

One of the tickets of the package, I traded my $5 ticket and $30 to get the all you can eat club seat.

Reactions: Wanderson

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They will just make it so a player has to have been on the regular season roster for 1 game to be eligible for the playoffs. Not a stupid rule and still allows for some flexibility.
They just need to make the cap work through the full season (including playoffs). That would solve the problem of a team having a $400 trillion contract situation.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I can definitely see TB be better in game 2. They seemed ill prepared by the Isles Defensive structure yesterday. I know the 2 divisions have not played in over a year, this may be it. But surprised nevertheless. I do expect the Bolts to be a lot harder to play against in game 2. Cooper is a master motivator, and tactician. He will have his team ready. In the end you have 2 great coaches coaching here. TB will probably go to a more intense forecheck by dumping the puck into a specific corner and creating havoc game. Also expecting to see a lot more scrums in game 2. It is only going to get more intense with each game. Should be great for hockey fans to watch.

One thing that is for sure is Tampa will need to generate more at 5v5. I dont see tampa getting a ton of pp time vs this team as proven they don't get called very often. In fact the two calls they got last night seemed like game management calls because tampa was losing and they wanted to do something to even up calls. So tampa needs to be better at 5v5 to win this series. They definitely can and if they are I think it could lead to more calls the other way because when you are chasing the game that is when you can become undisciplined. First goals are gonna be so important for this series. As it usually is with good defending teams.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Then what is even the point? Literally every single team will be able to manage that.

No it prevents egregious abuses of the current system which will stop the people crying in this thread. Teams game the cap all the time with players and injuries. The reason people are so butt hurt this time is because it is so transparent.

I really don't get what the issue is multiple teams did what TB did this year just not to the extent they did it. Its kind of LOL to see people lose their minds over it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
No it prevents egregious abuses of the current system which will stop the people crying in this thread. Teams game the cap all the time with players and injuries. The reason people are so butt hurt this time is because it is so transparent.

I really don't get what the issue is multiple teams did what TB did this year just not to the extent they did it. Its kind of LOL to see people lose their minds over it.

It's because it's tampa there wasn't this much outrage when Chicago won their 3rd over the Lightning doing the exact same thing. If so would have read about it every year after 15 but maybe saw a little about it? If this was NY or even Pittsburgh nobody would care but since it's a southern team who nobody wanted to be a good team to begin with. It's annoyed the hell out of some people over the years the success the Lightning have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad