WC: Semifinal Pre-Game Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
It's a bit hard to get really high about this game. Finns have already overachieved and if they lose to Sweden with all its NHL stars, there's no reason to get traumas. Finland has nothing to lose this time but Team Sweden has the pressure: home ice, better players and disappointment last year. I bet Sweden falls harder if it loses.

I really would've like to meet Russian again in the playoffs. It'd be so nice to watch Finns heating the Pepsi-drinking stars and winning them with this John Doe team.

I think media (those damned tabloids) is trying to build up some war by writing those "articles" about what has been written in the comment sections on the other side of the small sea. Ordinary people are not really that high. They know that Finland has chance to win, but probabilities are against it.

Iltasanomat is really trying to light the fire:
bin-1289063684477.jpeg

Ok, it's a bit funny (I have to admit), but it really doesn't reflect what an average Finn thinks about Sedins or Swedish players in general. It's just media provocation to build up a fire.

Last edited:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I fear that we already saw the most intense game of the tournament a week ago (FIN-RUS). It was something I haven't seen in long time at national level. I also think that Russia is taking the top enemy spot from Sweden. Finland and Russia have played many times during last years in meaningful and intense games. Many friends of mine agree with me that Russia is now the no.1 rival.

It's hard to get in "hate mode" against Sweden nowadays. Team Sweden has became more odorless, tasteless and colorless. The scary arch enemies like Sundin, Forsberg, Näslund, Alfredsson etc. have retired or are not in the team. Current generation of Swedish players hasn't traumatized Finns yet.

Yes, I kind of agree with this. That may have been the game of the tourney in terms of atmosphere for us. Also agree about the long term situation. Part of it comes from a couple of disgusting personalities on team Russia that makes it impossible to root for that team under any circumstances (Kovalchuk, Radulov). There's nobody really annoying/disgusting on the Swedish roster.

Edit: I predict a 5-2 win for Sweden. Obviously hoping for the reverse but that is not realistic after over-achieving so much already.

Last edited:

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
It's a bit hard to get really high about this game. Finns have already overachieved and if they lose to Sweden with all its NHL stars, there's no reason to get traumas. Finland has nothing to lose this time but Team Sweden has the pressure: home ice, better players and disappointment last year. I bet Sweden falls harder if it loses.

I really would've like to meet Russian again in the playoffs. It'd be so nice to watch Finns heating the Pepsi-drinking stars and winning them with this John Doe team.

I think media (those damned tabloids) is trying to build up some war by writing those "articles" about what has been written in the comment sections on the other side of the small sea. Ordinary people are not really that high. They know that Finland has chance to win, but probabilities are against it.

Iltasanomat is really trying to light the fire:
bin-1289063684477.jpeg

Ok, it's a bit funny (I have to admit), but it really doesn't reflect what an average Finn thinks about Sedins or Swedish players in general. It's just media provocation to build up a fire.

The creepy thing about that article was them calling the Sedins "pretty":cry:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Finland is a little bit like Canada.

Warriors with great self confidence believing they are better than they actually are.

Sweden will win if we play up to our capacity.

Please continue with all Sedin bashing, it's not easy to make the calm twins upset but they play so much better when angry. ;-)

I really wish MÃ¥rts would have had Landeskog between the twins instead of Loui.

The Sedins and Loui are too soft together. :-(

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Sweden will take the game if they play even close to their potential. They have the better players by far. But Finland has the better coach.

Finland also has one obnoxious but good scoring line, one with an incapable center between two decent wingers (although one of them has disappointed me), another one with a capable center between two stone-handed wingers and a 4th line.

WildFinn*

Sweden will take the game if they play even close to their potential. They have the better players by far. But Finland has the better coach. Finland also has one obnoxious but good scoring line, one with an incapable center between two decent wingers (although one of them has disappointed me), another one with a capable center between two stone-handed wingers and a 4th line.

I heard Granlund has been moved to 2C so there is hope.:handclap:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Finland and Switzerland.

Unless Finns win the championship I hope that SUI goes 10-0. That would be awesome! :laugh:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

That's a good change. :) Salminen has been disappointing in this tournament, but he's played the best with Granlund.

Anyway, this team played its best game (at least so far) against Russia. They didn't even play with fire in the QF, which should've been the best game of the tournament. The only reason Finland has a shot in this game is because they're playing Sweden, which could fire them up (although I think these players who have made their careers in the KHL get more fired up by Russia than Sweden). They wouldn't have had much of a chance against Canada.

WildFinn*

That's a good change. :) Salminen has been disappointing in this tournament, but he's played the best with Granlund.

Anyway, this team played its best game (at least so far) against Russia. They didn't even play with fire in the QF, which should've been the best game of the tournament. The only reason Finland has a shot in this game is because they're playing Sweden, which could fire them up (although I think these players who have made their careers in the KHL get more fired up by Russia than Sweden). They wouldn't have had much of a chance against Canada.

Agreed but i think Korpikoski and MG have enough skill.
Pihlström would bring something else to the mix and maybe the third line would also come alive with Salminen there.

But im happy with this also, gives hope that the coaching staff is not totally braindead.

They have to give everything in this game or hide the whole summer from drunken insults.:laugh:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Agreed but i think Korpikoski and MG have enough skill.
Pihlström would bring something else to the mix and maybe the third line would also come alive with Salminen there.

But im happy with this also, gives hope that the coaching staff is not totally braindead.

They have to give everything in this game or hide the whole summer from drunken insults.:laugh:

Well, if Jalonen was brain dead, then MÃ¥rts must be a zombie :laugh: The guy decided to use the sisters in the shootout. Had he ever seen them play before? He practically offered the Canadians a chance to eliminate the team on a silver platter, but Team Canada decided not to grab it.
I think Jalonen must've been drunk when he decided to take Viitaluoma and Haataja along, but at least he was able to hide those mistakes in the pressbox and they're no longer messing things up on the ice.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
I can't wait for the game to start! I expect a lot of people in Switzerland to be watching the game tonight.

America's 8-3 win was impressive and Switzerland might go down like that as well, but with 8 wins in a row we have proven that we are able to beat anyone in this tournament. The keys to the win for Switzerland will be:

- great goaltending from Reto Berra
- solid defensive work; a big game from Roman Josi is needed
- the powerplay; we have the best of the tournament and it needs to stay that way.

With other words: We just need to keep playing like we have. Would love to see Nino and Moser a bit more physical again and distribute some checks, the US will play physical anyway.

Hopp Schwiiz!

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Well, if Jalonen was brain dead, then MÃ¥rts must be a zombie :laugh: The guy decided to use the sisters in the shootout. Had he ever seen them play before? He practically offered the Canadians a chance to eliminate the team on a silver platter, but Team Canada decided not to grab it.
I think Jalonen must've been drunk when he decided to take Viitaluoma and Haataja along, but at least he was able to hide those mistakes in the pressbox and they're no longer messing things up on the ice.

I don't think the choice of using the Sedins in the SO was THAT bad though, what were his options? I would honestly not feel comfortable using anyone except Loui in a situation like that. Pettersson was the wildcard and it worked this time.

I don't think we are favorites in this game at all, the team has played like crap most of the tournament. Granberg, Tallinder, Kronwall and Gustafsson were excellent in the game against Canada as well as our top forwards. They have to play like that today and the team has to stick to that "boring" hockey to be effective. Let the Finns have the puck, let's keep them to the outside, create turnovers and kill it on the PP. It's easier to play like that against Canada.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Before the tournament I put a little money on USA because the odds were too good. With Russia being the heavy favourite, everyone else was wide open it seemed. Then I looked at the roster and realized why the odds were what they were. But it's good they're doing well. I LOVE an underdog story, but I can't pick against what would fatten up my wallet.

On the other side, Sweden better show up and if they do, they should win. Fingers crossed!

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Maybe among the elitists. You know, the spoiled kids and the ones who actually believe that Sweden is somehow "bigger" and "better" than Finland

Have to disagree on this one.
I don't think it's among the elitists or the spoiled ones.
It's among those who have no complexes about SWE.
Personally I know we're "bigger" and "better" in some things
and they're "bigger" and "better" in other things.
And we're many.

Rivalry yes, if we play against them.
Support yes, if we're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes