WJC: Semi-final pre-game talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Yes and i think you are one of those "we have lose already" and pessimistic blind eye Finnish people which are not rarely in here. Let's look the game, but i think my comment looks closer to the truth after this game than many other.

I am not pessimistic or a member of the anti-jinx movement. I just try to be realistic and there are glaring weaknesses in our team. Hopefully you are right about the game, though.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
There isn't much recovery time between the quarters and semis so perhaps it was out of necessity that team Finland didn't seem to go pedal on the metal all the time against Slovakia. Regardless, it's a bad situation for a depleted and young defense.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
I am not pessimistic or a member of the anti-jinx movement. I just try to be realistic and there are glaring weaknesses in our team. Hopefully you are right about the game, though.

Ok, that's good to hear. I think not often can say who's win Swe-Fin games before game cause they both give's everything these games, more than against other countries. Still i have watch 3 Sweden games and they have looked poor, even against Slovaks which didn't give anything that game, only focus to they Swiss game. Russia was so badly against Sweden and still Sweden almost loss that game, but they get 3 lucky goals (go to the TSN if you haven't see those). So if Sweden plays like they have play last games, Finland will murder them, but if they step up at least 50% better playing they will win Finland, but i don't see that happen.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
I expect the Finland vs. Sweden game to be highscoring but real tight game.

The game is 6-6 after the regulation and Finland wins it in OT.

Most of the goals are made by lesser known players from both teams.

Let's get it going allready!! :yo:

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
I'm at work and on my phone hard to navigate, was wondering if anyone knew the date and time for the Gold Medal game?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Anyway I am torn between the Finn and Swede game as I am both part Finn and Swede

Swedes are prettier, so by physical prowess we should win.

Evidence.

ept_sports_nhl_experts-218990459-1265091175.jpg

I expect the Finland vs. Sweden game to be highscoring but real tight game.

The game is 6-6 after the regulation and Finland wins it in OT.

That is a true circular paradox. It is, yet it isn't.

Feels like dividing by zero.

Last edited by a moderator:

chimmy93

Jan 2, 2012
Just remember tonight, the longer russia stays around the more dangerous they become. Vasilevsky has the talent to upset a powerhouse like the canadians and he has prooved that this tournament. Russia has played this whole tournament more defensively then they've played in the past. I think it'll be a intresting and nail bitting game. Also, Watch out for Sweden - Finland, im predicting Finalnd upsets the swedes, they are on fire right now. All the finns need is a steady performance by aittokallio (Sorry if i misspelled) And they should have a berth to the finals.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Can someone give info about the injuries for both team, Finland and Sweden? Which team has the edge in that? Is Määttä still injured and anyone else from Finland?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Without trying to wind-anyone up (excessively), I honestly think there's a 75-25 chance for the good guys. The team isn't the most skilled ever but far from talentless. They are a great deep allround hockey team who play a nice blend of Swedish and NA hockey. Not that there have been a huge amount of sexy big hits, but it's an unusually big, strong and hard skating team that doesn't mind dump and chase and have looked great along the boards while not afraid of going to to the crease.
Honestly I don't understand the whole "worst team in years" bit.. We've had some of our best teams ever recently and while it's not as good as say the incredible 2009 team, it's still up there among the best. Also, it looks to be an extremely mentally composed Sweden WJC team with their eyes on the prize.
And Rönnberg is a bawse, while the Finnish coach just got this job at the job application center. Main worry is goaltending, but it's not as though the Finns have Rinne in goal (or Mrazek or Vasilevski for that matter). It should also be said that special teams haven't convinced me.

On the bright side Klingberg seems to be benched so hopefully they won't get too many freebies.

Finland hasn't been overly impressive, but have done well and you just never know with those guys, especially in a knockout game against their arch-enemy. And they do have some great players, even beyond Granlund like Pulkkinen, Armia and Salomäki. But my confidence mostly comes from the fact that that defense.. just doesn't win championships.
Also, when was the last time a Finland team beat Sweden at the WJC's?

Ny rillataan! ;)

Would be stupid to compare this team to the Finland teams of the past. I'd go and say we've NEVER had this skilled team in u-20 even though some say that we did around Saku Koivu/J. Lehtinen times or T.Ruutu times. The team is like how Russians are usually seen as very skilled with guaranteed discipline added. If Aittokallio has a good game Sweden can't win.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Is it just me or does Valeri Bragin look like the most miserable son of a ***** on the face of the planet?

He just looks...unsavoury.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Would be stupid to compare this team to the Finland teams of the past. I'd go and say we've NEVER had this skilled team in u-20 even though some say that we did around Saku Koivu/J. Lehtinen times or T.Ruutu times. The team is like how Russians are usually seen as very skilled with guaranteed discipline added. If Aittokallio has a good game Sweden can't win.

Really?

I think this game can go either way but in no way is Finland that good that it all depends on Aittokallio.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Finnish F might be the best in years but the D is still just a bunch of underage kids who will crumble under pressure like they did against Canada in the first game. Too many butterflies in their stomachs. I hope I'm wrong but that's the impression they have left on me so far.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I've checked out all the best swedes of their team and their stats really dont impress me much. Last year many swedes got drafted at first round but really havent reached their potential as some would have expected.

Swedish team seems to have a good spirit, which is usually the strongest point of Finland. This year Finland does not do difference and we are well organized as always, which has suprised me personally.

Considering our goalie Sammi Aitakulovio well be steaming hot + our extremely talented offense, Finland could actually be the topdog.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Finnish F might be the best in years but the D is still just a bunch of underage kids who will crumble under pressure like they did against Canada in the first game. Too many butterflies in their stomachs. I hope I'm wrong but that's the impression they have left on me so far.

Probably how I see it aswell. It's quite possible Finland goes to the final by beating Sweden but if they are facing Canada there it aint going to be pretty.

The Boyle Sisters

six dollar papers
Sep 14, 2011

this is pretty much my biggest, and almost the only fear going in to this game. 1 hour to go!

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi

There are actually only two REALLY underaged kids: Pokka and Ristolainen. Olli Määttä is still injured.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Probably how I see it aswell. It's quite possible Finland goes to the final by beating Sweden but if they are facing Canada there it aint going to be pretty.

In the eventual case of us facing Canada again, it won't be the same as in the first one, whether it's in the final or the bronze game. Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad