WJC: Semi-final pre-game talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
We we we so excited!

Prediction: Finland and Canada to the finals.

HabsIslesFan

Aug 5, 2011
Would have been cool to see the Czech's pull off an upset tonight but I am pumped up to see Russia and Canada tomorrow! Can Canada shut down the high flyin Russians?

4thliner*

Damn, Canada DOMINATES the tourney and round robin games only to get the other 2 top teams in Russia and Sweden back to back...not even avoid one.

But hey, game on. I am confident we can crush these guys.

In Stone we trust.

Would be nice to get for guys like Mark Scheifele to wake the **** up these next too games also.

4thliner*

Would have been cool to see the Czech's pull off an upset tonight but I am pumped up to see Russia and Canada tomorrow! Can Canada shut down the high flyin Russians?

Have you seen Canada's blue-line....littered with top 2-way blue-chip prospects. If Canada gets any kind of goaltending, they are gonna bury these Russians.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mara

May 10, 2011
Probably gonna be a CAN-SWE final but I hope it's gonna be a FIN-RUS.

Gotta love the underdogs.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I hope Vasilevskiy has another awesome game.

That's what it will probably take for Russia to beat Canada.

4thliner*

I hope Vasilevskiy has another awesome game.

That's what it will probably take for Russia to beat Canada.

Nottin...Stone is gonna bury him early and we're gonna do him often

Canada already rolled over the goalie of the tourney in Mrazek who was playing unreal and was the best player on his team BY FAR 5-0. That Russian goalie ain't gonna stop Canada.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Nottin...Stone is gonna bury him early and we're gonna do him often

Canada already rolled over the goalie of the tourney in Mrazek who was playing unreal and was the best player on his team BY FAR 5-0. That Russian goalie ain't gonna stop Canada.

You should stop.

Anyways, the Russian speed (and skill) will be tough to handle for Canadian defensemen. They have backed up too much in the tournament, but if they do that against Russia tomorrow night, the Russians will kill us. Gotta play tough and physical during the rush and cycle against them.

In the past, goaltending has been a weakness for Russia, but this year it's their biggest strength so I'm very nervous.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Pros for Canada:
- despite what the locals may think, they still have an amazing team
- well-rested
- home ice
- easy motivation as opposed to getting up for a Canada-Cze game

Pros for Russia:
- still convinced this is the best group of players Russia has put together in some time
- coming off an emotional win which should be good for morale
- won't have problems underestimating opponent as they often do

not going into cons because... well... **** it

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
I expect Canada to control the play for the most part tomorrow as their team play is much better than the Russians. However, the Russians have the talent to capitalize when they get the chance and a great goaltender so it wouldn't be too surprising to see them win. If Canada has another quick start they could roll over Russia, but if it stays close early the Canadians might get a little anxious.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
talent to capitalize is what worries me. Russian team is extremely skillful. This is the most talented team that I've seen in a long time, but their finishing has been lacking vs opponents that they shouldn't have so much trouble beating and chances vs Canada will be much much more scarce than they have been vs Czechs, Swedes, Swiss etc so I don't know how this will fare

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Russia has the talent to score some goals against Canada. But I also see the Russian D getting absolutely worked. I think the game will hinge on the play of Vasilevsky.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Oh boy, can't wait for this! Always nervous about playing the Finns, since they enjoy beating us so much. On the other hand, I truly believe we have the better team and they showed great mental strength to overcome the Russians.. Goaltending is the biggest worry though.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Really no reason to be pumped about Russia x Canada matchup. Russians don't stand a chance. 5-1 Canada in an easy way.

Last edited:

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Russia has shown nothing in this tournament. I always think mentally close matches prepare you better for the big games compared to blowing out all your opponents(Happens in most international tournaments). If Russia can hang in then they have some mental toughness from two tough matches and it will be somewhat uncomfortable for Canada to be pushed for the first time, but I doubt Russia will match them.

Will Russia's forwards wake up? Maybe who knows, but they have shown nothing so far which indicates they can match it with Canada. All they have shown me is they are the weakest TEAM of the 4 semi finalists.

Vasilevsky will concede a few early on and Russia will change goal tenders. Canada will run off to a 4-0 lead, Russia will probably claw a few back in the end and it will finish 4-2 or 5-2 to Canada.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Go Russia! I have a feeling Canada will screw up with penalties and Russia will capitalize on the PP

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Russia is going to get their ass handed to them. I think it will be a blowout.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
2 great matches tomorrow. Finns and Swedes are huge rivals. Swedes really like puck possession and I don't seem willing to dump and chase. If Finland plays a tight checking, hard hitting game, like they have traditionally done, they can take Sweden out of their comfort zone and force them into a simple game, which could turn the game into their advantage.

Russia's past 2 games have been long tough ones. Their bench is down to 3 lines. They have the best goalie in the tournament and game breaking forwards, but I think their defense isn't strong and Canada will expose them in the cycle, especially if the Russians are gassed. Yakupov looked good today and as good as Kuznetsov has been, Nail plays in the CHL and he should be comfortable playing against Canada's style of game. I worry that he may break out tomorrow night.

Fulcrum

Everything is stacking against Russia tomorrow. They'll be tired and short, and tired again because they were short last 2 games, and will be even shorter again.

I think Russia will put up a fight, but honestly a blow out (5 goal difference) is very possible as well.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Probably going to cheer on the team that win between Sweden and Finland in the final(Hopfully Sweden :yo:). Can't look away from the fact that I'm 50 % finn.. Only word I know tho is Voi and vittu ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad